This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#124409 January 10th, 2005 at 04:57 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey everyone...

Last week I ordered a quilt frame and its supposed to come sometime this week. I'm soo excited! I'll be able to make big quilts more easily now.

I am designing a breast cancer quilt that I would like to auction off in a silent auction as a fund rasier for the Relay for Life. It will have a white or off white background with a giant pink ribbon in the middle. All around the ribbon will be log cabin blocks (don't know if anyone knows what those look like). For each bar in the log cabin blocks, I'm going to quilt the name of a breast cancer survivor or victim. I did the math and I should need 952 names for my quilt. I wanted to give my friends here at the forum first dibs on getting names of people who they know on the quilt. So, if you know someone who has or had breast cancer, will you share a name?

#124410 January 10th, 2005 at 05:19 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is a picture of what the quilt looks like now. I might modify the top part of the ribbon, but this will give you the idea of what it will look like. The blocks around the ribbon with all of the pieces are the log cabin blocks. That is where the names will go.

[Linked Image]

#124411 January 10th, 2005 at 05:28 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I will PM you!!!

Weezie

P.S. That quilt is AWESOME thumbup and I cool love luv it!!!

#124412 January 10th, 2005 at 05:30 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Jenn...
That is awesome!

Unfortunately, I have a few names for your quilt. ters

I'll PM them.

#124413 January 10th, 2005 at 06:27 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Unfortunately, I have a few names for your quilt.
I would consider that to be a good thing. wink

I have been asked if I am taking first names or whole names. Since I will have pieces that are going to be small and large, I will take first names, first and last names, or just initials.

If you have friends who know of people whose names could be on the quilt, let them know about the quilt and then ask for names.

I am not sure if we will do the silent auction...I might end up doing a raffle...or drawing (same thing, I suppose) since that might bring in more donations than the silent auction.

#124414 January 10th, 2005 at 06:32 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the quilt revamped. The top of the ribbon is now more in proportion. Which do you like better....#1 or #2?

[Linked Image]

#124415 January 10th, 2005 at 06:34 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Well, when it's all finished and you're ready to raffle it or whatever, let me know and I'll buy a bunch of tickets! Then, I'll raffle it off again and donate the money if I win it.
thumbup

#124416 January 10th, 2005 at 06:35 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child

#124417 January 10th, 2005 at 06:53 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, when it's all finished and you're ready to raffle it or whatever, let me know and I'll buy a bunch of tickets! Then, I'll raffle it off again and donate the money if I win it.
laugh laugh I like the way you think!!

#124418 January 10th, 2005 at 07:00 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
It would be neat if everyone who ended up with it did that, and you could track it and find out how much money ended up being made (donated) off that one quilt!

thumbup

#124419 January 10th, 2005 at 08:23 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
The pink ribbon is for breast cancer, and that was originally going to be what my quilt is for, but I was thinking more, and the Relay for Life is for all types of cancer. Should I make the ribbon a different color??? Should I put names of people who had other types of cancers also?? What do you guys think??? Duh

#124420 January 10th, 2005 at 10:07 PM
Meg Offline
I think a lot of people know what the pink ribbon is for. It is recognized instantly. Another color, and others may not realize, and have to ask, what the significance of the color is. The only other color I can think of, is yellow, because Lance Armstrong wears the yellow band & sells them to support cancer research from his website. However, a yellow ribbon is widely used already, for "supporting our troops". I think it would be fine to include other types of cancer victims/survivors on the quilt. I could give you several names from my family and my hubby's family. If you decide to use more than just breast cancer, just say so, and I'll include the others.

And I think the 2nd version looks nicer too. wink

Meg

#124421 January 10th, 2005 at 10:33 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
The other color would be lavendar. But maybe I should stick with the pink. Dunno....anyone else think anything of it?

#124422 January 10th, 2005 at 11:04 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
If it's for Breast Cancer,
it absolutely has to be pink!!!

But, start a new trend and if you can do
more than one, do a purple one and put
other cancers, all types of them....
Would be a fantastic idea....

Weezie

#124423 January 11th, 2005 at 03:51 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I guess I will just stick to breast cancer for this quilt. I did find out that lavendar is for all cancers in general and baby blue is for prostate cancer. So, I will do the breast cancer quilt for this year, and perhaps a lavendar one for next year and the blue one for the year after that. smile

So, now all I need is some names. smile

#124424 January 11th, 2005 at 04:01 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Jenn...

I PM'd you the name.

Please make sure we get a chance to buy tickets, or whatever, for this quilt if it's possible. This subject hits a little close to home with me. ters

I explained in the PM.

#124425 January 11th, 2005 at 04:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think it is awesome and i am posting my names (and how they fit) here. mostly so that if anyone should read this and know these people, they will know that they are remembered.

first (and closest to my heart) is Nelda Picheo. she was my great aunt on my father's side and absolutely one of my favorite people growing up. i still miss her and she has been gone a long time.

second is Henrietta Mead. the land i grew up on was purchased from her and her husband. i think she is the first person i ever knew with breast cancer.

the third is Eileen Hudspeth. Mrs. Eileen is the grandmother of one of my daughter's friends from middle/high school and is still hanging in - although the cancer has spread horribly, she was in church for the Christmas eve service!

i think what you are doing is a wonderful thing, and i am proud of you. please be sure to post a picture of the quilt when you are done!

#124426 January 11th, 2005 at 06:45 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Jen...this is AWESOME!!!
I would be honored to have my mother's name on the quilt...Helen Williams...I miss her SO!!!
And my sister~in~law who has jus finished her Chemo (for this month) Mildred Walker.
And a VERY dear friend Grace Drye (survivor)who is a nurse and does medical missions with her husband...they help SO many people who have no medical resources in many different countries.
I'm with Cindy on the raffle thing...I will raffle your ears off...and help in any other way you need it...like do you need material, thread,an 18 m/o baby to keep you awake so you can work on it longer??????(oops, guess you wouldn't want that, Peanut is driving me crazy right now)Anything you need I will pitch in...just let me know! This ia a GOOD thing you are doing! cool

#124427 January 11th, 2005 at 06:56 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Peanut is driving me crazy right now
What the heck is Peanut doing up at this time
of night??? laugh

Weezie

#124428 January 11th, 2005 at 07:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jenn,

Your quilt is so beautiful! What a moving project to work on - I'm ters at the thought!

Have you decided to limit the names to victims of breast cancer? If you are including other types of cancer, I have names to add to the quilt if you have the space.

You're doing a great job - please let us know if we can contribute to the project!

#124429 January 11th, 2005 at 12:49 PM
Meg Offline
Ok Jenn.. I think I'll follow suit here and give you names I know-
Lottie Whitmore, she was my husband's great grandmother, and a very sweet woman.
Lillian Huffman, my very own grandmother, who's still kicking. Can't say the same for my grandfather who passed away from a different cancer.
Colleen Patrick, a writer, a friend, a survivor.

And definately, let us know when that raffle is!! I like Cindy's idea too.. if it's won, re-raffle it to donate again!!

Meg

#124430 January 11th, 2005 at 04:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm in for the raffle! It's a GREAT idea kissies

Marie Dorsey-My maternal Aunt,she passed when I was 11. During her hospital stays she crocheted afghans,the last one she made was for me and she finished it 1 month before she passed(I still have it!)

Lee Thompson-Maries daughter. Cancerous changes were found and she endured a double mastectomy. She is a very "volunteer" oriented person and has survived to help her community again.

G-Mom grinnnn

#124431 January 11th, 2005 at 06:41 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the names! So far I have 13 names for my list. I've once again revamped the quilt because I found more rotated blocks in it!! But, I think I've got it completely figured out now. I've added a deeper color pink to it to get that 3 dimensional look to it. Let me know what you think of it....do you like it all the same color pink or with the 2 pinks?

[Linked Image]

Thank you to those who want to donate to the quilt. I'm not one for asking for help, but since you've volunteered, I will definately take whatever your willing to donate!! I've got thread to sew the blocks together, but I don't have the fabrics that I'll need. I thought about going to JoAnn Fabrics or Wal-mart and asking if they would like to donate to the project, but I'm not sure if that will take alot of time??? Duh The Relay is in July and I need to have the quilt done by at least May to show it so that people will buy into the raffle. So, here is a list of fabric that I will need for the top of the quilt.

1 yard of the medium/dark pink
7 yards of the medium/light pink

and a whopping 14 1/2 yards for the white/cream/off white color this calculation is probably NOT right. I'm sending the picture of the quilt to my MIL and she is going to figure out how much of this I'll need.

I will also need 5 or 6 spools of pink hand quilting thread for after the top is done and I'm ready to quilt the top.

PM me if you'd like to donate so that I can give you my address and tell you what kind of fabric to look for.

#124432 January 11th, 2005 at 06:54 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Seems to me that you might get the wrong color matches, or not what you really want if we send fabric, thread, etc. Duh

I'll just send a little CASH so you can get what you want.

#124433 January 12th, 2005 at 01:01 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I didn't think about that.

Thanks soo much, Cindy. I'm going to give anyone who donates to the quilt credit on the label...which is a big deal...its not everyday you get your name on a label!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard