This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#124371 June 15th, 2005 at 07:37 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
...or in another words upside down milk bottles lol. I put the hole in the milk bottle cap and cut off the bottom of the bottle and have my first drip water resevoir. I was suprised at how fast the water comes out of that little tiny hole but the hosta's are loving it. They look much better. I'm thinking of putting the milk bottles in other places in the garden too. Like in the middle of the cannas, along the row of glads, in the middle of the tomatoes, near the columbine. I think I will try to find some green paint that will adhear to plastic so they look better but other than that this is a good deal.

#124372 June 15th, 2005 at 10:44 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
What would happen if you sunk the milk jugs in the ground up to the edge????? Would the water run out slower???....then you wouldn't have to paint???
Duh

#124373 June 16th, 2005 at 12:13 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That would be ten inches down would the water still get to the plants? I have pretty good drainage so I'm not sure if it would affect the speed of the water that came out or not. Maybe I could bury them half way down say about 5 inches. That way the plants would pretty much cover them. Thanks for the idea Catlover that is cool.

#124374 June 22nd, 2005 at 09:22 AM
try the same design but with 7 up 2 liters they are green! smile

#124375 June 22nd, 2005 at 09:34 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
You know I thought about using a soda bottle a clear one. But I couldn't cut the bottom off. The bottle kept colapsing on me lol. My knifes aren't the sharpest on the market lol. They are freebies I got with some Omaha steaks that were on sale. But Catlovers idea of burying them deeper does make them a lot less noticable. Maybe I'll look in the juice section for something in a green bottle that would be great. As long as it doesn't have limeade in it lol. I'd never get it empty.

#124376 June 24th, 2005 at 09:20 AM
R
R
You could use some flexible tubing. And a wick.

Attach as many as you would like to holes made in the low point of your container. The wick will aid in drawing the water out no matter the height.

You could, also, disguise your dripper inside or behind an ornament such as a rain barrel, etc.

The wick will slow the water flow and allow the soil to draw it out as needed.
To get the wicks (some cotton string slightly smaller than your tube opening) into the tubes you will need: 1) a fishing sinker of the BB type that can be crimped to a line; 2) nylon fishing line; 3) very small safety pin.
Crimp the BB to the nylon line. Tie the nylon line to the loop in the safety pin. Attach the pin to the cotton wick. Drop the BB through the tubing. Then use the nylon line to pull your wick through.

#124377 August 10th, 2005 at 08:07 PM
So what's the idea of this - to catch the rainwater? Then slowly let it out?

I'm going to try this and see what happens.

#124378 August 10th, 2005 at 08:08 PM
I'm inclined to agree with the green 7 up bottles idea - I've used them to cover small plants and protect them from the squirrels - they look good.

#124379 September 5th, 2005 at 10:27 AM
Tammy,

2 yrs ago i did just about the same thing but i was using 2litters coke bottles,put water in and took off cap,planting it right hext to the plant(upside down of course so the water goes directly near roots and it was parfect for tomatoes and cukes,they would drink when ever they d need to and 1or 2 times a week i d put some more water;use to put a little sugar in the water for tomatos as i like the tomatoes sugary a little,worked good.

Link Copied to Clipboard