This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#121744 June 11th, 2004 at 06:15 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm here looking to see how you composters all sift your compost.I'm on my 5th 5 gallon bucket of hand sifted compost& out sprinkleing it on my plants& beds.....
I'm just here catching up some and searching out some.
once them clouds pass I'm gonna catch me some sun for an hour in the pool.

#121745 June 12th, 2004 at 04:30 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
COMPOST, DID SOMEBODY SAY COMPOST?????

I have a wheelbarrow, and I have a very old
hand made wooden with metal mesh compost sifter...
It's the length and width, pretty much of the wheelbarrow, sit's right in side and I dump in the fresh compost right on top and then sift, sift, sift all by hand......

I am on my 7th FULL wheelbarrow full...
(only 4 more bins to go!!! Yay!!!)

I have the wheelbarrow filled with it right now and a big 73 Qt. storage bin filled to the rim with it right now..

And another wheelbarrow a 1/3 of each with compost, potting soil and vermiculite, for potting up plants and seeds!!!!

I in compost heaven grinnnn ...

Allllllllllllllllthough, I could have designed a few other's device's for my husband and father~in~law to make, but, it's on the list of things to do!!!!

Weezie...

#121746 June 12th, 2004 at 05:32 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
I sift my compost with my soil sifter. My wagon garden or wheelbarrow fit right under the screen.
(I've sifted and used a cu.yd. of compost from my bins with it since March.)

#121747 June 17th, 2004 at 06:07 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I like the screen bill and the angle.I've now used up mosyt my compost(so sad...have to wait for more to generate)I guess I need to collect others weeds and such to make more huh.I found a site that had compost sifters but yours has better size.I'm sure my cuz has thought i'd lost my mind.she lives galveston and asked her when came to visit to load up all her 5 gal buckets with seaweed for me.I told her was for compost pile and was my roses request.

#121748 June 17th, 2004 at 06:24 AM
That's a really cool sifter! I'm so in the stone age, I never thought of something like that. I don't have a tiller, so I get out on my hands & knees & dig up my soil & pull all the grass roots & stuff out by hand! I just showed your sifter to my husband & it's next on the list for him to construct!

Also, my compost pile is in such bad shape eek I have a 2 year old...so, when I got pregnant, I didn't work in the yard as much. This is my first year back in my yard, full force & I'm finding elephant ears, canna lilies & poison ivy growing in my compost. Gonna take a little work to get it back (I'm very alergic to poison ivy).

Great idea on that sifter!

Link Copied to Clipboard