This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#123777 November 3rd, 2004 at 03:49 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone ~

I thought perhaps you all could use a laugh on this rainy cold day. laugh You are never going to believe this one, but 'tis true.

One night last spring I had to call 911 again. Oh, not for another heart attack, thank God, or for any other medical emergency. I had to call because I was trapped inside the pull-out bed! shocked

When Maxi first returned home to live with me last May, he came home suddenly and his room wasn't quite prepared for him. So the first night I put him in the pull-out bed in the living room but he had a hard time sleeping in it.

The next night I put him in my bed and decided to use the pull-out in the living room myself. thumbup

All the times they've shown up here for life-saving emergencies, it had to have seemed ridiculous to them to be unsnaring me from a bed. :rolleyes: Maxi didn't help the silliness any when he chimed in, confused and half-asleep "Mommy, if you want to wake me, don't yell, just throw cold water on me!" grinnnn I'll certainly keep that in mind, Maxi, if I am ever trapped someplace again.

Making the wise decision to never risk loveseat-turned-deathtrap again, my friends came over the next day and fixed up Maxi's room for him so he could have his room and I could have mine. Then I baked a special batch of chunky Toll House Cookies for the 911 guys and took it up to the Fire Station, which I heard later they loved very much.

When I'm not doing headstands inside my couch, I think the kid and I are doing pretty well.

Merme

#123778 November 3rd, 2004 at 04:03 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
"ATTACK OF THE KILLER LOVESEAT"

I laugh laugh but have certainly been in similar situations myself! Got stuck in MUD once...the more I tried to get out, the deeper I sank. Finally, when it was almost up to my knees, I had to summon help. Several cars passed and SAW me in this situation, but just smiled and kept going, probably because it was ME, and they just assumed that since I was laughing my a$$ off, I was just playing in the mud for my own amusement!
frown

Cindy

#123779 November 3rd, 2004 at 04:13 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
MUD?! Yipes. shk

I'd pick being eaten by a couch any day over being swallowed (and possibly digested) by oozy stuff.

But you know, my friends all pointed out how providential is was that I do not sleep in the nude. Can you imagine if I had gone to bed that night au natural? It would've been bad enough if I'd worn my usual nightie, which would have ended up someplace around my neck but that night I happened to decide on a sweat suit. Don't know why because I never sleep in sweats. Grateful for them that night though, with a living room full of handsome strapping lads and me upside down. laugh

By the way, how did you get out of the mud hole?

Merme

#123780 November 3rd, 2004 at 04:28 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
with a living room full of handsome strapping lads and me upside down.
Hmmmmm.......this is giving me an IDEA idea on how to meet some men! laugh I think I'll opt for the sexy nightie, though! lala

How did I get out of the mud? A backhoe!
I had a cell phone in my pocket. I called Andy and he got the backhoe to dig around my feet a little and move the mud away, then I hung on to the bucket and he pulled me out! laugh shocked

Cindy

#123781 November 3rd, 2004 at 04:47 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
oh dear, poor you! I can just imagine what it must have been like to need dug out with heavy equipment! shocked

I'm almost too scared to ask how did you ever get IN to the mud in the first place?! Or would you rather keep that part private?
smile
Merme

#123782 November 3rd, 2004 at 05:11 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Actually, it was just a routine day in the yard!

I was digging a small pond in my yard, and it rained during the night and filled it up with water. So, I had to get the water out before I could resume digging. Didn't realize it was so muddy on the bottom.....until it was too late!

It's a good thing the backhoe was here, or he probably would have hooked a chain to me and pulled me out with the 4 wheel drive! laugh laugh

Cindy

#123783 November 3rd, 2004 at 11:56 PM
Here's my stupid story! About 5 years ago it was a Sunday morning and I was going to go to my parents. I happened to notice that my dog Kid had fleas so out to KMart I go to get some flea stuff to get rid of them. I wandered all over the place looking for it and when I finally found somebody to ask, they told me that it was out in the garden center. I said "the door is closed, do I just go out there". "Yep, just go out there and it will be right down the 1st aisle on the left." So out there I head, opening and closing the door behind me. Found the flea stuff and bug bombs and go back to the door. LOCKED mad The door is covered on the other side with Christmas gift wrap so nobody can see me in there and there is only a small crack for me to see out. I knocked and knocked but nobody heard me. I was frantic. (and a little scared too sca ) Yeah, I had a cell phone, but it was out in my card nutz I found the phone out there and finally figured out how to use it. I punched a button and got the pharmacy. I told them "I am locked in the garden center can you please yet me out". I was 1/2 way in tears so my voice was all shaky and whatnot. They came and let me out and I'm sure he was having one hell of a time not laughing at me! I was so embarrased that I just left my stuff on a shelf and headed out the door! My mom is calling my cell phone wondering where in the world I was at since it was an hour past the time that I was supposed to be at their house. Needless to say, thank God my mom had flea stuff so I could treat my dog. I dont' think I went back to Kmart for a couple of months after that.

#123784 November 4th, 2004 at 12:03 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh poor you! A locked door has gotta be the worst. How frustrating!! I know I would have been in a panic about that....feeling so trapped.

Merme

#123785 November 4th, 2004 at 12:08 AM
Ok I admit it, I bawled my head off!

#123786 November 4th, 2004 at 01:06 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Sporty...
Bet you were glad you hit the pharmacy button instead of the intercom! shk laugh

When my brother was 12, he was sittin' in the drug store one Sunday afternoon reading comic books. He didn't even notice that the store CLOSED, and locked him inside! (He's kinda like me) laugh

He ate a bunch of candy, then called 911 to come get him out!

Cindy

#123787 November 4th, 2004 at 01:14 AM
laugh laugh That's like my dream come true......the candy part.......waiting for my chocolites (aero bars) to come any day. I got NO Halloween candy, zip,zilch, the kids were with their dad and nobody comes to my house so never bought any. :p

#123788 November 4th, 2004 at 01:25 AM
So you want to know the rest of the story????
About a week later I went out on Sunday evening for some beers and as everybody was walking out, I walked into the bathroom. Yeah, so while I'm in there the gal that is working walks out and locks up. shocked So here I come out of the bathroom about 2 minutes after I walk in there and I'm locked in. AGAIN! For crying out loud, how can this happen to me twice. So I had my cell phone with me this time and I call my girlfriend to tell her that I'm locked in and cannot get out, all doors are deadbolted. So had found out the last name of the gal that was working and she had to come back out there with her keys and let me out. Since then I have been a little more cautious about these things nutz

#123789 November 4th, 2004 at 01:36 AM
Duh

#123790 November 4th, 2004 at 07:27 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Geez, hdsporty, with the things that have happened to you behind closed doors, maybe you ought to take a course or two on lock-picking! I know, I know, it isn't a very lady-like hobby, but yowza, it would keep you safer!

Duh

Merme

#123791 November 4th, 2004 at 04:49 PM
Hey that's a good idea! Maybe my "lock-in" episodes are why I'm claustraphobic! Luckily I haven't had any "dumb @$$" attacks since then!

#123792 January 19th, 2005 at 06:28 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
up for Dixie Angel! thumbup

#123793 January 19th, 2005 at 03:29 PM
Thank you, catlover!

Merme,I am claustrophobic, so the couch would have killed me whether it had digested me or not!

When my daughter was in the hospital for her asthma one time, I remember the elevator stopping between floors for a few minutes. I was terrified! Luckily there were a couple of other mothers trapped with me and they helped by not panicking right along with me. If we had been there one minute more, I might not have survived. Ten minutes is a long time when you don't know if anyone knows you are there or not.

For the rest of the hospital stay, I took the escalator or stairs (she was on the seventh floor) or I did without my snacks from the snack bar (which was on the second floor). sca

Dianna

#123794 January 19th, 2005 at 07:30 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
I can only imagine how terribly frightening it must have been to be caught in an elevator between floors. Definitely NOT a very nice thing to have happened to you and I don't blame you in the least for opting for the stairs after that!

In the months since I was trapped in a headstand position in my loveseat, I have often thought "What if it had been a full-size pull out bed? I might have laid down on it horizontally rather than vertically!" In which case, I would have been completed rolled up inside an entirely closed couch. Even though this pull out is only a twin, a child could still get caught like that, so I am terribly reluctant about using it again.

All my local friends who know what happened, tested their own pull-out beds just to see how much weight near the top would trip the mechanism and most were surprised how easy it was to do. The fire department told me that really, weight should be added on the bar that rests on the floor at the foot of the bed to act as counter to the adult weight positioned closer to the top. They suggested bags of kitty liter.

I've just kept it closed up since then!

Merme

Link Copied to Clipboard