This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#128679 June 29th, 2005 at 09:01 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I just found this board and joined yesterday. I live in Ohio, suburb SE of Columbus. We've lived in our current home for 9 and a half years. I've never done much gardening. Too busy raising kids. We're empty nesters now so that's changing and we've got A LOT to learn! So here I am!

We have an acre of land. Some of course taken up by the house, but we have a large back yard surrounded by pine trees on 3 sides, sort of like a fence. We have 2 large Sycamore trees out there and one King Crimson Maple. Two very small flowerbeds with Barberry bushes in each. Last year I planted two roses of Sharon that are doing very well and two weeks ago I planted a Butterfly bush that is also doing great.

Our front yard is also pretty good sized, we have a U shaped concrete drive, there is the middle grassy area between the two driveways and then grass on both sides. We haven't done a lot of landscaping yet. In the back portion of the grassy area we put up a split rail fence several years ago that sort of echoes the shape of the back portion of the U. growing all along the fence is a Honeysuckle vine that I got from taking cuttings from the grave site of my Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather! I think that's pretty neat. The vine had completely obliterated his headstone and when I uncovered it, the 130 year old stone was in perfect condition having been protected for many years by the Honeysuckle. The Honeysuckle grows like crazy and if I'm not careful it can get way out of control. But the Hummingbirds love it. There are also some Columbine growing in the flowerbed beneath the Honeysuckle that I lifted from my mother in laws yard and a couple of rose bushes that we frankly let get out of shape. We also planted two Flowering Crab Apple trees in this middle area.

There were 3 huge Bradford Pear trees on each side of the driveway until this past Decembers ice storms destroyed them. They're a beautiful tree, but unfortunately not very sturdy. So we are taking them down one by one (hard work!) and replacing them with Maples. We just set the first Maple, a Norway Maple, this past weekend and plan to put in 3 more, 2 on each side as the rest of the Pear trees come down.

Since the area closest to our front porch is concrete we can't do much landscaping up close to the house. Though we have 4 whiskey barrels at intervals along the front that at present have Red Wave Petunias growing in them. They look beautiful. We also have 5 hanging baskets of Million Bells on the front porch, along with a planter full of Polka Dot plants and a couple of wicker baskets of various Coleus and Sweet potato vine that are doing very well. Each end of the house we have huge Fire Bushes. Along one side of the house we have about 10 Red Canna plants that are just about to open and the other side of the house is bare.

The front flower bed has just been widened about 4 feet and we're in the process of preparing the soil for perennials. Haven't quite decided yet which ones that's why I'm checking out sites for information. We just installed a water fountain in the middle of that bed last night. I love the sound of trickling water!

We are also planning to put in two water ponds. One in the middle of the driveway area and another either in the back yard (may not be able to do this because of the leech bed for the septic system) or along the side of the house where nothing is growing. We also plan a large perennial bed for out back.

We're very excited about all our plans and are enjoying the prep work. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions and from what I can tell...I'm in the right place for some good advice.

Look forward to learning from you all,

Lemon Poppy

#128680 June 29th, 2005 at 09:11 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Lemon Poppy,
What a cute name, I love it!!!

And you're in the running for the "Weezie's"
around here... you've got a great case of them..
**My posts get a little long* :rolleyes: wink laugh but we love it!!!!

You've got alot there, and love the honeysuckle
from your GGGGGGfather's plot...Awesome idea...
and it makes them feel closer to you, doesn't it?
Love the idea...

Take your time, do some hunting around, ther'es lot's to be done here, many catagories....
And lot's to do later on in the season's, every season here actually, even have lot's to do and say to keep you busy in those long cold wintery snow blowin' sca :p months too!!!!

Ask any question, you'll usually find someone
around anytime to answer your questions, and don't hestitate to re~ask if something isn't answered right away, or you're not clear on the info... we're always happy to lend a helping hand.
It's a great little Gardening Cyber Community here, and you'll fit in nicely!!!!
Welcome Aboard!!!!

#128681 June 29th, 2005 at 09:19 PM
wavey

hey Lemon puppy,welcome to this site where i think you ll find a lot of good people,good advice,they re all very good gardners and then there s me.

congradulation for being an empty nesting now,doesn t it feel good,i suppose never had kids of my own.

the way you describe your landscape and the house surrondings,it simply looks like a little piece of heaven,must be wonderful,and i hope you ll have fun for your future projects.

bye!!

#128682 June 30th, 2005 at 01:08 AM
Hi Lemon Poppy!

Sounds like you got enough happening to keep you busy--even with the empty nest!! laugh

Welcome!! wavey

flw

#128683 June 30th, 2005 at 08:06 PM
F
F
Hi Lemon Poppy!

I'm new to the forum also. Sounds like you've been very busy too. We just built our new home 1 1/2 yrs ago now. We have 1.2 acres out in the country and have done alot to our yard in a short time.

Our house is a tan cape cod with burgundy shutters and this is what we planted: 2 Crimson King Maples in the front yard, 1 Sunset Red Maple in the back and a Maple seeding that I got from my mom's yard which is now 5 ft tall, 15 Centinnel Spirits (deep bungundy) Crepe Myrtles lining the driveway, 6 red tips, 15 more Crepe Myrtles around the yard (Red Rockets, Rasberry Sundeas, Peppermint Laces, 1 white and 1 purple), 1 Magnolia (Little Gem), 1 Silk Ivory lilac, 30 rose Bushes (assorted colors), 4 colors of lilacs, 7 colors of butterfly bushes, 8 Hadrangeas, 4 Hibicius (white, red), hostas, 2 mock oranges, lots and lots of perennials. Love all the daylilies we've planted. As I'm typing this....are we crazy or what?

We just put in sprinkler system in front and back yard and put in inground pool a couple of months ago. Definitely using the pool after working in this yard.

#128684 June 30th, 2005 at 08:08 PM
Hi Lemon Poppy!
Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you wavey
[Linked Image]

#128685 July 2nd, 2005 at 08:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

You definately have your hands full! It sounds wonderful thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn

#128686 July 3rd, 2005 at 01:01 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi & Welcome,

I'd love to see some pictures. Hope you all like volunteer maples lol. I must have pulled up 50 in my small weed patch this year. I have a maple and to poplars.

#128687 July 3rd, 2005 at 01:51 AM
R
R
Hi Lemon Poppy,

I am in Indianapolis.

My parents are from Reynoldsburg, I am some how related to the Pickerings of Pickering Ohio, Grandpa was born in Canal Winchester, I was born in Lancaster and Dad was a coach at Wilmington College.

So I guess I am truly a Buckeye!!

Link Copied to Clipboard