This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#128803 June 24th, 2005 at 03:23 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I have to give my husband credit for this one, but it's too good of an idea not to share.
I am in the habit of buying purses and handbags that I THINK I'll like, only to find out that they are not what works for me...too heavy, too little, too big, too many pockets, not enough pockets, plain ugly...you get the idea.
As I was digging through my closet and tossing aside all the empty, almost unused purses and hand bags, my husband laughingly said..."you gonna plant flowers in those too?"
Honestly...the thought never crossed my mind...until that moment!
He delights in teasing me about my "containers" because they range from old coffee cans to the kids old rubber boots.
The old purses really work well!! They have "built in" hangers! Most of them "leak" enough without punching holes in them!The come in a wide variety of colors, shapes and textures! They're just plain CUTE!
LOL...think of all the one's you've passed up at last week-ends garage/rummage sales!

#128804 June 24th, 2005 at 05:17 PM
Meg Offline
Angeliastreefrog, what an inventive idea! I have a few old purses.. that may be a new project. wink laugh

Meg

#128805 June 24th, 2005 at 07:18 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I wish I had known that before I did the major get rid of everything a few years ago. Then again maybe I'm glad I didn't know lol. I can be such a packrat if I'm not careful.

I love the idea.

#128806 June 25th, 2005 at 12:46 AM
Criminey that's a great idea. A friend of mine sells purses. I'll suggest she offer the damaged ones as flowerpots! LOL! It's a great idea. can't say I have any laying around though...never was a purse kinda gal wink

#128807 June 25th, 2005 at 06:33 AM
I did that a few years ago for mothers day. We planted some petunias in little whicker purses we found at the dollar store. They were adorable, and very affordable. The purses even had little whicker flowers woven on the front of them.

#128808 July 23rd, 2005 at 10:46 AM
T
T
There is a lady who sells at our Farmers Market, who paints hiking boots to use for planters.

#128809 July 24th, 2005 at 01:19 AM
R
R
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for the idea I love it and I am stealing it.

We have planted shoes, the usual tins, pots and pans, a cooler, a sink, a chair, bike baskets, a radio/turntable, etc. But never a purse!

I am getting ready to plant an old lamp that I am sticking in the ground upside down. The base is just big enough to hold some sempervivums.

#128810 July 24th, 2005 at 12:16 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Man Rue, I would cool LOVE luv to
see some pictures of that!!!
What fun those would be!!!

#128811 July 24th, 2005 at 08:02 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
We have planted shoes, the usual tins, pots and pans, a cooler, a sink, a chair, bike baskets, a radio/turntable, etc.
I am getting ready to plant an old lamp that I am sticking in the ground upside down.
Oh, man! You gotta give us pictures! thumbup

I don't have any used purses...I carry a leather napsack thing for a purse that I bought at the horse tack store about 7 years ago. It should last me another 10 years at least! laugh shocked

I do use my old Doc Marten's for planters... grinnnn

#128812 July 28th, 2005 at 02:57 AM
R
R
These are the only pictures I have. I just have to get a digital camera!

http://www.11southkitley.com/containergardening/containergardening.html

Oh the 2 chairs, one with a lunch box and the other with a pot are not the planted chairs. I actually took the seat off one and put it on the bottom of the seat support to make a 2 inch deep planting area and filled it with sempervivums.

One sad thing about the chairs they only last a few years.

#128813 July 28th, 2005 at 06:04 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
that is so cool love your pictures.

#128814 July 28th, 2005 at 08:47 AM
WOW! I love the sink the most! thumbup

#128815 July 28th, 2005 at 10:42 PM
R
R
Thanks!

I love the sink too. It is planted with the type of plants you would put in a trough so you really need to see it close up.

I'm starting a list of all the things I want pictures of, the bike, top close-up of the sink, more troughs,the PURSES when I get those planted!!, the lamp base, etc., etc. Oh and the little individual teapots!

#128816 July 30th, 2005 at 11:29 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Thats the kind of sink I have toooo!!!

Here's some more ideas for you Rue!!!

Take an old style dish drainer, line it with
that spagnum moss stuff...fill with dirt....
and then add a plate or two, a coffee/tea cup
hangin' off to the side, maybe a tall plastic soda cup....
and then fill with moss on top..

Once it fills in, it'll look like the old dish
drainer, with dishes still sitting in it, and
time has had it's way with the drainer..
Very cute once it's filled in..

How many more ideas can you stand???

I got tons!
Well, maybe not tons....
but some more... thumbup

#128817 July 30th, 2005 at 09:37 PM
R
R
Thank you very much! This is a really very cool idea. I have a sink by the front door that I want to turn into a fountain. It has a built-in drain board where a dish drainer could sit!!!!!! I am calling my niece right now to see if she has one.

I will take the whole ton!!

My home garden is planted in a more traditional and uncluttered look. So having the shop to plant and decorate has been a huge release for me. The more wild and crazy the idea the better.

I have an artist that has things in the shop. She is going to go around and take pictures that she will then paint.

AAHH!! I am finally at my right job.

#128818 July 30th, 2005 at 09:46 PM
R
R
Oh here's one I thought of yesterday.. I have started a list so I don't forget the ideas from year to year!

plant suitcases, we have a bunch of them. You could stack a few and plant just the top for height or plant and stack with the plants cascading down.

#128819 July 31st, 2005 at 12:07 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Okay Rue, I'd have to say, the wackiest one
I thought of, *and I was going to do this,
but I have a husband who really isn't into my
"Artist side" *don't worry, I'll get there some
day, right now I'm too busy with kids but I will
have this"

Is...........
An upright vaccuum, with the zip bag...
Throw in some dirt, you might want to zip it up to the top, and plant a trailing vine so it covers the zipper/bag part..
or use some safety pins and give yourself some openings and stuff stuff along the way.
I haven't played with it, ***I threatened to do it, when my friend that was living with us upstairs put her old vaccuum cleaner out to the garbage......

You might have to slip a PVC pipe down the back of the bag first with some holes along the way for good watering...dunno Duh

#128820 July 31st, 2005 at 09:33 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I did see also on one of the Gardening shows on
TV, they took an old stove from the kitchen..
Made of real heavy metal from your gramma's day..

Put in chicken wire into where the burners were,
and molded them down in a pot shape to accomindate some moss and some dirt into the burner areas..
Planted into there..

Then they opened the oven door, and thru in dirt and planted a trailing vine and something that could come out and get bushy looking..

The there was a drawer at the bottom for pots and pans....and they pulled that out and put in dirt...
*Although, she said you had to put a stake to the ground in the back and anchor it, as when you opened the doors and loaded it up with dirt....
it got front heavy and may cause it to tip over...

I think they accessorized it, by putting a towel on it with a magent, and there was a coffee pot on top...

It looked adorable!!!!

#128821 August 1st, 2005 at 04:36 AM
R
R
LOL!! I love that vacuum sweeper idea. I am laughing so hard I can hardly stand it.

Thank you!! I love the ideas.

Has there ever been a book written about planting in things other than the usual containers?

#128822 August 1st, 2005 at 10:45 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Well, one that is probably un~doable...
but, I'll tell you anyways....

My husband had a front clip to a car in the
front yard for quite some time.....
I used it alot for a couple of Halloweens,
*tells you how long that it sat there :rolleyes: frown *
I'd open the doors and close this fake hand into it and put skeletons on the hood like it flew out
of the front seat on to the hood, and hit a few pedestrians' with the front bumpers...

Everyone thought it was a hoot...

But I kept threatening my husband, I was going to open the hood, prop it up and dump a truck load of dirt into it...
and plant flowers if it didn't go sooooooooon!!!

*I realllllllllllly wanted to do it too,
I thought it would look really cute, luckily
we had someone, FINALLY come along and buy it..

#128823 August 1st, 2005 at 10:50 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Rue,
Njoynit has a Bubble gum machine
Take a peak at it...

#128824 August 1st, 2005 at 01:54 PM
OMG I Love it!!!! Adds a whole new dimension to yard sale shopping laugh

#128825 August 2nd, 2005 at 06:46 AM
T
T
I have an apartment size dryer that quit working so I am taking the drum out and turning it into a planter. Not sure what I am planting in it yet.

#128826 August 2nd, 2005 at 07:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I have one tooooo, it's so old
that I used to use it when I was a kid..

I haven't figured out,
quite what to do with it,
once it's potted up...
My husband gets a little funnnnnnny
when I start a new project... :rolleyes: :p

#128827 August 2nd, 2005 at 11:36 AM
What an awesome thread - I love these ideas. I'd love to see pics of all of them! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease? wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard