This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12469 October 30th, 2003 at 12:57 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi I have a few plotted plants that seem to have this very tiny white mite, only on the soil though and i found them when i was watering my plants, can someone help me with this buggy problem.......thanks donna

#12470 October 30th, 2003 at 11:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can you provide a more detailed description of the critters that you are seeing?

#12471 November 2nd, 2003 at 02:33 AM
T
T
Originally posted by dlmwarden:
Hi I have a few plotted plants that seem to have this very tiny white mite, only on the soil though and i found them when i was watering my plants, can someone help me with this buggy problem.......thanks donna
It's more than likely a soil mite or a Springtail. Springtails....wait for it........spring!

They are no harm to the plants, they feed off damp organic matter in the soil. To control allow the top half of the soil to dry out more often. Insecticides aren't normally recommended for them.
Nearly everyone has one or the other in a few of their plants. Most won't admit it though!

Tom

#12472 November 5th, 2003 at 07:37 PM
if its just the soil would not think spider mites but the do live in soil also you just usually see themm on the plant.i get them on my hibiscus but not this year*knock on wood*I use garden safe insecticidial sopa& this is the time of year to buy it as its on clearance most places.I buy the concentrate and mix it up.it kills aphids,mealybugs,mites,leafhoppers,scale,thrips& whiteflys and a few others

I had a goast like looking bug in soil last year in my cyclamens& used chamomile tea on them and it worked.was actually for a seed damping off solution and figured what the heck.least my soil smelled good& the bug whatever it was did go away.

Link Copied to Clipboard