This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#121808 June 19th, 2005 at 03:39 AM
OP Offline
LOL Couldn't resist, I'm hungry!

I started a lasagna bed today...wahoo!

The area is about 3'x8'. I was able to get about 6 lawn mower bags full of grass clippings, and spread them on top of some cardboard I cut down and laid flat. It's about 6" deep. I had 1 bag of clippings left, and spread them out to dry, and will use it for my brown...I figure they'll be dried out by tomorrow - but I dunno, I think I need more brown. Although in my mind, the top layer of grass will dry in the sun, and I can turn it into the green underneath. Would that do?

If not, I have a half done compost heap I can put on top, if that's a good idea? I wanna be able to use this SOON, like 2-3 weeks. Tell me it's possible... Weeeeeeezieeeeeeee!

#121809 June 19th, 2005 at 04:14 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
trying to prepare that flower bed aren't you? Make sure those things can be planted now. I didn't check before I sent them.

#121810 June 19th, 2005 at 04:33 AM
OP Offline
You betcha! And if it will work, I'll probably be able to make another lasagna bed with what's left to mow tomorrow. Hmm...kinda makes me reconsider planting over all the grass - whatever would I do without all my compostable greens! LOL!

#121811 June 19th, 2005 at 10:39 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
If not, I have a half done compost heap I can put on top, if that's a good idea? I wanna be able to use this SOON, like 2-3 weeks. Tell me it's possible... Weeeeeeezieeeeeeee!
I am not one to say one way or the other on
how fast to be able to use them..
I am the slow composter... and slow lasgna style
gardener....I like to make sure weeds are killed,
soil is worked up good by the wormies and not much work on my end...
When you speed that up too fast, you're looking
at some disappointments..

But, don't let my style stop you from trying
your own experiments though.... it may work for
what you want...you never know..

My own suggestions were whenever I've talked with anyone about doing it, is to go slow, and in the meantime, cause I know how badly ya want to garden, that you do your layering, double, triple thick it can be... and then cover with some mulch or compost and get your self some pots, containers, statue's, birdbaths, etc.. and do your gardening in the containers, and put it strategically on top of the pile and put a birdbath or saucer of water and/or statue's and you've got your self a little makeshift garden,
while it's working under neath and next season you've got yourself a yummy new garden to start with fresh.. Duh

#121812 June 20th, 2005 at 09:18 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, Weezie - yaknow I trust your garden wisdom and experience...guess I knew what you said before you said it. Sometimes Im in a little bit of a denial because I wanna garden everything LOL I decided to just layer and see where it's at come fall...if it's ready I'll sow/plant then, otherwise I'll wait till spring. I did plant some stuff in pots today, so hopefully that will feed my hunger for awhile wink

Thanks, Weezie! wavey

#121813 June 20th, 2005 at 10:29 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Sometimes Im in a little bit of a denial because I wanna garden everything LOL
Absolutely nothing wrong with that!!!
I learned the hard way, I guess....

The other thing is when the layering in the
composting lasgna style, it's also in a decomposing process which in turn would steal
nitrogen from your plants, as it decays, it uses this and steals it from the plants..

so, it's not ideal growing conditions..

but do the pots and such like I said, it does double duty, you get your lasgna stuff to do your work, but get those pot's/containers out and do a little gardening that way......
so you get your gardening out of the way,
and still let the process take place
with out distrubance....

#121814 June 20th, 2005 at 10:56 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for not letting me learn the hard way! (It's nice for a change lol!) I didn't think about the nitrogen stealing thing...makes sense that wouldn't be good for starting stuff in. Hey, I can be happy with composting and pot-gardening for now (hope I can hang on to that attitude all summer!) Soon it'll be too hot to do anything but water in the morning, so I think that'll help me 'stay on task' with my lasagna!

Link Copied to Clipboard