This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127938 April 20th, 2004 at 04:33 AM
OP Offline
Hi I love growing carrots of all varieties but always have many deformed ones and so I ordered the Nematodes that I saw in Gardens alive. I just don't know if I can plant my carrots first and then apply them when they come or do I have to wait and apply them when I plant my carrots? They are sending them at the time appropriate for my zone, I really want to get my carrots in soon. Any help would be great, this is something new to me.

#127939 April 20th, 2004 at 03:27 PM
O
O
My Gardens Alive catalog didn't say how to apply the SF nematodes, but their Grub-Away and Mole Cricket nematodes are applied by spraying. I found some info online for another company that had SF nematodes and those were also applied by spraying, so I think you can plant first and spray later. You could call the Gardens Alive customer service number to check for sure.

#127940 April 27th, 2004 at 11:16 PM
OK..

1. What are you applying the beneficial nematodes for? What pest. If you are targeting root knot nematodes its not a 100%. Control.

2. What state are you in? Steinernema feltiae may not be your best option. Depends on target pest, soil temp and other factors.

3. What kind of equipment is needed to apply beneficial nematodes?

These nematodes can be applied using the usual application equipment: recirculation pump sprayer, pump-up garden sprayer, watering can, hose-end sprayer, or injection into irrigation systems.

4. How are the nematodes handled in preparation for application?

It is very important that the nematodes are living organisms so they must be kept out of direct sunlight and kept cool until they are applied. They should be stored in the refrigerator or a cold box at 50° to 65° F. from time of receipt until they are being prepared for application.
Nematodes will settle to the bottom of applicator tanks so it is very important to agitate or shake the tank every 15 to 20 minutes to assure that the nematodes are uniformly suspended in the water. Commercial sprayers having by-pass pressure regulation provide very good agitation of the water and do not require shaking or further agitation.
Nematodes are very hardy and can safely tolerate 100 to 150 pounds of pressure, but they can be damaged if pumped through filter screens that have mesh sizes smaller than 30. For best results, remove all filter screens.
Nematodes can drown, so it is important to make sure that the entire volume of spray in a tank is applied without delay.
Nematodes can safely tolerate a pH range from 5 to 9, but be careful of use of highly sulfonated water that depletes the oxygen upon its first exposure to the air. They can be tank-mixed with many insecticides, fungicides, fertilizers, and soil amendments.

5. What kind of site preparation is needed prior to application?

Again, beneficial nematodes are living organisms that live naturally in the soil. UV radiation and desiccation are the two greatest enemies to the nematode. Consequently, it is important that the soil or site to which the nematodes will be applied is damp and not dry. If the site to be treated it dry, one may apply a greater amount of water with the application to compensate. After the application is completed, we recommend that the treated area be irrigated with a moderate volume of water to assure that the nematodes have sufficient water to move them down onto and into the soil. It is best if applications can be made either early or late in the day to take advantage of lower sunlight strength and cooler temperatures.

If you have any other questions let me know…

#127941 April 28th, 2004 at 05:11 AM
OP Offline
Buglady, thankyou so much for all your good advice and knowledge. I am in southern Minnesota and now I'm wondering if it was such a good idea to order them Duh . Can you put on too many?? Can they affect my soil in any negative way?? And besides my carrot bed, is there another vegetable that might get benefit from them?? I do not grow potatoes or corn, but most eveything else. I am intending on applying them from a water can with the sprinkle end removed and will apply the right between my rows of carrots, would this be correct?
Sooooo glad I found you!!!!!!! wink

#127942 April 28th, 2004 at 05:50 AM
Glad to help. Well, in Minnesota I would have probably have used heterorhabditis marelatus. it is for cooler soils.. And I think you qualify. You did not say what your target pest was. But when applying them you need to apply where the target pest is.

You can apply too many but it has to be a lot more.. I am sure you will not over apply. I use them on all my vegetable start to control fungus gnats.. they vector diseases.

#127943 April 28th, 2004 at 03:09 PM
B
B
Hey, buglady!

I was wondering where you'd got to!!! Just thought I'd pop up and say hi.

Any ideas for making ticks less welcome in our yard?

Barbara

#127944 April 28th, 2004 at 03:20 PM
Sorry.. I come and go like waves because of my travel schedule. I was in FL 2 times and of to Chicago for the "All things Organic" tradeshow. This looks to be amazing. Think its the largest organic show in US.

Ticks - chickens? or when treating lawns be sure to spray the bushes. Ticks are not usually in the middle of the yard, they will dry out there. They like to hide in dark areas until the climb to catch their next host.

#127945 April 29th, 2004 at 08:19 PM
B
B
Thanks, buglady...this yard has a lot of shrubby, dark nooks and crannies for them to lurk in !!!!

#127946 July 25th, 2004 at 04:13 PM
P
P
BugLady,

Excellent information. It has given cause to think. I copied part of it and add that info to my on-going notes.

Much Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard