This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127697 May 20th, 2005 at 04:36 PM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
is it possible...well actually let me phrase it like this...what would be too much coffee grinds in compost? can you over do it and make the compost no good? confused Duh

#127698 May 20th, 2005 at 04:53 PM
Hey Phoenix. Just how many coffee grounds do you have? You can use a fair amount in your compost, but I'd lay off if you've got too much green stuff. You can use the grounds directly in the soil, or as a topdressing around plants...they're very rich in nitrogen...think of them as a slow release fertilizer. I hear that Starbucks has a program called Grounds for Gardeners where you can get 5 pound bags of grounds. I've been meaning to look into that.

#127699 May 20th, 2005 at 05:01 PM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
thumbup thanks peppereater
i drink a lot of coffee usually. so i have quite a bit of grounds. ya know my mum use to have me empty the filter around her plants i don't know why i didn't remember 'till now (brain is not working too good today) thanks again wink

#127700 May 20th, 2005 at 07:31 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi Pheonix,
I have read somewhere's, about what you put in your compost...that it usually ends up being
ALKALINE...meaning, even though you put a ton of stuff in, ie; leaves...the process of breaking down the "stuff" turns alkaline...

Here's a excerpt from University of Minnesota Extension Service;
"The pH of most yard waste composts is usually between 7.0 and 8.0. This slightly alkaline pH of compost should not pose any problems when diluted by mixing into the soil and, in fact, is beneficial to plants growing on acid soils. Because of the alkaline pH, yard waste composts may not be suited for use on acid-loving plants such as azaleas and blueberries."

I just recently read this, in a few places..
I don't really remember if I recall reading about coffee grounds...*it was mainly chopped up leaves I remember reading*

But I would whole heartedly aggree with Peppereater, about using as a mulch...
Great on those Azalea's and Blueberry bushes..
Anything acid loving...

I think if there were ever tooo much in the compost is when there's not enough "brown" in
the compost pile for the coffee grounds to work on.

Starbucks has a program called Grounds for Gardeners where you can get 5 pound bags of grounds.
I realllllllllllly wish I had a Starbucks around me, I'd be in 7th heaven....

Weezie

#127701 May 20th, 2005 at 07:39 PM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
wavey weezie,
thanks for the info. in my "little compost bin" i put the coffee grinds,kitchen scraps(nothing that has seeds in it tho),dryer lint,and some dry leaves from raking the yard. i think i may even have a few paper towels in there Duh .
if you like starbucks you should check out starbucks.com thumbup i'm really surprised you don't have one in your area. what part of N.Y. do you live in?
p.s. i also have dead leaves from my outside and house plants in the comppost bin. is all that stuff o.k?

#127702 May 20th, 2005 at 08:02 PM
All that stuff's fine Phoenix. Here's some interesting info on coffee grounds in gardening and composting.

Sorry Longy....we are not allowed to link to "THAT" website !!!!
Catlover kit

#127703 May 20th, 2005 at 08:13 PM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
that was some good info thanx longy i'm going to go home today and make use of the grouds i have wink thanks again thumbup
Another option is to just grab the bags from their dumpster.* The grounds are generally segregated from other trash in dedicated containers under the brewing machines and will be, by far, the heaviest bags you will come across.
*"Of course this option is only available to serious hardcore wackos that have been board certified by our panel of experts".
laugh laugh laugh laugh

#127704 May 21st, 2005 at 06:58 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
wavey phoenix I put my coffe grounds as well as my used tea bags in my compost also the paper (not colored)from my schredder they all break down well. I also use put coffee grounds around all my Hibiscus and roses. And in my Tomato and pepper garden everything is doing great with no problems.
Jimmy

#127705 May 21st, 2005 at 06:59 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
waveydidnt go through on first click then double posted on second click. Darned if I do and darned if I don't

Link Copied to Clipboard