This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127585 June 21st, 2005 at 09:43 AM
Karrie Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok someone told me columbine seeds were a pain in the rump to start. Does anyone know how it is best to get them started and in the ground! I collected seeds from my flower and also form my blue butterfly delphinium. My neighbor wants to start them in her yard. I would like to make sure they get started correct so that they grow! I would hate to just give the seeds away to someone who will just put them in the ground and hope for the best! I want to see results from my plants! Any help would be much appreciated!

#127586 June 21st, 2005 at 10:33 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
oh i didn't know they were hard to grow o.O i guess that's why only 4 of the bizillion seeds i sewed in my garden showed up ^.^

If this helps, what i did was i had them in the refrigerator for like 2 months lol. It said on the package that chilling them before putting them in the ground would help germination. Annnnd ya, the way i put em in the soil was i put em on top, and i gently petted them until they weren't visible anymore. Then a month later i saw a few sprouts and they've been that way since lol. 3 sprouts ^.^

good luck!
~Phoebe

#127587 June 21st, 2005 at 07:35 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Direct sow them in the grown in the fall. That way they get the cold they need during the winter and come up in the spring. Otherwise the information I read was that you plant them in flats and then have to refrigerate them for a month or more.

#127588 June 21st, 2005 at 09:53 PM
Karrie Offline OP
OP Offline
THanks TK should I store my seeds in the fridge untill fall?

#127589 June 21st, 2005 at 09:57 PM
would freezing them be an idea?

Linda

#127590 June 21st, 2005 at 10:31 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I would be afraid to freeze them but I don't have any basis for that feeling.

Refrigeration is suppose to be a good storage method from what I've read. It is what I am doing with my seeds. I have a little one pound coffee can. The decorator maxwell house ones and I have the seeds in that. All right and tight I hope. But again this is my first year harvesting seeds so you should probably ask Duckie she has much more experience than I do.

#127591 June 22nd, 2005 at 02:19 AM
I too am having trouble with columbines. I planted seeds last spring, and they produced leaves. They stayed all winter, even stayed greed with the snow on them and eventually died back. Came up again this spring, and still have not put up any bloom stems. WHY? I even gave them some miracle grow a couple of times. All I get is leaves, more leaves. THey are on the morning sun side of a brick wall. I thought maybe too hot there.? My niece however, has them on the South side of her brick house, and they were huge and blooming already on mothers' day. Go figure.

#127592 June 22nd, 2005 at 02:20 AM
Ooops they stayed GREEN not greed.

#127593 June 22nd, 2005 at 02:51 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I don't know why they didn't bloom the second year. But I think it's to late for them here but I could be wrong about that too. Did you try some of the bloom booster from miracle grow that Weezie recommended in one of her posts? Mine are in a very clay like soil and when they bloomed there were a lot of them but they only stayed a couple of weeks and that was it. The plants are still green but I'm not seeing any new shoots or anything. It's in the 80's and 90's here.

#127594 June 22nd, 2005 at 04:53 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
~~~Karrie,
Best way for you to grow your columbines
is to let them fall where they are......
Mother Nature does an awesome job of planting
them for us!!!
Second best way I've found is to pot up some
pot's/container's *I used 2" & 4" one's**
Filled it with regular dirt..
Columbines are a no frill kind a plant...
(well, I should say the several varieties I have,
they've been around since my Grannies time, they were her's originally)
But I just took enough pots to fill a flat,
*one I'd get from a nursery when buying a flat of flowers* put them in side by side..
Took the dried up seed pods from my plants,
opened them up in my hand and sprinkled a few into each pot, nothing scientific, just sprinkled them... I then left them in the back, by a big ole lilac bush, under a big maple, and had some chopped up leaves by the base of them, like a make shift insultation..
Piled the snow on top of them...waited for winter to end and they sprouted all on their own..
NOT MUCH WORK ON MY END AT ALL!!!!!

THanks TK should I store my seeds in the fridge untill fall?
Did they come from your plant or a package..
If it's from your own plant, just leave them,
if the pod is dried, it's the right time now
that Mother Nature would be sprinkling them.

~~~Linda,
would freezing them be an idea?
Well, when they are left out over winter,
they pretty much do that..
When using the refrig or freezer method,
what you are doing is reproducing a cold period
that some plants REQUIRE before producing or growing..

~~~jmacd
I even gave them some miracle grow a couple of times. All I get is leaves, more leaves.
Usually when I read the word Miracle Grow, that tends to lead me to believe the numbers on your fertilizer is a HIGH FIRST NUMBER....
Which means NITROGEN, which means GREEN GROWTH/LEAVES... soooooo, what you want to do is:
lay off the Miracle Grow... (and an FYI some plants, just do better when left alone...too much fussin' on them, makes them weak, cause left out
in the wild where they would have nothing given to them, they survive and thrive...does that make sense???)
THey are on the morning sun side of a brick wall. I thought maybe too hot there.?
Morning sun shouldn't be a problem..
I have some with only morning sun and they are blooming, I have some with only late after noon sun and they are blooming, I have some in several different parts of the garden that are in almost complete shade and they are blooming, and some in the blazing hot sun........
But I never put anything on them, not even good dirt..and the one's that Mother Nature sow's,
are waaaaaaayyyyyy more hardy than the one's I plant..

~~~Tammy,
Did you try some of the bloom booster from miracle grow that Weezie recommended in one of her posts?
Weezie always recommends Schultz Plus 10~60~10
10 for just a tiny bit of nitrogen, 60 for blooms and rooting and the last 10 for overall health of the plant....
Mine are in a very clay like soil and when they bloomed there were a lot of them but they only stayed a couple of weeks and that was it. The plants are still green but I'm not seeing any new shoots or anything. It's in the 80's and 90's here.
The soil was fine for them, the temp's are really what controls alot of blooms.. and amount of water.
For here, it was wet, and gave them nice green color, then all of a sudden it got unbelievably HOT here, and made them bloom, and when it stayed HOT it forces them to bloom and go to seed early.
And you won't see any new shoots, they're a one time bloomer, the only time you'd see more flowers start, is if you picked off all the flowers and didn't let them produce any seeds, then they'll keep on making flowers until they set seeds.

#127595 June 22nd, 2005 at 05:59 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEZIE IS WONDERFUL,

Thank you Weezie.

#127596 June 22nd, 2005 at 07:34 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
smile kissies flw

#127597 June 22nd, 2005 at 09:57 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
They sure are a neat flower. And they bloomed before anything else I had so they were definitely near and dear to my heart this year. Next year if I get more plants I would like to dead head most of them so that they will bloom longer. Is that right?

#127598 June 25th, 2005 at 02:33 AM
Wow. Thanks everyone for the tips on growing columbines kit
I think idea I'll try putting some seeds in an out of the way place next fall and let nature take over.
jmacd

Link Copied to Clipboard