This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#126755 May 14th, 2005 at 07:07 PM
OP Offline
Hello Everyone! I am new here and just signed up today, I have NEVER gardened before, so I thought I would try it out this year. I am growing tomato plants. I don't really have a lawn so I thought I would keep each plant I have grown in its own LARGE planter on my deck, that is my plan.
Anyway, the problem I am having is that I transplanted these plants to there own pot about 2 weeks ago. One of the plants went from about 6 inches to nearly a foot!! But one of the bottom leaves have turned yellowish and dropped, what causes this???? Then the other 3 plants I have potted aren't yellow, but on the underside of there most mature leaves, is purple! and they they have barely grown an inch! like I said I am new at this and I have no idea if all these sypmtoms I have mentioned are normal!! Duh but somehow I doubt it. Can someone tell me what seems to be wrong, and is it possible to have healthy plants in pots?

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!

Ninniwinky

PS. I hope I can find my way back to this page, i am new at this forum thing....

#126756 May 14th, 2005 at 07:26 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
One leaf turned yellowish and dropped. Possible overwatering. But you know you can pile the potting soil up the stem and it will develop stronger roots. I was told to take off the bottom stems and do that so they would develop a better root system. Have you read the "Garden BooBoo string down in gardeners chat? That's were it mentions everything I've been doing wrong with my tomatoes so far. Mine have also grown alot but that was due to my over fertilizing big time this week. What kind of tomatoes did you buy. I have Roma tomatoes.

#126757 May 14th, 2005 at 07:41 PM
OP Offline
actually I have no idea what kind they are, I think the package said something about big boy, but it accidentally went out in the trash!! I hope these grow, I would just really like to know if the purpling under the leaves and the, So far, occasional leaf drop is normal.

#126758 May 14th, 2005 at 07:44 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by tkhooper:
But you know you can pile the potting soil up the stem and it will develop stronger roots. .
yes my mother told me to pile the soil up the stem for a stronger root system, I thought it didnt matter but from what you say, I'm glad we did it.

Thanks for any and all pointers!!!

#126759 May 15th, 2005 at 03:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry I can't help you,just wanted to say hi!

G-Mom grinnnn

#126760 May 15th, 2005 at 04:31 PM
OP Offline
thank you G-mom!! I love this place already!!!!!!!!!

ninni luv

#126761 May 16th, 2005 at 02:20 AM
OP Offline
well I went and bought plant food today, wish me luck!! wavey

ninni

#126762 May 17th, 2005 at 08:23 AM
Welcome aboard! wavey

This is a really great place to get all of your gardening questions answered.

The people are super great too.

#126763 May 17th, 2005 at 12:01 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
wavey Hey ninniwinky
Welcome to the forum. I planted a Better bush,Big Boy, Huskey and a Southern Star they have all done well and putting on so many maters I have had to brace around each. I have never heard of piling compost up on the stem but then I havent heard of a lot of things. I planted mione with root stmulator and Liquid Molasses and Fish Emulsion like I said they are doing great as are my peppers Good luck smile
Jimmy

Link Copied to Clipboard