This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12828 February 12th, 2003 at 03:45 PM
E
emilyn Offline OP
OP Offline
E
i've tried to grow several indoor ivy plants and have killed them all. i typically do well with all other plants. this is emotionally damaging to me, please help!! laugh

#12829 February 13th, 2003 at 09:16 AM
W
W
Every ivy I ever had died on me until now.
For a year now 3 different ivies have been thriving in my cool north kitchen window over my sink.I have started SEVERAL new plants from these 3,which are in glazed clay pots but will need tranplanting in the spring as they are becoming pot-bound.It must be the combination of the cool temp, humidity from the sink and indirect light(there is also a flourescent tucked under the cupboard above, which probably helps a lot).Keep a small H20 mister close by and spray whenever you walk by.Water only when dry and keep an eye out for spider mites.Good Luck!! smile

#12830 February 14th, 2003 at 11:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Until Hedera ivies are well established in their pots and their new homes, they can be quite difficult. Once established they are very hardy.

First, do not repot your ivy. They do best when potbound and are very prone to overwatering when placed in too large a pot. Second, provide lots of bright indirect light and cool temperatures. Right in a north or east window is the best location. Third, allow the top half-inch of soil to dry before watering thoroughly. Fourth, fertilize sparingly; half strength monthly when it is healthy and putting out new growth.

Watch carefully for spider mites; look for dust-like particles on the undersides of leaves. Treat the entire plant with a thorough soap spray at the first sign of these critters.

Ivies benefit from regular pruning. Stems that are allowed to grow more than 12 to 18 inches long will lose older leaves and become stringy looking. Prune these long stems back to within a few inches of the soil. This will stimulate new growth at the base of the plant and keep it full and lush.

Link Copied to Clipboard