This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127708 June 24th, 2005 at 12:05 PM
mich168 Offline OP
OP Offline
Played hooky from work today and went and saw the the King Tut exhibt that at LA County Museum of art.

Very cool. It stated with a short video then the lights came on and you saw a wooden torso of the King, right there! The intial exhibts were from Tut's family, his parents, grandparents, ect.
These included: statue of Ththmosis IV and Tiaa; gold funeral mask of Lady Tjyua and one of her gilded coffins. Shabits for everyone (little servent statues). The statue head of Amenhotep IV (Akhenaten) and statues of Nefertiti. There was a chair for a princess and carved calcite jars.
Tut funnery items included: two glided statues of him, one with the Upper Egypt crown and one with the Lower Egypt crown. There was a crock and flail, a golden fan base, gilded statures, carved and inlayed necklaces, his diadem, a gold daggerand a miniature coffin of beaten gold that held some of his orgens. The Famous gold mask WAS NOT there, (bummer). There were wooden models of chairs, boats, and jars. One of my favorites, a calcite cosemetic jar that has a recumbent lion on the lid (tongue hanging out) was there (an old favoite from the last time I saw this, back in 1979!) grinnnn

#127709 June 24th, 2005 at 06:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am so jealous...I've always had a fascination for "The Boy King" thumbup

As a matter of fact when I was waiting for the kids at the dentist the other day, there was a National Geographic about the exhibit traveling through America. It's been 3 decades since this has happened.

Page that lists all of the National Geographic articles

Did you know that they did a cat scan on him? They were hoping to find a cause of death,but there wasn't anything obvious. They did learn some fascinating things about him though,he had an overbite for one. They were even able to do a complete reconstruction of his face,very striking! You can read all about it in the link I posted.

G-Mom grinnnn

#127710 June 25th, 2005 at 03:47 AM
Oh! WOW!!! I am jealous jealous too! wink I was able to see the collection in 83-84. I fell in love with his sarcophagus. I love egyptian anything now. I have been working on my dining room and trying to turn it into an egyptian tomb. grinnnn I want so badly to see it again. It won't be anywheres near where I can see it again. eek flw

#127711 June 25th, 2005 at 08:21 AM
That exhibit is visiting a few places in the country this summer. There was a thing on 20/20 (I think) about the cost of it. I think the cost varries place to place tho. G-mom, you should run a Google for it and see if it is coming close to you. I think its going to 5 or 6 places. I know for sure its coming to Philly...but I can't remember the other places. Florida and Texas maybe...not sure tho.

#127712 June 26th, 2005 at 06:46 AM
I saw part of this exhibit in Cairo back in '85. It is a unreal as to how much stuff was in his tomb.

I also got a chance to visit the Pyramids when I was there.

#127713 June 26th, 2005 at 11:16 AM
mich168 Offline OP
OP Offline
nice wall painting, Donna. Did you do it yourself?

It was fantasic exhibt, more multi-media than the 1st time I saw it.

Amigatc - Please tell us about your Egypt trip!

#127714 June 26th, 2005 at 01:58 PM
nice wall painting, Donna. Did you do it yourself?
Thanks. I sure did. I have several others I haven't completed yet. shocked

Amigatc - Please tell us about your Egypt trip!
I second that. Please do tell us more. grinnnn

Donna flw

#127715 June 26th, 2005 at 07:16 PM
I went to Egypt twice while in the Army Reserves. Once in about '85 and again in '92.

Saw more desert than anything thing else. Really only had one day each time for sightseeing.

The first time I got to tour the Cario Museum, and do a drive by on the Pyramids.

The second time I got to go inside one of the big Pyramids, the one with the metal pointer on top.

#127716 June 27th, 2005 at 10:56 AM
mich168 Offline OP
OP Offline
Which pyramid has the pointer on top?

What was it like, inside a pyramid?

I just have loads of questions! wink

Link Copied to Clipboard