This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#125379 July 12th, 2005 at 08:49 AM
OP Offline
Hi Jiffymouse:
If misdiricted, please move for me Duh
While power washing my deck I spotted a cluster of healthy poison ivy plants nestled behind deck stairs. Suspect spraying (Roundup?) will not eliminate them; don't want to pull them up by hand :p .
Short of a flame thrower, what are the best options for permanantly destroying poison ivy plants?

#125380 July 12th, 2005 at 10:57 AM
Hey Huntington, if you can smother them that will work...but plan on covering them with flattened cardboard for a few months, I'm guessing...and it may, or may not all die.

The best way to get rid of it is to pull it - after it rains, when the ground is easily workable...pull slowly so that you get as much if not all the roots out. Wear plastic shopping bag gloves on your hand, have someone else hold open a garbage bag for you...put the PI and shopping bag gloves in the bag. Wash clothes right away in cold water. Take a shower with cold water (cold as possible) right after you're done. There was a great link for this...can't find it in my bookmarks, but
Ah...here it is
poison ivy removal

Hope that helps...good luck!

#125381 July 13th, 2005 at 10:14 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Mary for a very complete RX.
Babysitting all day tomorrow, but will try your suggestions tomorrow night.
While all of my kids (son esp.) have had PI, I connot remember ever getting it myself. Either I never got it, or the memory is failin fast.
Stay happy!

#125382 July 13th, 2005 at 10:47 AM
wink Just be careful - Nasty stuff will fight ya for it's life yaknow!

PS - still green! but better than dead! wink

#125383 July 13th, 2005 at 12:02 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I have almost died more than once from poison ivy. Please be very careful.

#125384 July 14th, 2005 at 09:05 AM
OP Offline
Mary's link very helpful. In the market for some "MyBlock", poison ivy preventer.
Mother nature provided some soaking today but I got back too late for the plastic bag glove routine. More soaking tomorrow, and then we do the pull 'em out exercise.
More to follow................

#125385 July 14th, 2005 at 09:52 AM
good plan! Keep us posted...and again be careful!!! thumbup

#125386 July 15th, 2005 at 09:27 PM
OP Offline
Well, the dastardly deed has been done. Followed instructions literally. Spent $11 for a dab of "IvyBlock", on reserve now for futsure encounters. Plastic "gloves" were a wonderful idea, and the poisonous weeds & their roots are gone. Followed with a thourough bath of the area w/amonia. Cold shower for me. Duds in the washer.
Many thanks to all on this site for their suggestions.
Now if someone will tell me how to upload .jpeg's
to this site I'll really feel accomplished.

#125387 July 15th, 2005 at 09:37 PM
Huntington, to upload a picture to this site, you first have to download them to your computer somewhere on the net. I use Imagestation, others use Webshots or Photobucket. Those are free storage sites for your pics.

After you download them on the net, you will have to use the "full reply form" to upload them here. Click on image, then copy and paste your photo's link in the box that pops up. Make sure you have only one http:// before you click ok. It should show up then on your post.

Good to hear that you got rid of the PI! That is some nasty stuff. My husband had a bad bout with it last year. weed-eating the ditch in shorts around here gets you to itching fast. I never have had a problem with it, though. Knocking on my wooden head!

Dianna

#125388 July 15th, 2005 at 09:43 PM
Sounds like you did a fantastic job. Congrats!

As for uploading jpegs - you want to open a free photo account with someplace - I recommend photobucket.com. Once you sign up, make sure you go into 'account options' and check 'make public - YES' (otherwise nobody but you can see the pics) Then, upload your jpegs to their site. Your pictures will show up with 3 lines of code below it...the 1st or 3rd one is the one you want for here. I copied and pasted the 1st & 3rd lines from a pic I uploaded to photobucket...

Result from pasting line 1:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/reboakly/smile5.gif

Result from pasting line 3:
[Linked Image]

If ya need any help shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help!

#125389 July 16th, 2005 at 09:48 AM
OP Offline
Appreciate photo tip.
[Linked Image]
Can see that we have some image size issues here.
Probably should have resized (SHRUNK) before going to PainBucket.com.
Now regret not recording PI as .jpeg before destroying it.
Live and learn

#125390 July 16th, 2005 at 10:02 AM
wow that's gorgeous - where is that?

LOL sorry you had to fight with 'painbucket'!
At least ya got it down for future use though.

#125391 July 17th, 2005 at 02:01 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for cluing me in to Photobucket. Test shot posted last night was from spring Tulip Festival in Doentown Huntington.
[Linked Image]
This image compares my year old red sedum in the foreground (from batch I sent to you) next to this year's Sedum Spurium (Dragons blood) purchased from a nursery on the North Fork.
Golly! Wish mine would turn red already.

#125392 July 18th, 2005 at 04:35 AM
Hey I wouldn't stress too much - yaknow nurseries will force bloom time to get the sale. I read that sedum blooms in the late summer/early fall...so I think we're okay wink

Sheesh I never even knew there WAS a tulip festival in downtown huntington - then again I wasn't into gardening when I was in NY so I wasn't looking for it either.

So, no sign of PI it sounds like? Good job! I found it hard to keep the plastic bags on my hands/arms. Figure if ya tie it then you'll spread it to your clothes when you untie them...may be rubberbands next time idea Then again, hopefully there IS no nextime!

#125393 July 18th, 2005 at 07:39 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the reassurance on sedum.
No sign of PI. Too soon to crow? Actually, I was going to tape plastic gloves on--thought better of it and used the rubber bands. Worked fine.
Enjoy rest of the summer flw

#125394 July 18th, 2005 at 08:09 AM
OP Offline
Hi Mary:
Still toying w/mechanics of adding pictures to forum posts. confused

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had trouble uplaoding multiple jpegs from photobucket using IE browser. Duh
This is effort to reach forum thru Firefox and PB thru MSIE.
Seems to work. Image size more reasonable.
Don't have a clue as to why Duh confused

#125395 July 18th, 2005 at 09:16 AM
'Firefox and PB thru MSIE'

Not sure how firefox works - but I believe it's a separate browser completely from MSIE...so you're either using one or the other, but not both wink

I haven't set up firefox yet - currrently using slimbrowser - but will do anything to avoid IE. I'll open netscape first! IE leaves you too succeptible to viruses, popups and all the ugliness that's out there. Not that slimbrowser or firefox are immune - but firefox is supposed to give you more control and in the end keeping you safer from viruses, trojans, etc.

#125396 July 20th, 2005 at 07:52 PM
OP Offline
Time to leave the outdoors and try some "theoritical" gardening. Have tons of tips I should be reading.
No sign of PI on me grinnnn
rose of Sharon--which nobody wants--breaking into full bloom now. Team taught class on MSWORD to a bunch of seniors zzzzz zzzzz on Monday. Today is first day of digital photography course (I'm a student.) Much needed.
Keep smiiling

#125397 July 23rd, 2005 at 10:19 AM
Hey ya all there is this stuff called I believe Technu. It is suspose to be rubbed on before exposure and it will prevent you from breaking out with the rash. ( I say this as I sit here with camoline lotion all over me! yes I mean all over me neck face legs arms chest) and No I was not rolling in it but clearing it and mowing it away! But I am quite satisfied now that my kids will no longer break out with it. As it has been pulled mowed and pulled out of every last tree in the new lot we purchased. And the positive is I now have 5 new trees to plant some pretty hostas under this fall and to mulch. The end will be worth the itch!

#125398 July 24th, 2005 at 09:52 AM
OP Offline
Hi Karrie:
Learned on this forum about a preventer--called "IvyBlock". It worked for me.
Good luck w/new trees.

#125399 July 24th, 2005 at 10:22 AM
Geesh - I thought you were TAKING the MSWord class laugh Good luck on the digital photog class...wish I was taking it too!

Karrie - have ya ever had chigger bites? I've been going back and forth with my partner about which itch is worse LOL Hoping you can settle the argument for us wink

Sorry you're itching - but glad you got it all up and don't have to worry about it anymore!

#125400 July 24th, 2005 at 11:49 AM
Mary the best way to get rid of a chigger bite is to put some clear nail polish on the spot. Dont ask me why but it works. And umm the worst is poison sumac. Which is what the doctor says I have this time. LOL I have had it all now ivy oak and sumac.........So I consider my self an expert in self torture. I know I am gonna itch but I gotta clear it out, and make way for pretty fun plants and flowers. My Ag teacher though I was nuts I missed prom my senior year beacause of posion ivy rash. But I planted my first garden that year adn it was worth it!

#125401 July 25th, 2005 at 10:12 AM
My sedum is a beautiful red now. Should I be concerned?

#125402 July 26th, 2005 at 11:53 PM
OP Offline
My sedum is a beautiful red now. Should I be concerned?

I'd be elated, if mine turned red. May have to go to remedial plant identification clinic. Could I have planted "creeping green sedum" and thought it was red? Might be ph soil anamoly. My new addition (rich red when planted) is beginning to look a sickly green.

Seriously, I'll wait it out and see what happens. shk

#125403 July 27th, 2005 at 02:00 AM
Thanks Karrie - I tried the nailpolish thing - felt strange shopping for nailpolish LOL but I did it...and even got some chigger-off or something I don't know what it's called...nothing stopped the itching...it drove me crazy. I don't know for sure it was chiggers, may be that's why it wasn't working wink

Wow, you've got red sedum? laugh I'd love to see a pic! Huntington, the sedum you sent me is still alive - even sent up a new baby. Guess they do live up to their name 'live forevers' eh? I haven't seen any color in them yet though...but don't expect to for quite awhile after you do since these were transplants...if I do at all this year, that is.

I have creeping yellow sedum - very different in texture and growth from this. Patience is a virtue (though I'm not very virtuous myself!) let's see what happens come end of august. wink

Oh, and Karrie - be careful girl! LOL!

Link Copied to Clipboard