This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12385 February 27th, 2003 at 10:19 AM
B
Beth Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have a new palm. I was told it was a reca or rica (spelling??) palm. It was a very healthy plant when I bought it. It looks very similar to a butterfly palm. I placed it in a corner next to a window. It gets indirect light only and I mist an water when dry. Shortly after I acquired the plant it has yellowed severely and several of the Fronds have dried up before turning yellow or showing any signs of problems. I need help with this one???

#12386 February 28th, 2003 at 02:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Beth,

Areca palm (Chrysalidocarpus lutescens) is a fast grower (6-10 inches per year) and is difficult to keep looking good because it is a demanding and unforgiving plant.

Areca palms must have very bright natural light all day long. Right in front of an east or west window is best. Without bright light, you are fighting a losing battle.

Water thoroughly and then do not water again until the top inch of soil is dry. Never let the Areca sit in water for more than an hour or so. Arecas are very sensitive to hard or alkaline water. If your local tap water is this way, then switch to distilled or filtered water for the Areca. Also, avoid fertilizing it.

Temperatures should stay above 60 degrees. It also doesn't fare well in low humidity. Miting doesn't effectively increase humidity, so you should use a large pebble tray oir a humidifier, if possible.

Finally, Areac is very prone to spider mites. Check the undersides of the fronds regularly for signs of spider mites (dust-like particles under the leaves). Misting helps deter mites.

If any of these conditions are not right, the Areca reacts by getting brown tips and yellow fronds.

Although more expensive, Kentia palms have proven to be much more durable as indoor plants than Areca palms.

As a final note: Arecas grow quickly and don't last very long. That is why they are cheap. Kentias grow slowly and last much longer. That is why they are expensive.

#12387 March 1st, 2003 at 10:34 AM
B
Beth Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you, that is very helpful. I will try everything.

Link Copied to Clipboard