This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#126214 June 29th, 2005 at 09:30 PM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
I hear people talking about this but have no clue. Can someone explain this to me? Duh

#126215 June 29th, 2005 at 10:23 PM
I've heard of doing layers of compost like a lasagna (brown/green/brown/green). Maybe that's it??? Duh

#126216 June 29th, 2005 at 10:44 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Yep that's the kind of thing. There are really good explanations of it if you google within the site. I would mess it up big time or I would try to explain it. I hope this helps.

#126217 June 30th, 2005 at 02:13 AM
To my knowledge, its a bed that you layer bulbs in...like a lasagna... and the bulbs bloom all at different times so that there are always flowers in that bed.

#126218 June 30th, 2005 at 05:32 AM
Ooohh, that's a good one. I've never heard it called that but I could see how it might be. If its the composting idea then I know Weezie can explain it. She has before (which is how I know it!) teech

#126219 June 30th, 2005 at 10:25 AM
Oooh! oooh! I can help! LOL I'm lasagna-ing as we speak. A lasagna bed is a method of composting. Right now I have a bed going where there was just grass...I started with a layer of cardboard (to smother and kill the grass). You can also use newspaper. Then, all ya do is layer your browns/greens like Kristen said, and basically the worms will come up and help the decomposition happen. Weezie explained it best by describing your browns as the noodles and the greens as the sauce. You keep layering until it's about .. oh, this is where I'm not so sure.. but I've got mine about 2' thick now, an will stop at 3', so it becomes a raised bed. The worms come up, eat the goodies in the layers, and then bring it back down with them. (Picture lots of little worm elevators LOL!) so they are doing the 'digging' for you...I plan on leave my lasagna bed for at least a few months - if not until next spring (I just started two of them a few weeks ago). And when it's time to plant in it, everything will be broken down nicely, and your soil will be crumbly by having been worked through by the wonderful worms who have been munchin on the 'lasagna' you made for them laugh Hope that helps!

#126220 June 30th, 2005 at 06:16 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Jenn,

I think that's called over planting but I'm not possitive. I get lots of things wrong. Do you have an article on doing that. I wanted to look into it.

#126221 June 30th, 2005 at 08:12 PM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, I thought I was stupid or something. I guess I was just misinformed. Thanks guys.

#126222 July 4th, 2005 at 10:05 PM
TK, I used to have the article around here somewhere. Currently, my house looks as if a tornado has gone through it. I've just been soo busy lately. Anyone want to come clean my house??? laugh Just kidding...I think I may "hire" my niece to come help me out one day. ANYWAYS, I will look for the article here at the house and will also look for it online. I loved the idea of a bed that I didn't have to do anything with!

#126223 July 5th, 2005 at 08:35 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Tamara,
Mary pretty much covered...
It's a bunch of layers...
Pick an area you want to have worked over
or a new bed started on... mostly this helps
when you're list of things is reallllllly long
and you time to do them is reallllllllly short..
You take card board... *the bigger the better,
cuts down on ridges or seams the weeds can crawl thru... and give it a good watering, so the card board is wet... *which your worms, etc love.*
then take layers of brown and green and layer one on top of the other..The cardboard is considered a "brown" the grass clippings which is considered a "green" and then chopped up leaves "brown" and more grass clippings, etc...
I personally don't add a "food" scraps to this style of "composting" as the animals can get right into it, and screw up your layers...
***I leave the food scraps to the enclosed bins***

But then you really need to leave it alone, I might start mine in the fall, leave it over winter, and even the following year...***but I'm slow and have tons of that type of stuff to get rid of, from having two yards, mine and my mothers... so, I need a place I can dump the stuff a few years and or season's in a row.

I tell alot of people to try to resist the urge to use it too soon, as it takes time for the card board and stuff to break down...***one side note,
you do have to watch out for tree roots, going up and under your "lasgna" and the tree using it...
cause the roots will go anywhere's for a food source...

I also tell people if they really want to garden there, use pots/containers and something of that nature and not dig thru the card board..

#126224 July 5th, 2005 at 10:47 PM
Confession time. I keep sneaking a peek at the cardboard below to see how it's doing LOL! I'm making myself wait until spring though, at least, because if I've waited this long, i've gotta wait long enough that I know it's been done right!

#126225 July 5th, 2005 at 11:36 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Mary,
Just be like me, start so many darn projects,
get pulled in 20 different directions at one time,
start an unbelievable amount of sees, and have to find something to do with them...
and you'll be sooooooo busy with so many projects,
you won't even have time to peak at cardboard,
let alone get to that section of your property
to even looooook at it.. heheheheheheeeee!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard