This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#121266 August 20th, 2005 at 04:04 AM
Oops! I forgot to ask my questions. In the bush on my property, the kids were riding quads and wore out a few paths in there. When I saw it, it looked like rich black earth and I thought BONUS! Free healthy soil! But it's not that. I dug a bunch out and it's more like peat moss. It's from natural composting I think. It's packed pretty tight but when I break it up, it's really just like peat moss. Would that be something good to throw in my compost heap?

I'm sure it would be good to put right in my flower beds as is, but I wondered if that would be considered 'browns' because I need more of that in my compost anyway.

Also, last week I put some homemade slug traps in my flowerbeds with some beer in them. Well, I didn't bother checking them during all that rain, but when I looked today, I think I caught about 50 or more drunken dead slugs in them! shk Very Gross! But my question is, can I dump them, beer and all, into the compost? lol. (Hope that's not a dumb question. lala ) I just don't want to walk too far with them and I can almost heave them over there. lol

Just thought I'd ask.

#121267 August 21st, 2005 at 12:00 AM
But my question is, can I dump them, beer and all, into the compost?
ABSOLUTELY! Beer is awesome for compost, as are bug guts (yum!) so dump away wink

Sorry I haven't been around much - been very busy working lately - and will need to keep this short. Feel free to email me if you have questions about composting - I keep my email up all day and since business and personal are both right there...well, I sneak a peak at the personal every once in a while wink laugh

Okay...lemme see...Karrie, sounds like the only option you MIGHT have is putting up a compost bin that will keep the compost contained and looking neat. I don't know if they're that picky that you couldn't even do that much. There are kitchen vermicomposting units you can get, and keep in your kitchen. That'd be a great way to get rid of your kitchen scraps and get a little compost (even if it's not as much as an outside bin)

That's awful that people can complain about something like this. I understand not wanting to see rusty old cars and tires all over the place, but a compost shouldn't be a problem. I would think it's people who take pride in their yards that build them in the first place. I guess I'm pretty lucky I don't have that problem
Here, here! Seems like taking care of our environment should be more of a concern than having a misplaced trash can...glad my town isn't picky about that either. Sorry you have to deal with that Karrie.

Suzie, I'm not sure what you found - could the previous owners have put down peat moss? Don't know how long you've been at that house...I don't think peat moss ever really breaks down, though I could be very wrong about that. It's kind of a mystery to me - I don't care to use it for anything but starting cuttings - and thats only because I bought a bag of it before
I had a clue what I was doing laugh I do know it's a pain to get it to soak up water - I'm just not sure how it would go in a compost heap. May be longy or weezie will be along and can clear that up.

Great questions! thumbup

#121268 August 21st, 2005 at 12:58 AM
Beer is awesome for compost, as are bug guts (yum!) so dump away
You are funny, Mary!! laugh Those slugs really creep me out and I couldn't believe I got so many! EEWWWWWW!!! lol. I thought it would only be fair to throw them in, since they annihilated my delphiniums this year frown This way they can give something back for next year.

That peat moss was actually a natural pond bottom ever since I don't know when, but then our water table went way down about four years ago and it's only moist in there now. There is a lot of accumulated natural decay down there from fallen trees and leaves. So at the very least, I believe I have really healthy peat moss, and it's free. thumbup

Thanks for your answers and I hope you have a great weekend!

~Suzy~

#121269 August 21st, 2005 at 08:56 AM
I got ahold of a huge thick white barrel, I am gonna have to have hubby cut an openingo in the side of it and put it on stakes in the ground. Right outside the kitchen door. Now I just need to figure out how to keep the opening on the side shut when rolling it. Any suggestions? Hubby seems to think that a slide lock on each end will do. hinge the back of it and put 3 of those little slide locks on it both ends and on the middle of the front of it.

#121270 August 21st, 2005 at 08:56 AM
Oh yeah guys will straw or hay work for my brown?
or do you think it will seed?

#121271 August 21st, 2005 at 10:48 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
If you get the temperature up to 140 you won't have to worry about seeds. I think that's the way it goes. But Weezie, Longy or Mary will know better than I do.

#121272 August 21st, 2005 at 09:26 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Woohoo I just got a load of green dropped off by the landlord. So I turned the compost pile and then layered in the green stuff. That'll finish off those newspapers I bet. Plus all the leaves I'll add during the next two weeks woohoo. I took two buckets of the finished compost to the future columbine bed. That is going to be so cool next spring with all the different colors. Off topic sorry. Have a great day everyone.

#121273 August 22nd, 2005 at 03:18 AM
I just got an answer to my question regarding peat moss in my paper today so I thought I'd pass it on. In the gardening column the writer says, "Add peat moss and sawdust if greens from gardens and grass clippings are piling up."

That's great news for me since I have an unlimited supply of peat moss here! I already have it dried out so I'll just break it up really good before I mix it in.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if the composting action continues throughout the winter? It gets pretty cold up here so I wasn't really planning on doing much with the compost once the temp drops. I was thinking of maybe putting some straw bales around the outside of it to insulate it from the cold a bit though. Would that be worthwhile to do?

#121274 August 23rd, 2005 at 02:52 AM
Howdy! Sorry I haven't been able to check in - been running like a chicken without a head these days.

Karrie - I'm go glad you found a way to compost! I think the barrel will work perfectly - and yep, it sounds like the door locks will hold it closed when turning it. It might be easier if you could toss stuff in from the top, though, and turn it with an auger type dealio, rake, stick, etc. This way you wouldn't have to roll the whole heavy barrel just to mix it. Just a thought.

TK How exciting for you with all your compostables smile I wish I had stuff brought to me laugh I just came in from lopping off overgrown weeds out in the 'bog'. What fun! (not!) I dumped all my cuts over top of where the soil is uneven out there, and figure I'll leave it to break down in place. The weeping willow is going to love that soil down there!

SuzieQ thats great news about your peat! Especially because it's a challenge to find browns in the summer for most. This fall I plan on shredding all the leaves I can get my hands on, and storing it in plastic garbage bags for next summer.

Composting can continue through winter - it depends on the size of your heap - to reach the hot zone, you want your heap to be about 3'x3' - less will more than likely freeze, especially in Alberta! Straw bales will definitely help to insulate - the more you insulate and the closer to 3'x3' you have your heap, the better chance ya have at it not freezing. Great thing about that is, once winter is over, you can then use your straw bales for composting (or planting tomatoes in!)

Oh, seeds - recently I did something dopey - not like THAT's a rare occurrence laugh I put watermelon seeds in my compost heap. I know I get my heap hot - very hot - but I did have some seeds sprout in the compost. I don't mind having things pop up in the even that a few weed seeds don't get cooked from the hay I've used, since it'll be much easier for me to pull weed seedlings from amended soil anyway...Chances are you'll have volunteer weeds pop up no matter what you do, if you have birds or bare soil.

Whew! That was a lot of blabbing gab laugh

Happy composting!

#121275 August 23rd, 2005 at 09:24 AM
hey everybody! I just wanted to say that it sounds like ya'll have everything on a roll and thanks for all the great info! and guess what? I've been wanting to make a compost bin and my dad FINALLY bought me some pallets from work today YAY!!!!!!!!!

#121276 August 23rd, 2005 at 09:25 PM
Yay Jamie! wink Here's mine-

[Linked Image]

All I did was nail the top corners and bottom corners. I didn't get crazy and screw it together because it'll eventually break down too.

My last freight delivery guy didn't have any extra pallets, but I'm hoping to get another 3, so I can make a complete 3 bin system. Right now the compost goes from inside the bin, to the right of the bin, to the right of that laugh I'd like to get it all contained eventually wink

thumbup

#121277 August 24th, 2005 at 12:03 AM
OP Offline
Ok so now I've heard a couple different things on when to turn your compost. Would that be every few days or only 2 times a month? my bin is small so.. Duh

#121278 August 24th, 2005 at 05:14 AM
You want to turn it to keep it aerated since piling stuff on will start packing it down. The other reason for turning a pile is to work the dry cool stuff on the outside of the pile to the inside, turn the bottom stuff to the top, etc.

You can also let it all sit and don't need to turn it at all - but it will take that much longer to break down - so it's really up to you wink I would probably be turning it once a week if that were my bin - hard for me to say though, since I've been building larger, open heaps instead of smaller contained heaps. I would take TK's suggestion on turn time - her compost bin is closer in size to yours than mine.

Isn't it fun thinking about all the stuff you used to throw away that now you can toss in the bin? wink

#121279 August 24th, 2005 at 09:32 PM
OP Offline
I think I will turn maybe once a week. Ok so now those of you with containers...do you have a problem with any animals tryin to geting into your bin? I think I have a cat or coon trying to get into mine. My bin isn't really heavy because I dont have too much in it at the moment. When I come out to my backyard in the morning my bin is off the bricks I set it on and knocked over. My bin doesn't smell. I mean the compost has an odor but it's not a rank or foul odor that you can smell from a distance..then again I suppose animals have better sense of smell than we do. Sheesh..guess I'm gonna have to put up with the menacing animal that keeps knocking my bin *L*

#121280 August 25th, 2005 at 10:20 PM
Since mine is out in the open, and we have 'free roaming critters' of all kinds here, I never leave the outside (top) layer green. In other words, if I have greens on top, I mix it under a bit, or toss some soil or finished compost on top. That deters the critters. course ya might just have an ornery kitty that wants to perch on top of your bin 'just because' laugh

#121281 August 25th, 2005 at 11:37 PM
OP Offline
Yeah Mary I think yer right..It's probably just a kitty because we have ALOT around here. Although we have been known to have some coons now and then. BIG ones for the city, musta got fat off kitty nibble *L*

I had already turned my compost so I'm thinking a cat just took his leisurely nap on the bin and when he jumped off onto the fence he knocked it over..like I said my bin isn't too full yet and being plastic is pretty light still.

#121282 August 26th, 2005 at 11:26 AM
BIG ones for the city, musta got fat off kitty nibble *L*
Or, KITTY! laugh that was mean, and gross, but possible!

probably a kitty nap wink I know mine take every opportunity they can to jump on something I don't want them to!

#121283 August 26th, 2005 at 06:57 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
If your bin is sitting on dirt a couple of stakes in the ground could provide all the stablizing you need. Use more brown and you won't smell anything at all. My container has stayed pretty much full since I started and it is anything but light lol. So, I haven't had any problem with it being tipped over. It weighs a ton and takes max effort for me to tip it over and I weigh in at over 200 pounds.

#121284 August 27th, 2005 at 12:46 AM
Do you all think container compost bins will work durning the winter months? I will keep mine in a storage are that is undercover but is more like a tent then shed ----Yeah the brains on our POA havent said diddly squat about it, told them it was for our dirtbikes - which was a big fat lie, but hey I needed storage for toys. lol its the portable garage type thingys. Anyway before I start to babble (oh darn too late). What do you think will it get and stay warm enough to bother with or should I start fresh next spring?

#121285 August 27th, 2005 at 01:38 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Karrie you just let your compost sit over the winter it will dethaw in the spring and go right back to decomposing. You don't need to do anything to it in the winter except leave it alone from what I understand from reading Weezies stuff.

I mean for me the purpose of composting is so that I'm not paying an arm and a leg for potting soil and top soil for my little garden. So if composting starts getting expensive then it defeats the purpose. For me if I get a bin full once every three months for 9 months out of the year I'm going to get all I need. And since I'm on a slope with a crumbling retaining wall I certainly don't want to much up there lol.

Enjoy your garden.

#121286 August 27th, 2005 at 11:03 AM
Hi,

I have been thinking of starting a compost bin also, but, wonder, what do I do with it in the winter, it stays cold here in Maine for a while.
Thanks,
Stacy

#121287 August 28th, 2005 at 02:43 AM
Yeah, Stacy! thumbup smile

Remember the right mix will generate heat from within, so that will keep it cooking throughout the winter. If not, the worst that can happen is you've got a frozen pile that you keep adding to, and have to wait for it to thaw out in spring. Then adding some new stuff to it will get it working again.

Besides, chances are if ya get started now, you'll have a finished heap before the first frost, no matter where you are wink It takes me about a month from start to finish - if I don't really tend to it, it takes about 45 days.

#121288 August 28th, 2005 at 04:44 AM
Boy! Do I ever have a bunch of BIG LONG FAT WORMS setting up house in my compost! They must be eating really well in there! I can't help it but these large ones give me the willies. lol. So I just cover them back up real quick when I see them.

Since my compost is just a pile right now, I'm heading out to pick up some straw bales to surround it and hopefully insulate it over the winter. I was thinking I'd put a sheet of wood over the top to keep snow out, and it would be something I can lift to keep tossing in kitchen scraps. I really hope it keeps cooking over the winter, but I'll have to let you know down the road if this little experiment works in my -30C weather conditions.

I don't know if I put too much soil in there when I started with those grass clumps at the beginning. It's hard to tell because I also added a bag of composted manure and then have been adding browns and greens for over a month now. Maybe it's just breaking down, but it seems more like soil to me. It that normal by any chance?

Mary, when you say it takes up to 45 days for your compost, I was wondering if you make up a large enough pile, and then you don't add anything more until it's done? I've been adding all along with hopes of having as much compost as possible for next year.

Hope you are all enjoying your weekend!

~Suzy~

#121289 August 28th, 2005 at 07:45 AM
BIG LONG FAT WORMS
You lucky duck! wink that's awesome - worm castings (poopy laugh ) is an awesome fertilizer.

these large ones give me the willies
laugh Don't feel bad - I've been trying all summer to 'make friends with the bugs'. I was born & raised in NYC - so I'm far from a natural country girl...lots of 'adjusting' going on here - I cover em up too!

Now I'm gonna get tricky on ya, though, about your compost. Since you have worms, that tells me that either your pile hasn't heated up, or has already cooled down - worms can't live in the extreme temps of a hot pile. But it's not a bad thing if it hasn't/doesn't heat up! It's just a different type of composting. You definitely don't want to add any kind of seeds (or weeds) to that kind of compost heap though. If it doesn't heat up enough to cook the cr*p out of the stuff, you'll be planting them when you spread your compost.

The 'look' you're aiming for with the compost (ie., when you know it's 'done') is almost like clumpy wet coffee grounds. A rich, black, fairly light, crumbly black soil - kind of like potting soil you buy in a bag, only nicer. Absolutely normal to look like soil - that's really what you're making wink

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I just went out to take these pics -- you can kinda get the idea - I took this handful from the ground where a compost pile was (before I used it). You can still see little bits of unfinished compost - some people screen it to separate it, I just haven't had the time to get that far yet. In the second picture, you can see where I put my trowel ("digger" LOL!) into the ground - I barely had to push on it to get it completely in the ground - before the compost heap, this area was solid clay. Impressive!

I have a fairly big yard. Right now I have 2 3'x3' heaps going, and will be starting another one in about a week. I have lots of stuff to compost, and the luxury of being able to have big heaps in my yard! I lucked out because I have a slope downwards toward my yard from the alley, so I put my heaps along and at the bottom of that slope. I've got enough room for about 15 heaps if I wanted (and could convince my better half to let me!) laugh But to answer your question, yes, I stop adding to the pile once it's gotten big enough for me. I aim for the 3x3 size and then start a new pile.

Hope that's helped!
Happy composting! wink

#121290 August 28th, 2005 at 07:58 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
The other thing about composting without the heat from what I understand, and I'm a beginner, is that it takes longer to breakdown.

Mary you may have already said that but by the time I got to the end of your post I couldn't remember if you did so I thought I would add it. Have a great day.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard