This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#130480 December 26th, 2005 at 09:40 PM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
Snow that is, we had a mild winter and had hardly any. We should of had about 3 ft and had only 3 inches. Well Santa must of heard because it started snowing at dinner time yesterday and has turned into a blizzard, we have gotten a foot and a half so far with another foot to fall by the end of the day, thats about 75 cm or more in one storm.

You cannot see the neighbours house and they've pulled everyone off the roads except for emergency vehicles and goverment plows (which DH is driving since 4am) Makes me worry now when it storms. There is a storm surge warning for the coast with damaging winds for the south. There will be alot of damage by the time this ones done.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, I couldn't even make it to my mothers last night, she's depressed today.

#130481 December 27th, 2005 at 03:41 AM
Tamara- I hope everything turns out all right. If it ever snowed here every thing would be shut down. I dont want to think about it!

#130482 December 27th, 2005 at 06:53 AM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
Well we've gotten well over 2 feet so far and they are calling for another foot overnight, what a storm. Reminds me of the "Little house on the prairie" show when they are storm stuck, we'll probably soon be losing power.

Got water, candles and batteries all ready. DH is still on the plow truck. If the wind strikes up we are in big trouble here.

#130483 December 27th, 2005 at 06:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
tamara, prayers for you! i hate snow with such a passion that i told hubby that when i die, he better bury me where it doesn't snow or i will haunt him 'till he dies shk laugh laugh laugh

#130484 December 27th, 2005 at 07:07 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Tamara..I'm praying that you don't loose power! I have never been around that much snow...but I have been in some pretty bad ice storms and they are NO fun!!! we were without power for a little over 2 weeks...but some people didn't get power restored for over a month!!! It is just awful! Keep us updated as long as you can..you know we are a bunch of worry warts around here....

~V~

#130485 December 27th, 2005 at 09:39 PM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
Well we kept our power, they pulled the plows off the roads at midnight because of the zero visability, people were parking on the sides of the roads because they couldn't get in their gates. Not a good combination.

DH was called back out at 4:30 this morning, it has stopped snowing but the wind has started up, gonna be a big mess now. The snow is against the bottom of my windows, I am sure we got about 3 feet. It's calling for another storm on thursday and friday.

Well I wanted snow so I guess I got it. Now I am storm stuck. Our boxing day sales only start today and I am going to miss them all, maybe I'll get to town tomorrow.

#130486 December 27th, 2005 at 09:40 PM
Tamara - I hope things have calmed down there by now! I know what it's like to feel like a shut-in with all that snow - had a bit of it like that when we lived in Alaska. Not so bad here in NY, but there are still storms that shut everything down for a day because no one knows how to deal with them. You'd think by now they would have a plan...

It must be gorgeous there now though - has the sun come out yet?

#130487 December 27th, 2005 at 09:43 PM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
Nope no sun yet, it's still cloudy because the storm just ended about 15 minutes ago, calling for sun tomorrow though.

#130488 December 28th, 2005 at 02:48 AM
It will look glorious when the sun shines on all that snow but I am sorry that you are stuck in the middle of it. When I was younger my husband and I ran a group home for people with developmental disabilities and mental illness - our non PC neighbors called it a bunch of crazy retarded people (the staff were much crazier than the clients) and we were hit by 28 inches of snow followed a few days later by 29 inches.

The cars were covered and the last of the streets weren't plowed for 2 months, the stores ran out of food and we had to hike out with back packs to buy whatever we could find. We had an old coal stove and a couple of tons of coal in the basement so at least we were warm.

Here in Georgia life comes to a screeching halt for a half inch of snow, which gives us a few hours of rest and relaxation since no one shovels. "If the good Lord sent it, the good Lord will take it away" is the southern theory of snow removal. You would be socked in til July there.

#130489 December 28th, 2005 at 07:53 AM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
Well DH finally came home from work and then he cleaned the driveway with the tractor. We have never gotten this much in one storm. I am going to town tomorrow to stock up on groceries because they are calling for two more storms by this week end. I had to shovel snow away from the bottom of my windows. There is just no place to put it all.

The kids are going to love it when it warms up outside, they will be sledding alot this week. I think I am going to buy a snow tube tomorrow for myself. Someone has to take two year old god daughter sledding laugh

The banks at the end of the road and along them are taller than the cars. The roads are still a little messy. I hate the fact that I am an hours drive from town so I'll make this trip worth my while and buy lots. I certainly got to try out my snow boots that mom bought me for Xmas, she said they are the ugliest boots she's ever seen, I just called her to tell her that they are as warm as they are ugly, must not forget to get new knitting needles tomorrow, if I'm going to be storm stuck I may as well start knitting again.

Link Copied to Clipboard