This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#128871 May 15th, 2005 at 03:36 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I was talking to the landlords dad yesterday and he mentioned that the trees on the borders of the weed patch are different kinds of maples. And as I was weeding today I noticed that there appear to be a bunch of seedlings about 4 inches tall in an area that the landlord doesn't want them. I'm wondering what I should do. Do maples seed very easily or is this just a weed that looks like it has maple leaves on it? Is there such a weed? The seedlings are all in the shade.

#128872 May 15th, 2005 at 07:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
tk, i have silver leaf maple growing out the yinyang. they are prolific weed trees if you aren't careful. so, if you want to move a maple go ahead, or pull it up, or mow it down, or whatever works...

#128873 May 15th, 2005 at 07:43 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thank you jiffymouse,

I didn't know that. Better get them now before they are bigger than I am lol. The one to the left of the garden is in bloom and has big green and orange flowers. It looks kind of strange to me I grew up around pine trees and they don't do that. The one in the middle bloomed really early in the spring and had little flowers kinda pinkish. I wonder what the 3rd one will do. It has branches that in the fall when all the leaves are gone look like a chandlier with candle holders on the ends of the branches.

I love gardening it's such an adventure.

#128874 May 15th, 2005 at 09:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by tkhooper:
...I love gardening it's such an adventure.
me too!!!

#128875 May 16th, 2005 at 12:39 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Ok the maple seedlings are alllllll gone. Whew the steeps part of the slope too.

#128876 May 16th, 2005 at 07:26 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
i have silver leaf maple growing out the yinyang.
And so do I!!!! The little seedling things (hubby calls them whirly birds) go everywhere! We could have started a maple tree farm! I pick handfuls of sprouting maple trees out of my garden, flower beds and lawn every day...It drives me crazy!

#128877 May 16th, 2005 at 12:57 PM
Meg Offline
Ok, so what ya'll are saying is that it's a blessing in disguise that I've killed 4 maples that I've planted?? I just can't keep them!! Well, one was doing ok.. till my kiddo whacked it with the rake & chopped it down. frown Oh well. I may as well plant a messy crabapple there.. at least those are growing!! laugh

Meg

Link Copied to Clipboard