This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12292 February 7th, 2003 at 03:07 PM
R
Ruby Offline OP
OP Offline
R
For Christmas I received an easy to grow indoor bulb kit. The flower bloomed, it was beautiful, but now I'm left with a tall green shaft with 2 dead flower blooms which is sitting in a vase of water with lots of roots. Can/should this bulb be planted? I am not a gardener and I have very little gardening experience, but this was so pretty I would like to have it bloom again, or do you throw out the bulbs once they've bloomed?

Please advise .... Thank You!!

#12293 February 9th, 2003 at 09:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Ruby,

First, cut off the flower stalk at the base and discard it. Presumably, your bulb has produced a few leaves or will soon.

Gently put your rooted bulb into a pot just a bit wider than the bulb and use a soilless, peat-based potting mix to fill in around the roots. About half of the bulb should be ABOVE the potting mix.

Place your Amaryllis bulb in your sunniest window. Water as soon as the top inch of potting mix feels dry. Fertilize monthly at half strength.

When temps are above 55 degrees, you an move your Amaryllis outside into a shaded spot, if you like.

In the fall, stop watering and move the plant to a cool, dim, dry location. Allow the leaves to die back as the plant goes dormant for about 8 weeks. After that, you can resume watering it and you shoud get a new round of flowers for the holiday season.

I have written an article on holiday plant (Amaryllis, Poinsettia, Holiday cacti) care that I will email to anyone who sends a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

#12294 February 10th, 2003 at 08:22 PM
R
Ruby Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you for your advise Will, I'll plant the Apple Blossom Amaryllis bulb tomorrow. Since I live in FL it is above 55 degree's most days.

#12295 February 11th, 2003 at 05:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nighttime temps matter, as well. Don't move your Amaryllis outside until temps are safely above 55 degrees 24 hours per day.

Link Copied to Clipboard