This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#123408 July 1st, 2005 at 09:31 AM
OP Offline
I have a pile just about done. I turned it today, and saw a buncha bugs - not red earthworms, but grayish looking worms. Thought they were 'baby earthworms' at first glance, but now thinking about it, they were too fat and short - and they were kind of curled in the shape of a 'c'. About 20 or 30 of them. I went and read a thread about cutworms - to feed my paranoia - so now Im sure that I have a cutworm farm in my compost pile Duh Say it ain't so!

The pile has cooled off significantly. It's just about ready, but I was a bit lazier this time around, and didn't shred everything into micro-sized bits, so there are a few things I can still identify in there.

Any thoughts? idea

#123409 July 1st, 2005 at 11:22 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Got a picture????

I have sow bugs or pill bugs,
and centipedes', and beetles, and oh, just bugs...
Most of those are the good ones' to help in the
digesting process of all the material...

Picture would be great!!!

#123410 July 1st, 2005 at 06:34 PM
OP Offline
No pic, but knew I shoulda. Ewwey. Okay, I'll try - but can I wait till I wake up first? <yawn graemlin> wink

#123411 July 1st, 2005 at 07:22 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Fat whiteish worm in C shape frown could also be grb worm. They will help in decomposing also to feed Catfish. Also I have found some yellow worms looks like a grub or cut worm crawling on my pepper plants killed it have not seen anymore.
Jimmy

#123412 July 1st, 2005 at 09:54 PM
OP Offline
Well, I turned my pile today...didn't have the camera with me. There were hundreds of these yucky suckers. They're grayish, definitely not yellow - not sure about whiteish, they didn't look white but coulda just been covered with compost yaknow? I dunno - I don't mind them doing all that work yaknow, I'm just worried about spreading the compost and them chewing up my stuff! I'll try to muster up the courage to get pics. It just really grossed me out! Ewwey.

#123413 July 1st, 2005 at 09:58 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'll try to muster up the courage to get pics.
Muster~Muster!~~~~~~~> and get a pic.
You've got me intrigued!!!!

#123414 July 2nd, 2005 at 12:06 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I think they are probably the pill bugs. Those are the ones that look like little armadillos aren't they? I know those are my friend and they love anywhere moist in my garden. Which isn't in as many places as I'd like it to be. Hope they are friends rather than foes Mary.

#123415 July 2nd, 2005 at 02:29 AM
OP Offline
I'm pretty sure now they're grubs, after mustering up the courage to go seek and photograph them ters I have zillions of pill bugs everywhere, and these are definitely not them. I'm uploading the pictures now - will post them as soon as it's done.

Question is, if you all can confirm they're grubs, what do I do with this heap now? I have established bushes that can use a little compost...but will they hurt them? Should I not use it in my gardens at all? I can dump it out in the far end of the yard, if need be. And I guess finally, how did this happen and what can I do better next time, if anything, to prevent it?

#123416 July 2nd, 2005 at 03:02 AM
OP Offline
Okay, here's one of the little buggers. Sorry they're not real clear. For reference, they are about 1/2" - 1/4" long.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

#123417 July 2nd, 2005 at 11:07 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That's a grub waiting to emerge...
Can you say, Japanese Beetle!!!
**(I am never 100% sure, I will see if the
bug lady can widdle it down to a group of bugs)**

How many do you have there????

#123418 July 2nd, 2005 at 11:23 PM
OP Offline
Wait, whaddya mean? Grubs and Japanese beetles are 2 different kinds of bugs aren't they? The pic is actually a bug...wormy looking thing. There were at least a hundred in that pile yesterday frown

#123419 July 2nd, 2005 at 11:38 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I asked the buglady to take a peak..
She is a pretty busy person, and does lot's
of expeditions and such, but she's usually pretty good about taking peaks at the pictures
and answering at least in the "family" of which bug, some she needs to see up close for certain details of identificaions...

But, a Japanese beetle emerges from that casing
*it does a metamorphisis thing from grub stage,
and eats plants roots from underground,
and ememrges, and eats the leaves and flowers..

#123420 July 3rd, 2005 at 12:14 AM
they look like lighting bug pupas to me but i would need to see a better photo. I would just keep them in a jar with a little soil and see what comes out. they don't look like Japanese beetle pupa to me at all.

Can you see any legs or is the larva inclosed in a case? Also need to put a penny in the photo for scale.

Suzanne
!!
(: smile

"Educating the world, one bug at a time..."

#123421 July 3rd, 2005 at 03:05 AM
PS the Japanese beetles are out now.. they showed up about 5 days ago in zone 6.

#123422 July 3rd, 2005 at 08:29 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yeah, that's true..
We had our first one about 3 days ago come to think of it, got the first one at the mail box
and found 3 today on the rhubarb...

It's funny, I was just talkin' with Chemical
Bob about them the other day too, cause it's never failed, he'll post something about them,
I'll open my big mouth and say, I haven't seen them here yet, but if you say they're there,
it won't be long 'til I see `em!!!
An sure enough, they showed up....UGH, UGH,
and double UGH!!!

#123423 July 3rd, 2005 at 08:31 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Suzanne,
lighting bug pupas
My lightening bugs are already here too,
does that mean, they've gone back into the
ground where you are...or haven't gotten up yet???

#123424 July 3rd, 2005 at 08:33 AM
well I do this project with Penn State, where I track the insects with the weather. So I have a weather monitor here to record degree days, and I track the insects that come out to help build models for pests. So watch who shows up very closely.

#123425 July 3rd, 2005 at 08:36 AM
Well i did not catch when the post was from... but from the photo thats what they looked like. More photos would help.

#123426 July 3rd, 2005 at 08:37 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Hi how you doing!!!
It's nice to get to chit~chat with you!!!

So, does that put your lightening bugs out yet
where you area??? or does yours show up first
because you're further South and warmer than here??
Very curious???

And do lightening bugs hide under compost piles?
Seems like it would be too warm to hide under those??? Dunno????????

#123427 July 3rd, 2005 at 09:19 AM
They would hide were food is.. slugs or other meat. Also there are many species of lighting bugs. They all belong to the genus Lampyridae. They may not all be out at the same time time, so even though you see some there may still be different ones in the soil. lightning bug larva image

Now with Japanese beetles, they is just one species.

#123428 July 3rd, 2005 at 09:38 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I have never seen one of those,
very cool picture!!!!

I do see what you are saying, some may be out,
some are still sleeping....
Okay, I am very glad I PM'd you, I woulda told
her to stomp on those, cause they did look like
those grubs that look like J.B.

Do you have any pictures of those grubs to see???

#123429 July 3rd, 2005 at 09:41 AM
OP Offline
Hi! Nice to meet ya buglady wink Sorry I disappeared for awhile there - been in bed most of the day with a migraine.

I checked out that lightning bug larva image...not my visitors though I wish they were. I think I saw legs, but am gonna have to look again. I looked for them again today, gave them a little bath and cleaned em up - they were yellowish/whiteish. Sorry I didn't get pics. It takes courage for me - I'm still trying to make friends with the creepy crawlies. City girl having a hard time with that. Duh I'm making progress though thumbup I'll be back tomorrow with more pics, if my migraine allows. Thanks for the help! grinnnn

#123430 July 3rd, 2005 at 09:48 AM
japanese beetle

but keep in mind there are several different kinds of white grubs.. they are not all Japanese beetles. In fact they are now making up a smaller percent but the fact the Japanese beetles are out during the day makes people blame them the most. They other white grub adults are active at night so people don't see them to blame them.

#123431 July 3rd, 2005 at 09:54 AM
be sure to

1. count legs
2. any antenna?
3. what do eyes look like?
4. Can you take photo next to penny? for size

looking forward to hearing back.........

#123432 July 3rd, 2005 at 09:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Suzanne,
Okay, I've seen those...
what do they look like before they turn that color, are they in a hard shell coating???

The one's I've look exactly like the one's Mary's posted, but when touched on the bottom,
they react to the touch....

Does that help with a diagnosis????

****Mary, go out and touch them,
and see if they move???? heheehehehehee!!
Just kidding, I know how hard it can be.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard