This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#123978 July 8th, 2005 at 09:16 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Love to crochet while watching movies. Just finished up my latest blanket and wanted to share. It is for a friend of mine in CA. Also adding a pic of my other two "in progress" blankets.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#123979 July 8th, 2005 at 11:38 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Ok I think I recognize the bubble and shell stitches but I can't remember the other stitches name lol. That is so me, there is always something I forget. I love the way the blue varigated came out in that pattern. Did you follow a pattern or was it "free mind" lol.

Have you done any of the reversable blankets in crochet?

#123980 July 9th, 2005 at 01:22 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Its a big Granny square so that pattern is different each time. I love that about the varigated yarns. I don't know what any of the stitches are, a neighborhood Grandma taught me when I was 13 and I have kept it up since then. Never have done a reversable one, sounds really cool. Have you?

#123981 July 9th, 2005 at 03:32 PM
wow those are really pretty! I LOVE the one with the light colors in it...I wish I knew how to crochet eek ters eek ters eek you could make money off those too :-)

#123982 July 9th, 2005 at 08:29 PM
Those are really very nice!

I am knitting an afghan for my daughter now - all pink. My mom started it for her this past winter, but her hands shake so badly, now that she is in her late 70's, that she had to stop knitting it and passed it on to me. I'm not looking forward to doing the panel with all the cables, but the things we do for our children! thumbup laugh perpl

#123983 July 9th, 2005 at 08:57 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
The reversables are so cool. I've done one in black and white stripes it was fantastic. One of my friends had decorated her house in black and white so she got the afgan lol.

It's reasonable simple. One important tip is to make a gage square first because it does shrink from the original chain length quite a bit.

First row: chain
Second row: (1)double crochet, (3)chain, skip (3), (1) double crochet [repeat across row].
Third row: This is where the reversable starts. In the shank of every other double crochet do a 5 double crochet shell stitch then (1) chain clear across the row.
Fourth row: Change color of yarn. Now in the double crochet shanks that you didn't use last time do the 5 double crochet shell stitch. Between each shell single crochet into the top of the previous rows shell. Try for the third double crochet in the group. repeat across the row.
Fifth row: Same as four.

If you change colors every row you will have one color on one side and the other color on the other side. I played them back and forth some so that I have stripes on each side and then finished it off with a boarder of black using the crochet stockenette stitch. You know the one you do with the really long needle? It ends up looking like knitting.

#123984 July 10th, 2005 at 12:20 AM
For those of you who knit baby blankets, you can also do a beautiful blanket by knitting on the diagonal.

Cast on 3
Row 1, increase by 1 at each end. (k 5)
Row 2, increase by 1 at each end. (k 7)

Keep increasing until the blanket is the width you want it to be on the diagonal line then work it down row by row, decreasing each row by 2 until you are back at k 3. Cast off.

An elderly woman made one of these for Maxi in his infancy and it was the most remarkable baby blanket because it had a different movement to it for folding and wrapping around the baby. We both enjoyed it very much!

Merme

#123985 July 10th, 2005 at 01:04 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Those blankets sound great. I am going to have to try that reversible one once I figure out what the stitches are. Like I said, I just do mine and other than Granny Square, have no idea what the stitches are.

I used to sell my blankets when I worked in an office. I would like to do it again but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

#123986 July 10th, 2005 at 01:36 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hey Merme, that technique works great for washclothes too using the peaches and cream all cotton yarn. Usually usualy knit two and then skip two and then go across and reverse at the other side so it looks like it has a fancy edge. They look really nice in the bathroom.

Triss

Chain stitch is just the one you use when you start your crochet. It's basically a slip knot

Double crochet is where you wrap the yarn around the crochet hook twice and then it takes three movements to complete the stitch. I'm going to assume that it is the stitch you are using when you do your granny squares. Each one of the groups of your stitches in your granny square between chain stitches is called a shell stitch. That's were several stitches all go into the previous row at the same point but have their own space on the row being created so they look a little like a shell.

The shank is the part of the stitch that runs perpendicular to the row. And when you attach your stitches there it causes the top of the previous row to be hidden on the top of the blanket and to stand up on the back side. It's used a lot in those items that look like they are made out of a basket weave.

Single crochet. Wrap the yarn around your crochet hook once rather than twice and then work it like you would the double but it will only take two movements of the hook rather than 3.

I'm not sure I could explain that stockenette stitch in words I usually show someone how to do it.

If I could use words like Merme does I might be able to but I'm not that good. Of course you can do any kind of edge you feel comfortable with.

As with so many patterns that go left to right rather than around the outside you have to be careful that your not increasing as you go along. Remember every other row will stop at the third double crocet of a shell while the next one goes on the the chain stitch between shells.

I probably confused you more rather than clarified anything. I'm sorry I wish I were better at explaining.

#123987 July 10th, 2005 at 03:03 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually most of that makes sense.

I will have to print all that out and try it out next time I bring out the yarn.

I just boxed up the blue blanket and will be shipping it Monday. Baby is due mid-august and I wanted her to have it beforehand. I HAVE to finish the other two I am working on plus three more in the next few months for people I know who are having babies between now and October. Guess that means a trip to the craft store.

#123988 July 10th, 2005 at 03:52 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I love the craft store.

#123989 July 10th, 2005 at 06:36 AM
Miss Jamie, I'm gearing up to teach afgrey how to crochet, so I could just as easily teach you as well.

I've written up all the basic lessons and have made up individual little samples of how things are done and am getting ready to mail them to her. I could do the same for you.

Also, today I was told I'm going to be getting a web cam for my birthday in September...so do you realize how easy it would be for me to SHOW you the how-to's?

Afgrey's dream is to make a long, long, long chocolate brown colored winter scarf that she can wrap and wrap around herself, so that's her beginner's project. If you PM me with an idea for yourself, I will get started on making you a set of lessons too and getting you the basic supplies to practice with.

Merme

#123990 July 10th, 2005 at 07:19 AM
wow that would be excellent merme! I can pay postage or anything if you need it! thank you so much!

#123991 July 10th, 2005 at 01:57 PM
Oooooooh, Merme - could I jump on the band wagon to learn how to crochet???
Pretty please???

And, my daughter's friend asked me to show her how to crochet when she saw me knitting, but I had to tell her that I hadn't done it since I was her age - 15 or so. So, I'd love to be able to share this fun hobby with her too!

#123992 July 10th, 2005 at 05:50 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Way to go Merme great idea. I'm so glad you are getting a webcam that is a fantastic gift. I'd love to learn the special language of crochet patterns lol. I've learned by trial and error mostly.

#123993 July 10th, 2005 at 09:33 PM
Good morning, everyone ~

Lynne, TK, Miss Jamie, you are ALL welcome to join the "Merme's Crochet How-In-The-World-Do-Ya-Do-THAT Club" laugh We'll just gather 'round our computer screens and have at it!

tk, the language itself of crocheting is easy once someone unravels it for you. And since you already know how to handle the hook and yarns, learning to read patterns would be a snap.

My work as a crochet preservationist is very important to me, so teaching is a significant part of the effort. Those of us who love to crochet don't want it to become a truly lost art, so sharing the skill means much to us!

Also, you all may be interested to hear that a new method of recording patterns has been divised in recent years. It was developed for non-readers and also foreign language speakers so the patterns are DRAWN rather than written out with words. Cool, huh?

So send me your PM's and I'll scrounge up some hooks and balls of yarn for your practice work and we'll be going a mile a minute before you know it!

Oh, and tk, I was told that this web cam will be easy for me to use. Someone else will install the wires for it down back behind the CPU for me. The cam itself will hook up on my monitor within reach. Then when I want to take still photos outside or wherever, I will only have to unhook the cam and not all the cables!

The person buying it for me said they are only $29 at Target...

Merme

#123994 July 10th, 2005 at 11:57 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Wow Merme this is so great we will get to see the garden and the apartment and the crochet and MAXI!!!! Lots and lots of pictures of maxi as he grows and changes. I hope he isn't camera shy. Oh this is going to be fantastic.

I had some of those diagram books. They were what started me on learning some patterns in Japan. They do a great job with their crochet magazines but they are very expensive. Of course I never knew how much yarn, what ply, or which hook to use since I don't speak or read the language. But I found two american books that also used the diagrams and that also helped some. But I would like to have the language when I am trying to explain something like the reversable blanket to someone. It would help lots. I think it would also help me with some of the advanced patterns that can still give me fits when I try them.

#123995 July 11th, 2005 at 11:58 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Count me in too. I would love to know the stitches I am doing. Not to mention learning how to do new things.

I just started a new baby blanket. It is 150 chains long and double crochet? (loop around the hook, in the hole, through the first two then through again) and on one row I am grabbing the front hole the next row grabbing the back row so the ribbing is all on one side. It looks really cool so far.

Will have to take a pic, cuz I am sure what I jsut wrote makes no sense to anyone, including me LOL.

Triss

#123996 July 12th, 2005 at 01:18 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I followed just fine. And yep that sounds like a double crochet to me too. But Merme is definitely the one to ask. I kind of picked things up here and there, catch as catch can so my information is suspect big time.

#123997 July 13th, 2005 at 10:37 AM
Howdy! 'crochet' caught my eye. I always forget about these forums down here frown But here I am LOL!

Triss: loop around the hook, in the hole, through the first two then through again
Yep, double crochet.

Once you all know the stitches, you can read patterns easily by remembering a few basic shorthand abbreviations for stitches. There are so many free patterns and stuff online now. Here's a basic rundown of some abbreviations:

ch - chain
sc - single crochet
dc - double crochet
tr - trebble (tripple) crochet
dtr - double trebble crochet
slst - slip stitch
yo - yarn over
fo - fasten off
rnd - round (when you're doing something in circle)
rep - repeat wink

Here's an example of a bookmark pattern:
R1: Ch 8, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each rem ch. Ch 1, turn. (7 sc)
R2: Sc in same st as beg ch-1. Sc in each remaining st. Ch 1, turn.
Rows 3-36: Repeat Row 2.
Fasten Off & Weave in Ends.

'course as ya get better, you'll find lots more intricate patterns. Hmmm this is getting me sparked to get started crocheting again wink

#123998 July 14th, 2005 at 12:23 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Everything happens for a reason I have always thought and it is so true. I didn't want to go to the craft store downtown this week so while I was at WalMart I picked up some baby yarn and started a new blanket, partially inspired by the idea of the reverse blanket only with the one color. It is the one with the ribbing only on the front. Well after much debate at the store, I picked girl colors and got going.

Yesterday Dan told me that he very dear friend in Scotland who is terminally ill just got news that her daughter had her first grandbaby. And they had a girl. So this very unique blanket had a home before I ever even started.

If I hadn't started this thread, I wouldn't have gotten the idea for a new type of blanket, nor started this one.

#123999 July 31st, 2005 at 08:25 AM
Hey Merme - are you still offering to teach crochet? I have my needle and yarn ready to go, whenever it's good for you!

#124000 July 31st, 2005 at 10:01 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Those baby blankets are beautiful...
*I cool LOVE kissies

#124001 August 1st, 2005 at 01:04 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Weezie. I finished up another and took pics of it, then sent it off to Scotland. Went to post the pics, but they did not turn out. I am so bummed cuz it was really cool. Hoping Trisha will send me some pics when she gets it.

#124002 August 1st, 2005 at 04:39 AM
Lynn, please tell me what type/size of HOOK you have and also what type of yarn!

Although the stitches are the same using any hook or yarn/threads, some things are easier for beginners to work with...

And is this yarn you've bought for a special project? If so, you probably will NOT want to use it for learning. What you need for learning is an inexpensive ball of basically disposable yarn coz chances are you'll be doing alot of putting in and taking out, experimenting, etc. So I always recommend starting with a PRACTICE set of yarn and hook. Once you are confident, THEN you can use the good stuff and do your special project.

So let me know. I'm ready as soon as you are!

Merme

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard