This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#120590 August 10th, 2005 at 12:57 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
the new brecks catalog just arrived I am so drooling over everything especially the crown imperials. But truth to tell the list of ones I want would probably include at least 50 percent of everything in the book. And I'm not to sure any of them are drought tolerant. And the tulips didn't make it from the last shippment. I don't think I planted them right. Well maybe I could find just 25.00 dollars of things? I could try? Right like I'd stop at 25.00 lol.

#120591 August 10th, 2005 at 02:42 AM
T - treat yourself - think about all that cigarette money you're saving. Find the money and do it! For me, well, I so totally want the crown imperials - but geesh, they're SO expensive! I forgot how much they were in the last catalogue I got, but it was like I dunno $10 per bulb/corm or something rediculous

#120592 August 10th, 2005 at 03:45 AM
I agree, with all the money you are saving in cigs, you deserve something special for you! If you had smoked a pack a day then that is $25 in a week right there you are saving!

#120593 August 10th, 2005 at 04:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I got my new Brecks catalog today too Tammy...Buy 25 dollars worth of stuff, get 25 dollars worth for free....I was also drooling over the Crown Imperials....I also wouldn't mind a few of the giant Alliums, some of the parrot tulips, and some of the double pink daffodils.....*sighs* Yep, not too hard to rack up a big order fast!

#120594 August 10th, 2005 at 05:20 AM
I was just looking through it and the Mighigan bulb company. I am going to order from both I think. I like the beck's 25 dollar discount and the michigan bulb company has a 20 dollar one on it. I was wondering if you all have any experience with eithor of these companys and their plants. I ordered some mail plants earlier this year and was not pleased wth what I received at all.

#120595 August 10th, 2005 at 07:28 AM
Ha Ha I just ordered but I want more still I am thinking about calling and getting the double daffodil collection......They are georgeous. I got the donald duck tulip and the monsella tulip. Man I just gotta have some of those orange and yellow daffodils though they are breath takeing ( my favoreit color is orange and yellow)

#120596 August 10th, 2005 at 09:01 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I know what we have to do. We have to find out how the crown imperials propogate and work from there. Then each of use could get one color and send the seeds, divisions to the others in the group until we all had all the colors. What do you think is that an idea? Well I'm going to go see what I can find out about them. like their scientific name so I can look on the seed site. I love that site. I wish she had more species on it though.

And did anyone pay attention to the sparkler allium mix on the back page? I want I want I want lol. I am so bad.

#120597 August 10th, 2005 at 09:12 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well fudge no crown imperials for me. They like soil that retains moisture all year round. And the smell is suppose to be unpleasant. Guess it was a good thing that they were to expensive to buy without looking up information on them. Of course that just means I can concentrate on the nine thousand other plants I think I might like to have lol.

Anyone know anything about the red carpet border lilies? They look like they would be just charming on my second tier.

#120598 August 10th, 2005 at 09:38 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Tammy,
Well fudge no crown imperials for me. They like soil that retains moisture all year round.
Anything that likes those requirements
can be put into a container, ***I used an old
kiddie swimming pool, that had been split and
cracked..*** and filled with a bag of PEAT MOSS,
and some compost and some regular garden soil
or bagged.... and mixed up good..
WATER, WATER, WATER, until the peat moss is soaked
up all that water... water for like 3~5 days straight, flood it, and wait, flood it then wait..
It takes a long time to get peat moss to the saturation point and keep it slightly moist
depending on the container and it's water holding abilities..

But that should work for those types of plants
that like a moist rich environment...

#120599 August 10th, 2005 at 09:42 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
AND OH MY GOSH, I FORGOT TO SAY THE
SAME MESSAGE AS THE GIRLS SAID BEFORE,
THINK OF ALLLLLLLLLLLL THAT CIGGY BUTT $$$
YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEND..
WHAT A BONUS FOR A JOB WELL DONE!!!!!

#120600 August 10th, 2005 at 11:36 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
You tempt me Weezie you really do. But there are so many other pretty plants that are drought tolerant that I would also love that I think that is the way I'm going to direct my energies. I just got the new springhill catalog and they have the varigated weigela and the carnaval weigela and i'm not allowed to plant bushes whaaaaaaaaaaa. So does anyone know what the 2nd little picture is beside each description it looks like a trapizoid with a number in it? I can't find the key. It's probably right in front of me I just can't see it.

#120601 August 11th, 2005 at 01:14 PM
Okay I'm feeling so left out. No springhill, no michigan, no brecks (well that one's my fault - I wasn't signed up - but fixing that now LOL) Any others I should sign up for? I just want a bunch of catalogues for the pictures laugh

#120602 August 11th, 2005 at 04:26 PM
Meg Offline
pssst, Mary.. Gardens Alive. (they are kinda like the parent company of just about ALL of these other catalogs. get that one, and then you'll surely start getting all the others!)

Even if you don't want all the organic goodness from them.. it's a cool thing, they usually have a "bug guide" inside.

Meg

#120603 August 11th, 2005 at 06:31 PM
O.K. so a pack a day is $25 a week? Here in NB a pack of cigarettes is $10.30. so a weeks worth is $72.10. That'll make anybody quit.

#120604 August 11th, 2005 at 07:17 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
*Quit Tamara, Quit Tamara, Quit Tamara,
Subliminal Messages.......

*Mary, if you do a search of the ARCHIVES somewhere's propbably in Gardener's Chat,
there should be some books I posted for sign up.

If not, let me know I'll send you a list...

#120605 August 11th, 2005 at 08:12 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I used to spend about 100 per month on cigarettes and that's using the discount on-line stores lol. But due to the state of Virginia's balanced budget policy they will be taking that hundred and probably a little more this summer because they have run out of funds for the cooling assistance program. Shucks. So although I will definitely see the advantage of not smoking monetarially soon it won't be right now lol.

#120606 August 11th, 2005 at 08:42 PM
That stinks TK. Sorry to hear it but a big pat on the back for a job well done. That is not easy. I used to work as a social worker they never put enough funds in to those heating and cooling assistance programs. We were always fighting with them for our folks

Link Copied to Clipboard