This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12545 October 24th, 2003 at 06:26 AM
L
limey Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Please help me with my tomatoe vines, people say there no good for the compost, don't ever dig them under the ground, the guy next door wont have them.(keeps throwing them back)
Do I burn them? If so, do I put the ash on the garden or out with the garbage

#12546 October 24th, 2003 at 04:20 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello Limey, wavey
How have you been??? smile

How did your seaweed experiment go??? Duh
I have been wondering!!!!

Anyhow, someone said not to throw them in to
the compost pile...
maybe for only one reason that I might know of.
If you had any type of disease on them such as septiviarium wilt, or anything, it will winter over in the compost from the plant.
If you had a healthy plant, I'm pretty sure they
could be used.....
I am not too sure on the burning part,
Maybe Papito could help with info on that???

Any info Papito???? grinnnn
Still got it???

#12547 October 24th, 2003 at 06:05 PM
P
P
From Schultz Company enews:

at http://www.schultz.com/enews_aug01.htm

portion quoted below.

[qoute]General tomato tips: - plant tomatoes at the recommended distance apart (about 3 feet apart in general) to allow good air circulation, which helps prevent fungal and airborne tomato diseases. - Mulch plants to help keep soil from becoming overdried. - Check plants consistently for diseased leaves / stems. Remove plants or plant parts that appear diseased and discard in trash (instead of composting them to prevent fungal disease incubation). -If you're a smoker, wash hands before touching tomato plants. Tobacco mosaic virus can be spread from cigarettes to tomato-family plants in your garden. - After the growing season ends, remove all plant material from the garden and discard away from the garden to avoid overwintering fungal disease and insect eggs/larvae. - plant tomato cousins (eggplants & potatoes)in another section of the garden to avoid widespread disease problems. - Rotate crops yearly to help keep soil diseases from striking the same family of plants next spring.[/quote]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is also some concern that "thermophillic composting temperature" will not destroy the "Pepino Mosaic virus". The tomato growers and processors are looking into "bio-composting machines" or "bio-composting in Vessels".

#12548 October 24th, 2003 at 06:48 PM
L
limey Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi,
I guess after reading papito's report i won't be putting the vines in the compost or garden(just in case).I had some very good plant with no disease on them Listed best first Alicante- Sweet 100- Italian Plum- Alisa Craig- Early Girl i only planted a few of each variety and gave about 150 plant away to friend
YES,still got the accent(it wont leaf me)Ha Ha.
The weeds from the lake are breaking down well together with the leaves, next years compost is looking very good
Dave

#12549 October 24th, 2003 at 10:01 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Thanks Papito,
I figured you'd know!!
wavey Duh

I'm very curious!!!

Limey,
What kind of tomato is a Alisa Craig??
Red, Orange, small, acidy or sweet,
plum shaped??????
I like hearing about tomatoes!!!
I am going to attempt to grow some white
and purple ones next spring, BigBoy sent to me.
Just curious what type it is./??

gab Weezie gab

#12550 October 25th, 2003 at 03:46 PM
P
P
Weezie,

Burn the vines, yes.

Dig and bury deep, yes.

Make a separate compost pile for (suspect) infested tomato vines?

I'd say no. The fungal spores from the compost pile can be carried by the wind or garden tools (or gloves, boots,etc.).

And, don't forget the trellises or stakes used to support the tomato vines. They have to be scrubbed and washed also.

#12551 October 25th, 2003 at 05:03 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Papito,
That makes sense with the other compost pile!!
Wasn't tooooooooo sure.

Couldn't figure out why you couldn't burn it??????

And or bury it....

That's one thing we have to do with the cages and such, is clean them yet!!!
I hate doing it on cold mad days and we haven't had much of an Indian Summer so to speak!
And I don't think we're going to get one this year either!! eek eek eek eek eek

Thank~You for the info!!
Weezie

#12552 October 25th, 2003 at 08:29 PM
L
limey Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi,
Thanks to all for the info.

WEEZIE
THE TOMATOES YOU ASKED ABOUT ARE seeds I GOT IN (OFCOURSE) ENGLAND THEIR FROM THOMPSON @ MORGAN VEG #283 RED
[A FINE CROPPER PRODUCING MEDIUM SIZED FRUIT OF PERFECT SIZE AND SHAPE EARLY IN THE SEASON WITH EXCELLENT DEEP COLOUR AND NOTED FOR ITS VIGOUR AND THE EXCEPTIONAL FLAVOUR OF ITS FRUIT.]QUOTE FROM PACKAGE
I HAVE ABOUT 30 seeds I WAS GOING TO plant THIS NEXT YEAR IF YOU SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS I WILL SEND YOU SOME
ALSO GOING TO TRY ONIONS GOT SOME KELSAE AND MAMMOTH IMPROVED seeds FROM (?)YOU KNOW WHERE
LIMEY

#12553 October 26th, 2003 at 06:29 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'll IM you!!!

Weezie

#12554 October 28th, 2003 at 05:04 AM
B
B
Weezie- (I lost you and this site for a time.) My gandpa Bill was famous for his tomatoes and always burned his vines and as much roots as he could pull out in a 50 gal. burn barrel when the wind was away from his garden. He composted almost everything else. And he rotated his tomato location in his 30 x 30' garden so the plants were not in the same place except every third year. I just found a pic of him in a scrapbook the other day from the local southern MN newspaper back in the 1950's. He is shown with several Big Boy tomatoes that ranged from 1.5 to 2 lbs. each. (no, I picked the forum nickname BigBoy before I knew he even grew them . . . how ironic)

#12555 October 28th, 2003 at 05:27 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi BigBoy, wavey
How ironic you should post!!
I was just talking to Limey about you and
the seeds for next yr. I got from you. grinnnn

You probly lost us in a small crash we
had a while back....
Should have emailed me!!!

Thanks for the info on the tomato plants....
I didn't think so for the regular ones, but
wasn't too sure if it was for regular flowers.
I didn't think about the spores in the air....
But it does make sense.
So would burning them, and away from down wind.

Wow, those are some pretty big tomatoes...
I have never weighed mine, I should!!
never thought about it... But I had a whopper this year, the Beef Masters.. One looked like 3 tomatoes in 1.... I did plant very late, but I did get a good crop.....Got alot of them......
And summer was over before I knew it.
I always love the harvest of the tomatoes, but then it is the end of summer, bitter sweet!!!!

How did your purple and white ones do???

That's ironic about the nickname!! Maybe he's watching over you and the veggies!! Nice thought!!

Weezie

Don't loose us again!!!!

#12556 October 28th, 2003 at 06:10 AM
B
B
My puter bombed in August as well. So I lost all my favorites and your email address.

The unique tomatoes were OK. The purple I did not like as well as the white ones which were sweet. And the green "evergreen" ones psyched me out so I didn't like them (like eating green mashed potatoes on St. Pat's Day). ;-) My best tomatoes were the Early Girl, Goldens, Romas, and the small yellow pear variety.

Next year I will plant no more whiskey barrel tomatoes even though they did well . . . they need water too frequently and cut into my impulse travelling. ;-) But the weeping hose I had snaked around the tomatoes and other plants did a great job. The water soaked down through the grass mulch and newspaper cover w/o getting the leaves wet. As a result, I had no mildew problems of any kind.

Sure wish I had a heated greenhouse . . . :-)

#12557 October 28th, 2003 at 06:21 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Actually the green house we are getting,
will not have a heater in it..
Would be nice but I just don't garden in the
winter..
I will start the seeds in it...
I think the heat from the days sun,
should be enough come spring time..
Can't start them tomatoes tooooooo early...
Although leggie isn't a problem with tomatoes.

We also got the little starter greenhouses...
Little greenhouses
WEe got 4 of them, and we'd had one this spring.
One little one was NOT ENOUGH!!!
The big one here, is not that bad of a price.
We've been pricing them....
So, my mom said, go for it, you only live once!
thumbup grinnnn
Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard