This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#128261 July 1st, 2005 at 12:09 AM
Torby Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, yes, actually. nutz Though "brat" might be more descriptive.

I've always wanted a train outside, since I was like 12. A fond memory from a diffecult childhood was summer evenings with the whole family in Dad's flower gardens, so I put 2 and 2 together to get whatever that adds up to. Wife always forbade such wastes of money, time and effort.

Then I was ejected from the house and family and appointed to a shrink, courtesy of the State of Illinois. One of the first things he said to me was, "Tom, you need a hobby."

There's not much space for gardens or trains in my apartment, so I've moved my often struggling software business to a big empty place, opened a garden train shop and I'm building a garden inside. See, I warned you I'm some kind of a nut. The trains are running, I have a stream, and it's getting time for planting.

[Linked Image]

So I'm open to all sorts of suggestions! Like maybe "Forget it?" Being inside, I imagine I need "Deep shade" type plants, but the hardiness zone (4) might not be that critical.

You can see the whole construction story at http://www.gardentrack.com/facillity/facillity.html

I'm looking forward to getting about 3 1/2 yards of topsoil and getting my hands dirty, and I'm open to suggestions for plants. I'm thinking of Sandwort, New Zealand Brass Buttons or Pennywort for main ground covers. Smallish plants would probably work best.

Oh, yea, can I interest you in a train for your garden? smile

#128262 July 1st, 2005 at 12:26 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Welcome aboard,

hehehe, I couldn't resist that one. It was just to easy. Did you say something about nuts. Just look at my button and you'll know I love nuts. Lots of people garden inside. What you need to look into are the full spectrum lights and how to suspend them from your structure so they do the most good. Then you can make any kind of micro environment you need for your plants. You are so lucky. Enjoy our new endeavor and your time on the forum. If your looking for miniature plants and groundcover suggestions you might want to post that down in plants and flowers or even house plants. You'll get lots of suggestions I'm sure.

#128263 July 1st, 2005 at 09:12 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Very Cool indeed!!!
I too have to say it, (*Cause I already always say it*)
Welcome to The Garden Helper, Glad you found us,
and yes, Welcome Aboard!!!!
(*You're right Tammy, that wassssss tooooooo easy)

There's lot's of people here that would love
to follow your adventure...We're kinda nutz Duh Dunno!!!!

But there's lot's of Illionisians' *is that a word or person?* here and there's lot's of stuff
to do here, thru every season, especially those long ters months to keep you busy....Stop by often and jump right on in....

#128264 July 2nd, 2005 at 07:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

Glad you found us thumbup Your trains are GREAT!

G-Mom grinnnn

#128265 July 2nd, 2005 at 09:24 PM
Torby Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm quite enjoying the forum. Haven't posted, but I can't keep my mout shut gab

Flash

I might not finish this this. A company is talking to me about closing my struggling software business and train shop and moving to San Antonio. Very interesting smile

BTW: this forum has the greatest graemlins!

#128266 July 2nd, 2005 at 09:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
but I can't keep my mouth shut
laugh "Flapping your Jaws" is a contagious disease around here laugh And there is NO CURE thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn

#128267 July 2nd, 2005 at 10:31 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
We like people who live in San Antonio too so no problem. I love your shop. It's like your doing your own version of it's a small small world. I'm well on my way to creating an indoor jungle and I'm loving every minute of it. May have to see if you get any miniature (really miniature) safari trains in your inventory. Although lord knows how I would afford it.

#128268 July 2nd, 2005 at 10:40 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
"Flapping your Jaws" is a contagious disease around here And there is NO CURE
Absolutely... we love jaw flappin's around here..
We encourage it actually!!

And even if you go to San Antonio, we'll still
be here to hear about your adventures...
Hope you'll still be peaking around..
And answering a bunch of questions for us...
What a grand project you have there....

#128269 July 2nd, 2005 at 10:55 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Saw the title thought someone was talking about me laugh so I guess I'm not alone in this nutz Seems like all of us are thinking we are all nutz oh well. Torby welocme to the fourm
I like what you have done with the trains and gardens. Woerse things then coming to Texas make sure you like heat cAuse we get plenty of it. In Alamo city you have a longer growing season then in Illinoise . On your way down might as well stop in DFW area and visit a while. Take your trains with you as you will find lots of people in texas are nutz about trains. We have a small Rail museum in Dallas on the State Fairgrounds it is nice and when I was there was free. Get to walk around in ther cab of
steam engines and through the old coaches. We had a friend (pAssed away last year) you was a certifiable train nut wore the engineeer caps and all . He was fron Indiana took him to the museum like to have not got him away. Oncet again welcome most of us Are nutz laugh

#128270 July 3rd, 2005 at 01:28 AM
N
N
Hey, who isn't little nutty. There is nothing like a good hobby, find something you love and pour yourself into it, where it's trains, plants, art..whatever. As long as you love it. Welcome to the forum.

#128271 July 3rd, 2005 at 08:32 AM
Torby Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, yea. I'll take the trains!

As far as mineatures, like the HO and N sizes, I haven't been able to establish dealership relations with anybody to sell those. I'm working on another company besides Aristo-Craft now, and, if I don't close up and move to Tx, another company this fall.

So, without knowing what I'll be doing in the next few weeks, I haven't done much with the train layout except finish the stream and run trains. Oh, yea, fixed that stupid wire where it goes to the...

Nutty? Just click up my profile and look under Gender p

#128272 July 3rd, 2005 at 06:58 PM
N
N
My father and my uncle have always been into model building, trains, cars, planes, my entire life I have heard about HO scale and whatnot,it's all they talk about. I have looked at some of these scaled down train display's they are fun to look at.

#128273 July 10th, 2005 at 07:58 AM
Torby Offline OP
OP Offline
Still here. Doesn't look like I'll be going to Texas, so I'm still trying to figure out how to make a living idea

#128274 July 16th, 2005 at 02:49 AM
Torby Offline OP
OP Offline
Got some dirt. Big job ahead:
[Linked Image]

Oops: kit

Link Copied to Clipboard