This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12159 November 11th, 2002 at 03:52 AM
F
Flabama Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I just purchased a home that has about 30 banana trees. The previous owner distributed them to the neighbors. There are so many that they are pushing the fence down. There are also snakes that have made the clusters of growth their home. I have dealt with this before at another home. I hade a machete and cut them down and then dug them out by the roots. Very labor intensive. Does anyone know an easier way to get rid of them????? I have been told salt, kerosene ???? It does not freeze long enough here to kill them back and I would rather have some pretty hibiscus in my small yard. Any advise welcome.......help save a back! :rolleyes:

#12160 January 9th, 2003 at 08:20 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Anything to save a back! wink After you have cut down all those Banana trees, bore holes at a slanting angle around the trunk. They should be about 8-10 inches deep and 1 1/2 inches wide. Fill them with commercial stump killer or salt peter (nitrate of potash). Then pour hot water into the holes. This will dissolve the chemical and allow the tree to circulate it down through the roots. Continue to add water until all the stump killer is gone. Once there is no more life, you can choose to remove the roots or let them decompose in the ground.

Good luck
Barb

barbsblooms@shaw.ca

Link Copied to Clipboard