This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#126476 July 19th, 2005 at 04:08 PM
OP Offline
This was new for me so I thought I'd share, though many of you probably already know about it. There's an online organization called freecycle - the website is freecycle

You can join a local group, and people offer stuff they don't want and post things they're looking for through email. When someone reads about something they want, they respond to the person making the offer and go pick it up...either at the offer-ers house, or a public place or something. Of course everything changes hands for free. It's a great way of keeping stuff out of landfills - yaknow, one man's trash theory in practice. It's great. Sometimes I'm surprised at what people trade - sometimes it's pretty funny stuff! laugh

Anyway, give it a try - you'll love it too
(do I sound like a toothpaste commercial? laugh )

#126477 July 19th, 2005 at 06:43 PM
N
N
We must have read the same magazine MaryReboakly
I saw it is family circle or Woman's day.
- I went and signed up in my town to see what it was. I had no idea this going on in my town. While most people are looking for old tables and dining chairs,and couple of people kind of creep me out,people looking to get rid of old used lingerie (eww)and some guy who is on all the time asking if anyone has any food they they are not going to eat. But It would be great for someone on a budget who needs large item and cannot affort it, I keep thinking I want to get off the list, but as you said it is funny sometimes, and maybe something will show on the list that I really do want.

#126478 July 20th, 2005 at 06:02 AM
OP Offline
Eww old lingerie? yuck! Most people here are looking for and getting rid of appliances and furniture, sometimes clothes - every once in a while weird stuff comes up - but I can't say I've ever seen used lingerie come up! LOL!

May be the guy asking for food is a composting nut like me laugh Or sadly, may be he's just hungry frown

I don't know how I found freecycle, actually - I don't read those magazines...probably just came across it looking for local stuff or something. Either way, I haven't offered or gotten anything as of yet...but one of these days I will have something to offer or will be looking for something someone has. wink

#126479 July 20th, 2005 at 07:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL, my area only has 6 members including me...and nobody has asked for anything.....

#126480 July 20th, 2005 at 07:49 AM
There aren't a lot of people in my area either but I have already gotten rid of a bunch of baby stuff and some books and received most of the flowers in my garden this year.

#126481 July 20th, 2005 at 07:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think it's a great idea...I'm going to keep checking on it here and there.....hope more people join up!

#126482 July 20th, 2005 at 08:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love our local Freecycle. Have recieved and gotten rid of lots of stuff! We have been fortunate to recieve the french doors,a rocker/recliner,a weight set/gym for Alex,a scanner just to name a few. Alot of the Freecyclers,when they have a garage sale, will post a time for people to come pick over the leftovers. We went to one last weekend and got a bunch of computer programs,cut glass,books,shelves and other decorative odd and ends.
I just posted on there this morning to get rid of some sliding patio doors,a garment rack and the windows we are removing.

FREECYCLE ROCKS!!!

G-Mom grinnnn

#126483 July 22nd, 2005 at 08:36 AM
HI all i belong to three freecycle groups in my area in three diffrent countys.one mans junk is another mans treasure.your friend in garding n free stuff.mike57

Link Copied to Clipboard