This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13044 December 8th, 2003 at 10:50 PM
OP Offline
Are paperwhites really one time only bulbs? Duh I've done a little research and most places say so, but I was just wondering. This is the first year I've grown them and they are doing so well. I have 5 pots of them going, all are planted in soil. Some of the things I've read seem to say that if they are planted in water only, then that kind of depletes them too much for them to come back. But what about soil grown? Anyone have any luck getting them to come back? teech Just curious...

#13045 December 9th, 2003 at 05:56 PM
Its your zone dear they need a cold period of about 6-8 weeks.i know it sucks...cause if you have in fridge you cannot have fruit in there durring the time your bulbs are or the gasses sterilize your bulbs.I have tulip bulbs chilling currently in fridge& I swear this year am mailing them to my friend pam in WI.I love my tulip blooms but is just too much hassle for me for a look of blooms for 3 weeks& i love my darwin hybrids
I think bill has a post on here for force blooming weezie probably knows just where its at

#13046 December 9th, 2003 at 06:35 PM
OP Offline
I thought paperwhites were the one bulb that didn't need the freeze time. I didn't freeze these guys and they are growing away inside.

#13047 December 10th, 2003 at 04:46 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Kristen,
Here's something Bill has in the Garden Helper...
Forcing Bulbs indoors

And another from here as well...................

Forcing Bulbs

Gardengal,
I think personally why they say that is because,
when grown inside the house, their growing requirements are not met as equalaly as it would be out side, thus weakening the bulbs, and I guess when the biggest process for the bulb is when it's dying or rendering back down, they need the proper amounts of sunlight to sap the
energy or green juice from the leaves to put
back into the bulbs for next years flower.....
And without the proper growing conditions, each of the following years, if you save the bulbs, will or would be littler and littler each year after!!!!!!!
Thus, just replacing it everytime...
*it's a throw away society*
Because people want the same size~good sized blooms every year and don't want to put time
into a small or less spectacular bloom.....

Weezie
Does all that make any sense??? Duh
I would give it a shot, try it.
Just for your own satification in knowing you
could or could not do it.....

#13048 December 10th, 2003 at 06:48 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Weezie and njoynit. I read Bill's info before I decided to try them. I painted some 4" terracota pots with holiday designs, planted the bulbs, and was planning on giving them as hostess gifts. When I went to get info to make a little tag that's when I read that they are one-time only (different site, not from Bill). But I think I'll try them again next year (I'll keep one for me) and see what happens. Thanks for all your help. You guys are great! wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard