This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#130117 June 8th, 2005 at 03:57 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, OK, already . . . I have one going at my writing site, so I might as well have one here too . . .

June 7th, 2k5 - I stayed in and caught up on editing my poetry files today - it was just too hot outside. I didn't so much as poke my nose out the door. The cat came in around 2 pm and did not whine to have the door opened again - that's how hot and humid it was here in Toronto.

I went outside to do a couple of jobs around 7.

1) South Island - dug out a patch of lawn where nothing grows - it's about 12 inches across. I realized why nothing grows - there's a flat stone about 8 inches down.

I sifted the soil ('cause the IGA is out of the topsoil again - buggers!). Got some good stuff from my rock garden and topped it off.

I planted a few purple coneflower seeds in it. Hope it doesn't need too deep a root space.

2) Rock Garden - there's a log at the top with a spoon shape at the end - there was a little fungus family growing on the edge of that up to last summer. I don't see it now. The spoon goes right through to the soil, so I dug it out, added good soil, and put a couple of pansies in there.

(I won't run out of pansies - they're always on the 2 fer a buck table at the garden store and someone left a whole pot of them in a gift bag on the table garden today - don't know who)

3) Dragged out the 175 foot hose - only about 75 feet tonight - I hate that thing - it crooks in places, 'cause it's a cheap one, I guess. Watered pretty well everything that's important right now. It got a good soak the night before.

I like to keep after the spots that don't get the benefit of the rain when it does happen.

We got some the other morning, but not a whole lot.

4) I selected a basket for the African Violet display and washed it out.

I have so many baskets out there in the garbage room. It's bulging with all the jazz I collect from everywhere.

See ya' tomorrow.

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
June 8th, 2k5

I had a good day, gardening-wise. A little frustrated though . . .

I didn't take any pictures yet - I did another one of my jobs on those patio stones . . . they're so tiresome. I hate those things. The only reason I bother with them is 'cause they're there. I wish they weren't. They held park benches at one time and the reason they aren't there right now is just too much to get into.

I try to do things with them - they're hard to move. I have to get Jeff to help me with them, and he doesn't even think it's important, so we have to quarrel about it. I've learned to move them by just jiggling them along with a tire iron.

Anyway I moved another one over a bit and created a different shape to the layout. Planted some wild stuff in it. It probably won't live - then again, maybe it will . . . I dunno'.

I had brilliant success with another log. Pat brought more goutweed over along with something that looks like it . . . whatever they are, I planted them around my railway ties. I don't think I've shown any pictures of that.

I also did some in that tree root, and put some orange rocks there . . . and I put another log there and put a plant on it. It's still in the pot, but it's in there and the hole is big enough.

It looks kinda' cute there under the trees in the almost dark.

Here's my frustration . . . I GOT A DELL!

Jeff has spent since yesterday afternoon setting everything up.

My problem is my photos don't look right. I don't know if anybody else has had this problem.

I'm hoping my photos don't look that awful on anybody else's computer. I am going by what it's coming up like on Jeff's. My own is shut down right now. He's going to start using mine tomorrow so he'll see them better.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There's an example - today's download is Skitter Gets a Dell!

Does it look as awful to you as it does on this screen?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr . ..

I don't mind getting used to the mouse being a finger pad - and the cramp in my leg right now as I type.

And my coleus is on the lam!

Oh,I gotta' have a cup of tea now.

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
fffffgggg

sjjjjjjjhh

shhhhhhhhhQ

shhhhhhhhhhhhhha

ahhhhhhhhhhh~

oh, this is terrible - my little lamp died and i have to do this in the dark - beentyping since i was thirteen, so it's not that i don't know where the keys are

yes, i know i'm not using caps . . .

i feel better - just wanted you to know that. i tilted my screen and realized my pictures are just

FINE!

mind you, i can't see a damn thing on the keyboard -0 wwhy

why don't i put a light on

?????

because the bedroom is too close and poor jeff won't be able to sleep

you know what i'll bet he's going to like? ha ha! oh, my gawd - i actually got the exclamation mark on the first try - yeah . . . he's going to like not hearing my keys clacking out here at night 'cause the keyboard on the notebook is quiet.

oh,now i'M JUST rambling.

I got a Dell, Dude!

We'll just have to get to know each other, thaqt's all (i hate changes)

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
fffffgggg

sjjjjjjjhh

shhhhhhhhhQ

shhhhhhhhhhhhhha

ahhhhhhhhhhh~

oh, this is terrible - my little lamp died and i have to do this in the dark - beentyping since i was thirteen, so it's not that i don't know where the keys are

yes, i know i'm not using caps . . .

i feel better - just wanted you to know that. i tilted my screen and realized my pictures are just

FINE!

mind you, i can't see a damn thing on the keyboard -0 wwhy

why don't i put a light on

?????

because the bedroom is too close and poor jeff won't be able to sleep

you know what i'll bet he's going to like? ha ha! oh, my gawd - i actually got the exclamation mark on the first try - yeah . . . he's going to like not hearing my keys clacking out here at night 'cause the keyboard on the notebook is quiet.

oh,now i'M JUST rambling.

I got a Dell, Dude!

We'll just have to get to know each other, thaqt's all (i hate changes)

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
z;''l'/;lk'[

abd '
and there's good news today -0

i got another gift - a plant, of course.

it's a martha washington geranium

pictures tomorrow sometime - i'll be rippin' with this gadget by then, i'll bet.

Meg Offline
Cool Carly.. my neighbor just got a dell too. I got one part delivered here while she was gone.. I think it was the printer, if I remember correctly. (She told me it wasn't with the rest of the stuff she already got 2 days earlier.)

Sounds like you've been very busy!!

Meg

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
You're right, Meg - they deliver the printer separately. The printer came first, then the next day the Dell showed up.

Things are going well with it - had myself in a knot over my photographs. Then I realized something . . . Jeff kept saying 'tilt the screen back' and I thought it was just him talking.

I tilted the screen back . . . my pictures are fine.

Ha ha! I have to laugh at myself.

Well, about gardening . . . yesterday I kept busy out there on the lot. Everybody was sweltering, but I worked with the shade - sometimes you follow the sun. Sometimes you hide from it and that's what I did. As the sun moved, I moved. As soon as it moved into the area I was in, I moved out.

I do have some pictures to show for it. I took them a bit too late in the evening so they aren't all that brilliant.

In the morning I was up at the front of the north lot where there's a lot of shade. I cleaned out my little stone circle. Nothing much is happening with it, but the plants are still alive. I just have to remember to tend to them.

Here's a before and after:

BEFORE

[Linked Image]

AFTER

[Linked Image]

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
You're right, Meg - they deliver the printer separately. The printer came first, then the next day the Dell showed up.

Things are going well with it - had myself in a knot over my photographs. Then I realized something . . . Jeff kept saying 'tilt the screen back' and I thought it was just him talking.

I tilted the screen back . . . my pictures are fine.

Ha ha! I have to laugh at myself.

Well, about gardening . . . yesterday I kept busy out there on the lot. Everybody was sweltering, but I worked with the shade - sometimes you follow the sun. Sometimes you hide from it and that's what I did. As the sun moved, I moved. As soon as it moved into the area I was in, I moved out.

I do have some pictures to show for it. I took them a bit too late in the evening so they aren't all that brilliant.

In the morning I was up at the front of the north lot where there's a lot of shade. I cleaned out my little stone circle. Nothing much is happening with it, but the plants are still alive. I just have to remember to tend to them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was a bit too hot for raking but I did do some on this part of the lot which I call Section 1 (geez I'm obsessed . . . section 1 - I gotta' stop).

Anyway, here's how I left my little haven:

[Linked Image]

And on with South Lot/Section 2

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, for heavens' sake . . . I already showed those ones of the circle - what a twit I am. Oh, well - I'm a nice twit.

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
South Lot Section 2

It begins with the triangle I made around this tree last year . . . I hated this tree, 'cause of the long skirt it made. The side facing the sun was nice enough, but our side is all ratty looking.

Last summer I trimmed her up nicely, made a triangle with big sticks around 'er. Then proceeded to throw pinecones in.

I have never seriously planted around it, other than the back where a few of my bulbs came up (daffs & hyacinthe), but I do try to 'organize' the weeds (wild growth) that grows around there.

Here's yesterday's contribution to this triange:

[Linked Image]

And here's an odd growth that is doing well (whatever it is) beside it. I have a feeling it comes from a potted plant that I dumped there during the winter months.

[Linked Image]

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
South Lot - Section 3

I hate these patio squares - they used to have benches on them - why the benches aren't there any more is another story entirely. I'm just not into an essay on why it is a tenant would go to the landlord and complain that it attracts people who like to sit in apartment lots during the late hours of the night.

So that's all I'll say.

In the last 3 years that I've been working to make this whole apartment lot look like somebody gives a damn, I have struggled to deal with these squares. In this section you can see where we moved the stones back last year to provide for small rectangles. I put the periwinkle in there and it does quite well.

I figured out something creative to do with them yesterday, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

This isn't the best of pictures of that plot of patio squares, but here it is:

[Linked Image]

First I dealt with these darling wild flowers that I put in there last year. I think they've been identified as forget-me-nots. They grow wild in the grass. I like to pick them out and try to grow them - these were successful.

BEFORE

[Linked Image]

AFTER

[Linked Image]

Yep - weeded it out, broke up the roots of the clump and re-planted it, chuckling to myself at one of the tenants here. He likes to make fun of the way I like to get things 'organized'. Everything's gotta' look organized, he says about me.

Now, I'd like to say that I was smart and put stones around these little friends of mine before I went on working with the rest of the slabs, but I did not. Today I found that the critters have been into them. Squirrels will investigated any fresh dig, figuring somebody buried a nut there.

If you put stones around your plant, they won't dig it - they don't like stones.

Anyway - that done.

I was feeling kinda' strong and macho, so I decided to move one of the stones and provide a place for the periwinkle to spread more this summer.

I have this way of poking a tire iron under it and just jiggling them out, then jiggling them along to where I want them.

The ones I wanted to move are between the rectangles . . . more difficult than if they were outside, as you can imagine.

So I began to jiggle them (Jeff would have stopped me immediately so I didn't ask him - he's moved them before, but he doesn't think we should go to all this trouble - piffle! My garden!)

As I was jiggling, I realized how nice it would be to make a shape over a shape.

This is what I came up with.

[Linked Image]

So that was the coupe dee grass of the day.

I took pictures tonight, and it was earlier so when I upload them from the camera I'll be able to provide better shots.

The rest of Friday night was spent running around with the hose - by Jeff! I did a little piddling with my rock garden while he was kind enough to do that for me.

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Now the next step is to match the other side. I sure couldn't do it today - much hotter today. I made myself go out and do some shopping, a meeting and yard sales.

I was exhausted with the heat, but it was fun - got some neat stuff - two pair of harem pants, t-shirts - hoo boy! A big brass swan!

The most I did after my early evening nap tonight was to walk around with my watering jugs in the cart and water what absolutely had to be watered. Jeff did some hosing again.

I doubt that I'll work out on the lot for a couple of days - too much heat!

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
OK - I'm catching up with the photos from Thursday and Friday . . .

Here's the rock garden with that log that has a spoon on the end - I put some pansy plant in it.

[Linked Image]

You can also see that gorgeous mushroom there growing off the stump. I like to see how big I can get them - they'll break if you so much as let them hear you talking about them.

You can also notice I've been popping in some wild mallow - most of that stuff is growing wild in the rock garden, but i'm giving it a nudge here and there.

Meg Offline
My you have been busy Carly! Everything is looking wonderful!

Meg

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Meg - yes, I have made progress. Sometimes I think not, but when I look over the photos I realize I've done a lot.

Jeff doesn't like to see me working like this, but I'm like that - I am fully committed to it.

Well, it's Sunday and it's supposed to be 26 celsius this morning. Going back up to 31 today (which is pretty hot). Our humidity makes it worse. And the pollution, of course.

I think I came to a crossroads this morning - just talking about the garden patches with Jeff. Sometimes in talking about something in particular, I end up realizing some major point about it.

That wild forget-me-not stuff is exactly what I need to cultivate. It's in the grass, easy to get going and you don't need any expensive stuff to keep it going. I think I'm going to go with that stuff. It might be the answer to a lot of these spaces I want to fill.

The stuff around the trees - the wild stuff I've poked in over the last two years does ok without me - I don't need to water it, it seems to thrive on whatever it's given by nature itself.

So, Jeff's right - no more buying plants! Ha! Hard to believe I went out yesterday and didn't come home with any little plants to start up. Besides, everything the fruit markets have out right now is nothing I don't have growing wild somewhere - I just need to nurture it.

Ohhhhhhhhh! Rain! Rain! Rain! So I won't feel compelled to throw these aching bones out onto the lot. I need to rest but those plants and wildflowers are calling me.

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
9:30 a.m. I've looked at the local for environment Canada - we are cooling down a wee wee bit . . . next weekend is supposed to go back to the lower teens - 13 celsius! Unbelievable! I've seen late winter days that come in at 13. Rare, but what's warm for winter, sure is cool for spring/summer.

It's wonderful out there right now - not a whole lot of rain but just enough dampness in the air to give that tropical feel. The birds are tweetering away out there. The forecast has no rain for today, yet you can feel it.

I do know every joint in my body is screaming. Some people owe their day to Clariton - I owe mine to Tylenol for Arthritis.

I'm going to take some right now.

Meg Offline
Carly, I owe my days to all of the above..lol. And bp meds, and cholesterol lowering meds.. and well, for 35, I have too many pill bottles!!

Meg

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I try to keep off stuff like that - prescription drugs I avoid. Not only because I don't have insurance for the pricey drugs, but because I just don't want to have a pharmaceutical collection sitting in the medicine chest.

I take tylenol for arthritis twice a day max, once if I can get away with it. Two big capsules of evening primrose and one centrum.

That's about it.

I haven't been here much, I know. I've done a lot over the course of the last couple of days. We have had some rain but not as much as surrounding areas.

We had two days of storm in Toronto, but we here in High park area didn't get too much of it. A few tree branches blowing around, rain on and off.

Just about 3 miles up the road there was heavy rain yesterday and down here there was little. Funny weather.

I've been working on the periwinkle squares, and a couple of patches in the corners of the lots - especially the ones I avoid when it's hot. The last two days has been a good opportunity to work on those without the sun blasting me.

I'll have to take some more pictures and update my grand schemes.

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are the recent pictures - there's a lot, so get a cup of tea, smoke 'em if ya' got 'em . . .

Wild Willie's Hen

We'll start with Wild Willie - there are a couple of hens in his pot - the sedum in this pot has quadrupled in about 2 weeks - sedum grows fast.

That's some hen, Willie.

[Linked Image]

-----------------------------------

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Table Work June 16th 2k5

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Skitters Inspection of Table Work June 16th

[Linked Image]

----------------------------------------

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Still Dunnos - June 16th

Which means 'I Dunno' what they are.'

[Linked Image]

------------------------------------------------

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Vancouver Island Rockery - 0616

I re-did this display - it was only about 3 weeks old, but it outgrew itself . . .

[Linked Image]

That was a lotta' sedum hangin' there.

Vancouver Rockery Re-Done 0616

[Linked Image]

-------------------------------------------------

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Coral Bell Corner - June 15th

I hate those mucky corners on the lot sections - clay, dead hard soil. I have to dig them out, dump the soil and put new in. That's the only way to battle it. Other than container gardening -but that's not the same.

[Linked Image]

Coral Bell Corner - June 15th

[Linked Image]

----------------------------------

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Washington Point

This is another corner I've mucked around with. I ended up putting half of the Martha Washington Geraniums in there. The others are in the big pot at the corner of the table garden.

They don't bloom in hot weather - it needs to be around 50. But you can plant them; they make nice green.

There's a bit of camomile that Olga found in this point.

[Linked Image]

Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Jeff's Clover - June 16th

That's how Jeff's project is coming on - he just mows around it and lets it grow. It probably offends the blue hat society garden club, but what the heck - it can't bother much on our lot - we're mostly weeds anyway.

[Linked Image]

----------------------------------

South Island Corner Foursome - 1

[Linked Image]

South Island Corner Foursome - 2

[Linked Image]

Thanks to Image Shack

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard