This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#124152 August 7th, 2005 at 06:46 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
I posted this morning about a parrot I was asked to care for . I got a call this afternoon to go pickup the parrot when I got there he also had Yorkie that he kept in a travel Kennel I took him also. when I got them home it took me a solid hour with a high pressure hose to get the bird cage clean. Had droppings so heavy on the grill in bottom you could not see through the grates. The bottom had at least 3 inch of old waisted bird seed. Man said bird will bite I reached in bird got on my hand right off. He is now here talking to my other birds and the yorkie thinks he owns me. Posting photo's below. Cindy what kind of Parrot is this?
[Linked Image]
I call the bird Trent man said his name started with a T that was all he knew as his mother gave the dog and bird to him
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The food and water trays stunk I cleaned them out and placed in cage with fresh water and food. Trent almost took water bowl away he was so thirsty and ate until I thought he was going to burst. He is now talking to Wolfman and calls me not by name but he hollers until I come in there. He is very pretty.

#124153 August 7th, 2005 at 06:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe your little parrot is a Sun Conure

Beautiful bird!

G-Mom grinnnn

#124154 August 7th, 2005 at 07:04 AM
God bless you Jimmy kissies for taking in these beautiful animals.

It breaks my heart to think of animals living in filthy cages.

#124155 August 7th, 2005 at 07:20 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Thanks G-Mom that sure looks like him. Gave him a cracker now he took one bite and threw it at me. He is going to be a handful but I will get him tamed and trained with some effort. Duckie I do too. I almost hit him way he acted like they were nothing. Two years ago I had taken a Cocker spaniel from his mother took $1800.00 to get the holes in that dog cleaned and sewed up and dog healthy people that took her knew what they were getting into but like me they hate mistreated animals.

#124156 August 7th, 2005 at 07:27 AM
Meg Offline
How sweet JV. I thought it was a conure, thanks g-mom for clearing that up! They are beautiful birds. They can be a bit loud, but they are not known for their vocal abilities.. so don't be surprised if he doesn't say much. Looks like you have a couple new friends JV. thumbup

Meg

#124157 August 7th, 2005 at 07:43 AM
What a beautiful bird, JV. And the dog looks adorable.

Thank you so for taking these animals in. You are a good man, JV, a good man.

Merme

#124158 August 7th, 2005 at 07:48 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I just got here...
I have to go tuck Lola in and kiss her good-night, then I'll be back...with my 2 cents worth.

#124159 August 7th, 2005 at 07:49 AM
Beautiful bird you have there Jimmy. Like the name Trent as well. I bet you will have him talking very quickly!

#124160 August 7th, 2005 at 07:52 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Your my hero, theirs too.

Need the ticker tape parade graemlin here but I don't have it. Maybe Cindy will come by with one for the string. You definitely deserve one. That Yorkie looks so cute and what a beautiful bird. Lucky you.

#124161 August 7th, 2005 at 08:11 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I'm back...had to go tuck my baby in.

Well......... ters
Cindy

#124162 August 7th, 2005 at 08:44 AM
Yes, I agree, don't let those animals back to that horrendous life!

#124163 August 7th, 2005 at 09:37 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Tammy thanks for the vote of confidence but i am no hero. I just do what I can when I can cannot and will not stand by while an animal,child or some defenseless person is abused. Cindy I agree these are not pets they are my children. They are a lot of company for me also I am always talkign to them. they seem to talk back with their eyes and tail wags. Spot stands by the proch and lets me hold on to him while I go up or down the steps. Last year when both feet were so bad I couldn't walk he was right by my side when he saw blood coming through the bandage he would nuzzle me and start crying. Buckie turns back my cover at night. Mimi is the only girl so she gets tucked in at night. Silly maybe but who cares they love me And know I love them.

#124164 August 7th, 2005 at 09:40 AM
Not silly at all. It is very sweet! How is Mr. Trent settling in?

#124165 August 7th, 2005 at 09:57 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
He was being very vocal when he saw me cover the other birds he went in his nest never had to say anything to him. Did tell him goodnight but I tell all of them goodnight everynight. Waite until morning when I get up at 4:00 others are used to it and expect it but have to see how he handles it. clyde has already crawled all over his cage trying to get him to come out of course it is playtime for gliders being nocturnal.

#124166 August 7th, 2005 at 10:02 AM
I am sure he will be a lil thrown off come morning but will get used to it quickly!

#124167 August 7th, 2005 at 11:15 AM
Why do these awful people have so many pets?

#124168 August 7th, 2005 at 01:23 PM
T
T
They have these pets because they can. Tomorrow they can walk into any petstore and buy new pets.

I have guinea pigs and I love them to death(no pun intended)and am heartbroken when they die.
I belong to a forum for cavies and I have heard so many horror stories about people have gp's and letting them breed however they want then end up with so many they can't cope and the animals end up sick because of the stress.

I firmly believe that the laws related to having pets should be much tighter than they are, not just here in Canada or in the US but all around the world.

going to talk to my babies now.

#124169 August 7th, 2005 at 01:39 PM
AV Queen
AV Queen
Bless you, and thank you on behalf of all the animals you have helped, and are currently helping...

That being said...people who feel that animals are "just" animals have NO business owning pets. Every animal I have but Kricket were someone elses "throw-away"...way too sad.

Miss Abigail had been through six homes in ONE year before I adopted her. That's a new home every two months!!!

Now, as for your new feathered addition...it has been my experience that conures do better with a varied diet. I prefer a seed mix for small hookbills, and research some good fruit, nut, veggie, and protien choices. I cannot currently remember what we chose for ours...and currently I have a indian ringneck that was abused, and had a really terrible screaming problem until I started feeding a wide mix of foods.

Maybe Miss Cindy will have some suggestions??

#124170 August 7th, 2005 at 06:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did their first night in their new home go? Did they rest well?

You are certainly an "Animals Angel"! kissies

G-Mom grinnnn

#124171 August 7th, 2005 at 07:42 PM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Topcat I agree laws need to be more strict but also Inforced.I used to raise guenea pigs too. All the laws in the world are not worth the paper they are printed on if not enforced. Around here the spca is over whelmed with this animal factory mind set. I am no hero or Angel when my wife was alive people would bring her and us the animals they found discarded knowing we would find homes for them. yeah right. Most lived the rest of their lives with us.We were called the dog people because of this. G-Mom so far everything seems ok Hunter would not sleep with me wanted me on the recliner sure and walk this morning I think not laugh He goes outside a lot I was told he wouldn't go at all reason for the solitare confinement. Don't know if it is because the others are in and out all the time or that he can if he wants to. No raised voices in this house at all. Trent now is still in bed other birds are used to being up between 4 and 5 if I havn't uncovered them or gotten up by that time they start in calling out until I uncover them. wolfman looked right at Trents cages while ago and said something that sounded like lazy. He hears me tell the dogs all the time they are lazy. Clyde now tried to make Trent play by crawling all over his cage and barking at him.
I just got Trents attention I checked his food and water dish took them out water was gone And not spilled when I got back he was standing there looking like what is going on put the water back in he took a big drink he must have been very dehydrated. Also food dish full of hulls refilled it and now he is eating . Thanks barleyvclown G-Mom. Afgrey and all for your input and advise I am looking at it all.
Will say he has already gotten on my hand this morning. Thank you all again.
Jimmy

#124172 August 7th, 2005 at 09:02 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Clyde is such a sweetie. I see he wants to play and make Trent feel welcome that is adorable. How is Laci taking to the new babies? Has she noticed them yet? It sounds like Trent is a wonderful bird and has managed to keep a sweet personality inspite of what he has gone through that's great. Wolfman thought he was being lazy huh? That is marvelous. I adore that.

Take care Jimmy and have a great day.

#124173 August 7th, 2005 at 10:10 PM
jimmy,

god bless you for those acts of the hart,and you ve got a big one.

what kind of man would not clean up pets ,specially before giving it to someone ,you should have hit him like you said or at least tell him a piece of your mind.

there ought to be a law for treating the owners the same way they traet their pets,unfortunately there are no such laws.

jimmy you are a very good man and thank you.

#124174 August 7th, 2005 at 10:49 PM
AV Queen
AV Queen
Carrots and apple pieces are popular with my birds, as well as limited amounts of pasta, bread crust, beans, and eggs (gross, I know, but Duke LOVES them...)

I did a lot of readind on the net about feeding of parrots, and esp. of his breed, compiled a list of yes foods, no foods, and sometimes foods...

If you are intrested in the whole list, just let me know!

#124175 August 7th, 2005 at 11:04 PM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Yes barley I am intersted and weould highly appreciate it. Have new photo's taken this mornign of this "mean" parrot no body could do anything with. I have found he was not given any attention he is trying to talk to me and the photo's I beleive will speak for themselves. If you yahoo have my webcam on right now.

#124176 August 7th, 2005 at 11:08 PM
JV,
You are an angel here on earth for all your friends - my dd has 2 sun conures- one she bought from a breeder and has had since a baby- he is very vocal- and one I haven't met yet - she just got her - is about 9 yrs old , owner got sick and couldn't do for her anymore so my Teresa took her in- I agree about letting the former owners live in the same filth they let these poor creatures live in- should have to have a license to have the care of an animal- show you really know what you are doing-
Bless you Jimmy for all you do !
Nana

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard