This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#122122 December 19th, 2005 at 12:28 PM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Well here goes another ?dumb? question: Duh

Say I have a white cypress vine and I have a red cypress vine, and grow these together on an arbor, of course they are going to cross pollinate...My question, is one color going to be dominant over the other from the next seed saving or will the result be variegated flowers etc????? Duh

#122123 December 20th, 2005 at 02:44 AM
White seems to dominate in some plants, at least to the extent that they can revert to white as they naturalize. I don't know about cypress vine specifically, but I doubt the seeds would reliably produce all red or all white the first generation. Variegation is usually a more rare trait, often due to genetic damage from a virus or other factors. Many plants with variegated leaves are actually produced from cuttings of plants with benign viral infections. Interesting, no? wavey

#122124 December 20th, 2005 at 03:40 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes very interesting....So I am still unsure of what to do as I would like to mix the two colors on the arbor around my garden gate, But I also would like to save seed each year and/or let it reseed itself, Just afraid of what the result might be after several generations....And white would be the dominant color, I was afraid it would be red LOL...see how much I know on this subject, But that is the reason I posted this in the first place.

#122125 December 20th, 2005 at 04:06 AM
Comfrey...don't take my word for it, this is just what I have observed with some hybridized varieties of plants. It's just as possible that red would be more dominant, since I think that's the natural color of cypress...? My guess is you'd get some seeds for each color, so you could probably plant seed and then thin as they began to bloom. I wonder if this question would be good to post in the seed exchange?

#122126 December 20th, 2005 at 04:38 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't know, I was hoping there was someone with knowledge on this subject (like their field of study) But I am interested in everyone's theory on this, but it may turn out to be an experiment for me...LOL At least the first year it should be very pretty, I may just need to start with fresh seed each year If I want to maintain a proper balance, but then again if I let nature take its course, I could end up with something better then I have imagined???? Oh gardening and planning beds etc is so much fun, it allows you to imagine all sorts of things you can or could do.

#122127 December 20th, 2005 at 05:51 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I think planning a garden falls under the heading of "Life happens while I'm busy making other plans" lol.

#122128 December 20th, 2005 at 10:36 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by tkhooper:
I think planning a garden falls under the heading of "Life happens while I'm busy making other plans" lol.
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Very true tk!

#122129 December 20th, 2005 at 12:41 PM
wavey HI comfrey (quote) My question, is one color going to be dominant over the other from the next seed saving or will the result be variegated flowers etc?????
I Have been growing cypress vines for years they will cross pollinate but you will get a pink color.you will still get red and white ones to.but will not get any that will be variegated in color.peppereater has gave you some great advice on Variegation it is usually a case due to genetic damage or from a virus or other factors that give you a Variegated plant or bloom.red is the dominate color in cypress vines but you can get other colors from cross pollination mostly from the white ones.you can get a lavender color if white is planted with purple morning glorys.I would just save my seeds and plant them then thin them out as they bloom so you get the colors you want to grow.hope this helps your friend in gardening.Mike57

#122130 December 21st, 2005 at 12:43 AM
Wow, Mike! I am so glad you shared the info about the fact that these will cross with morning glorys! I did not know until I read this post and started researching that they were even RELATED to morning glories, and until you told me, I wouldn't have imagined that they would cross with a standard morning glory! Thanks. That's one of the great things about this site, just when you think you've learned something new, you learn some more! clp

#122131 December 21st, 2005 at 02:06 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow Mike & peppereater, kissies this is great info. thumbup thumbup And the part about morning glories how interesting. So how many plants/ cypress vines would it take to fill out a gate way arbor...more like an archway. It is about 2 1/2 feet wide by about 6' tall...it is not round but is square. flw flw flw

#122132 December 22nd, 2005 at 08:38 AM
HI comfrey I would put about six on each side that should give you a nice full arbor with lots of color you might have to trim it now and then as to give you plenty of room to walk under it as they will spread out quite a bit you can plant more if you like and thin them out if they try to get out of hand.hope this helps your friend in gardening.mike57

#122133 December 22nd, 2005 at 08:53 AM
HI peppereater Glad I could share some information
about the cypress vines and morning glories with you and comfrey.I just aquired a lot of new varietys and colors in a trade for postage stamps.some the varietys will have blooms up to five inches across so i will have a lot to trade next year.I will post some photos of them next year and will be glad to share some seeds with you two next fall.your friend in gardening.mike57

#122134 December 22nd, 2005 at 01:13 PM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the help Mike! I'll take pictures when they are in full bloom this summer.

Link Copied to Clipboard