This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12505 November 18th, 2003 at 09:14 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I just love my burgmansias are my favorite plant in garden just recently over the weekend had 2 bloom that started from cuttings last year
dr suess
charles G
they smell hevanly& look great
also got some blubs with 1 st bloom acidanthras suppose to be most fragrant bulb they grow 3 ft& bloom all up the stalk like glads...not posted photo yet...am close
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
burgmansia albulm

#12506 November 18th, 2003 at 09:24 PM
I am soooooooo jealous! :p I tried to grow brugs for 4 years - summers outside, overwintering inside - ended up with 6 nice sized plants and not a single bloom in all four years. frown

Yours look gorgeous - congratulations! thumbup

kit Lynne kit

#12507 November 19th, 2003 at 06:32 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Make that a ditto on me being
jealooooouuuuuuuus too!!!
(grew a cousin, the datura)
and was in love with the smell,
had my nose buried in a for half the night!
The colors on it are awesome!!!! flw flw flw flw
Weezie

#12508 November 19th, 2003 at 07:59 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
i think i have the charles G and dr suess mixed up.and if go by the leaf I do have 2 cuttings grown of charles g so would be mix up.i gotta find a dr suess now bloomer to know for sure colorwise cause looks paler but i do love them& can grow them in ground outdoors here and take back up cuttings.both of those are cuttings from last year about may/june and are just now blooming but was cuttings below the Y unlike my frosty.they need lots of fertilizer to bloom good i fertilize 3 times a week but when is hot am less likely to hit um 3 times a week but can manage once a week& they love wtaer so are probably really thrilled with all that rain as we got over 9 inches cause my rain gage fell over so only know 8.86 for sure but have buds popped out this morning and another frosty blooming,but seems a shorter flower than other frostys.i could ramble on theses all day.i just love them.
i have some dauntra too some white and purple white swrill& some seeds of other dauntra for next year.can't wait to grow my triple yellow dauntra next yr& am always looking for burgs I don't have.would love a double one or even the shredded or peaches& creme varigated

#12509 November 19th, 2003 at 11:17 PM
njoynit,
I'll be growing brugs this next spring for the first time. Have received the following cuttings: Isabella, Snowcone, Whiskers, Strawberries and Cream, versi salmon, versi alba,
Sauvleons deep pink, whiskers yellow cross, and a tropical sunset for starters. Maybe if I succeed, we can trade cuttings next year! Would love to get a Charles Grimaldi and a Dr. Suess too! I'll be trying datura this year also...They all smell so wonderful! flw

#12510 November 20th, 2003 at 06:06 AM
IowaNovice, I'm a new brug addict, too! I can't believe I've gardened so long without ever growing brugmansia, so now I've got to catch up! thumbup
I'm rooting my first cuttings now, but don't have nearly as many as you! thumbup

Nikkal

#12511 November 20th, 2003 at 06:24 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Where's flower Crazy been,
she's into those big time!!

She's got a site too about them,
Night Owl or something like that..
I'll have to find the link!!

Weezie

#12512 November 20th, 2003 at 05:40 PM
Nikkal,
That's great! We'll definitely compare notes...are you rooting yours in water or in potting mix? Mine are in water...will probably pot some of them this weekend, but some don't have the roots yet, only little white nubbies and I'll wait til those sprout roots before putting in soil...I'm VERY excited about growing them!!!

njoynit, how do you start yours?

#12513 November 23rd, 2003 at 12:03 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I do mine in water& have done log style where you lay it downn flat in potting mix and sprouts right up.I have an unknown pink that had got in trade and looks alot like frosty pink but the buds are stumpier and the leaves seemed shaped pretty much the same but are darker.is my tallest one.so will have to watch it next year so see the look of bloom color in different season,but the blooms are lasting 4 days in this cooler weather ceept for that windy day earlier this week,they lasted 1 day.
I have noticed that they need fertilized more when budded& blooming and have tried fertilizeing every other day this time and seem to do better no leaf yellowing on meam getting a yellow cutting from my MIL neighbor today and sending him some of mine back with her but will grow my MIL for her over winter as she just don't have the space with living in 5th wheel.I'll do some pruneing today as say will be 34 in frown morning ters I really hope not
we will have to do some tradeing next year.I've learned through my hubbys gardening impairment problem that they do growth spurts after his selective pruneing while teaching me propagation.these plants can grow so fast.is amazeing when I glance back at my photos in garden file.
I do have dauntra too and getting other colors for next yr

#12514 November 24th, 2003 at 01:42 AM
Iowa, I have some of mine in soil, and some in perlite. I had them in water, but they weren't doing too well. I was told they'd grow roots faster in perlite, and they did, but even though the ones in soil have less roots, they've started putting out new top growth, the ones in perlite just have roots.
I've got some more cuttings coming, I'll try the water again, and I want to try the "log method" njoynit uses. I've used this log method with my Draceanea (corn plant), with excellent results.

Nikkal

#12515 November 24th, 2003 at 09:53 PM
Oh Happy Day! I received a dozen cuttings from a fellow gardener on Saturday. I got 2 each of Candida Double White and Janet Reno, and one each of these: Tropical Sunset, Dr. Suess, Charles Grimaldi, Whiskers Yellow Cross (with C.G.), Peaches and Cream, versi salmon, shredded white, and insignis gold. I just hope I can get them all to survive this winter and grow for me next year!

I haven't tried the log method yet, how do you separate the shoots from the log when it is time...or does the log just go away as the shoots are growing and producing their own roots? Any info would be great!

#12516 November 25th, 2003 at 04:13 AM
Iowa, it's possible to get a new shoot from each node of the cutting when using the log method. It's best to use woody cuttings, 4 or more inches long. Lay the cutting on it's side on moist potting mix, with as many nodes as possible pointing upwards. Bury the log about 1/2 of it's width in the soil. New plants will form at the nodes, with roots directly underneath. When new plants are a few inches high, you can cut the log on either side of the new plant, and pot up. Here's a site with some pics:

Cuttings

Nikkal

#12517 November 25th, 2003 at 05:17 PM
Thanks for the site....have been there, but hadn't looked up "cuttings" yet....Looks like I may have to move some of the smaller ones to soil to root them...I guess they would be softwood cuttings and BGI says they'll root well in soil...have a couple that don't seem to be doing too well in the water. Thanks again!

#12518 December 11th, 2003 at 06:21 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I also add a cap ful of hydrogen peroxide to help water rooting gives more oxygen
can't wait till spring.i'm saveing any container eligiable for growing in.milk jugs...bleach jugs.i pulled over the other day cause was a styrofoam cooler on side of road and no holes yet!
i may have to use my butter bowls to hold me over till can set in ground

Link Copied to Clipboard