This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#119827 December 26th, 2005 at 09:41 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
by popular demand do you remember the "Good ole Day)ie: 40's,50's,60's? Like Square Dances,Glenn Miller and the big Bands. Roy Rogers and Trigger, Gene Autry and Champion. Amos and Andy,My Little Marjie, Dragnet, Cisco Kid, Only the Shadow knows on the radio as well as a bunch others.
Tell us what you remember when. I know I'm not the only old codger here.
Jimmy

#119828 December 26th, 2005 at 10:09 AM
Other than what you mentioned?

Lassie

I Remember Mama

My brother and The Howdy Doody Show

Davey Crocket

I remember seeing Titanic - the one where Robert Wagner plays a young teen.

George Formby movies - my mother used to take me to them - I didn't like them - too noisy and they scared me.

The Honeymooners

Country Hoedown (a Toronto CBC show)

#119829 December 26th, 2005 at 10:10 AM
Is the clock out of order? How could you have posted on the 26th if you're Texas?

#119830 December 26th, 2005 at 10:19 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
It must be still 25th here as for as I know. laugh When we got TV only station we could get was Juarez Mexico and on cloudy days a station out of Omaha so we still listened to the Radio the most. I still listen more then I watch. Got to see Eddy Arnold and Jimmy Wakely at a fair one time for $1.00 admission adults paid $1.25. Hershey bars were two for a nickel.Coke or Pepsi or my favorite Delaware Punch was nickel. Me and my girl friend got in the picture show for a dime. After we were grown and had kids cost us a quarter to get in. Popcorn big box was dime.
Jimmy

#119831 December 26th, 2005 at 10:52 AM
Kaptain Kangaroo

twisting with Dick Clark on American Bandstand

5 cent chocolate dips at the Dairy Queen

My Friend Flicka

Fury

Davy and Goliath on Boomtown

Patty Play Pals

Saddle shoes

Wearing dresses to school even when the temperature hit zero

And mini-skirts the first time around

#119832 December 26th, 2005 at 11:07 AM
Rolling my skirt up AFTER my mom left for work, before school. Never was allowed to wear pants at school. They started letting the girls wear pants the year after I graduated.

Had to be 21 to vote.

Original Mickey Mouse club. "M - I - C , see ya real soon....." ( the big boys really LIKED Annette and it was years before I understood why.

Dick and Jane readers, "See spot run..."
~Tina

#119833 December 26th, 2005 at 11:24 AM
Hey Tina - the girl who was Doreen on the Mickey Mouse club was a counselor at my summer sleepaway camp!

Bev - you listed a bunch of things that I was talking about. Did you see where I posted a picture of Patti Play Pal in the CH?

#119834 December 26th, 2005 at 11:30 AM
I'm having a great time listening to you all reminisce! This is a great thread.

Pack of Marlboro's was 55 cents when I started smoking.........

could go to the candy store and stuff full a lunch paper bag with candy for less than $1.....

Dad had a station wagon with the wooden sides...

telephones were only black and man o man were they heavy, rotary dial, and only had to dial four digits.....................

#119835 December 26th, 2005 at 11:35 AM
We had a rotary phone in our basement when we moved into this house 12 years ago - it was an old one from my parents. One of Brian's friends needed to call home - they were 10 - and he couldn't for the life of him figure out how to use it! laugh

How about when phone numbers had the first 3 letters instead of numbers? And there weren't any area codes???

#119836 December 26th, 2005 at 11:46 AM
And we always had a party line. There were three or four households per line. If you picked up your phone you listened first to make sure it was clear before dialing.
We still have a rotary phone. It still works so no need to change it out.
~Tina

#119837 December 26th, 2005 at 11:49 AM
We never had a party line on the phone, but want to hear something creepy? When we lived in an apartment on the other side of town here, we would pick up other's phone call conversations on our baby monitor. We didn't want to have to stop using the monitor, but it was weird listening to one guy in particular calling his female friends - ewwwwww!

#119838 December 26th, 2005 at 11:56 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Yes, I do remember the Good Ol' Days.

#119839 December 26th, 2005 at 12:19 PM
THREE numbers?! I remember 5 numbers... ours, in Billings, Mont. when I was growing up, was 77886...AND, we had a "party line"! (Woa... the stories THERE!!) 411 was information... (411 is still referred to as as short-cut for "info", I see) ...& it didn't cost! You could sit there for as long as you wanted, firing off names & getting people's numbers AND their addresses! Duh For some odd reason, listening to the radio involved being able to sit in front of it... the whole family gathered in a half-circle as though they were sitting in front of a fireplace, staring at the speaker! [Linked Image] (I really think that's why I like "The Waltons" so much... Now, THOSE PEOPLE knew how to listen to the radio!)

Remember your FIRST radio Jimmy? Was it a crystal set? (I'll bet these KIDS don't even know what that is!!) laugh laugh laugh

#119840 December 26th, 2005 at 01:26 PM
Oh wow....
I remember most of those things too- and the radio shows- used to listen in Juneau while doing dishes after dinner.... and it was a quarter to get in the movie- double feature- news reels- a serial and cartoons!
I remember the scratchy nylon net slips too- and wearing jeans and tights under to school in 50 below weather- raised in Alaska- had to take off the jeans when we got there too-
I had one of the Patty Playpals too- and one of the first Barbies too- never played with them - was a tom boy --- sure wish I kept them- don't think the Barbie came out of the box....
I remember hula hoops when they first came out and slinkys..... and the first ovens that cooked with lightbulbs.... toy ironing boards.... I had a tiny tears doll that came in a suitcase with drawers and hangers for her clothes-- got her when I was 5- and a record player too that yr- played 45's.... and 33's - I still have records and a player now..... we used to drink cream soda out of brown bottles - was so good and only cost a dime..... I remember having to relearn the pledge too- 2nd grade or so- and we used to sing My Country Tis of Thee every morning too after reciting the pledge-
I had a crystal set too and one of the first transistors too- was huge - my grandson just got an MP3 player the size of a credit card ----
I remember Romper Room and being a do bee- and Captain Kangaroo - Mr Greenjeans and the Moose....and Rabbit too-
Nana

#119841 December 26th, 2005 at 01:33 PM
the dick van dyke show

the millionaire

burke s law

do you remember old movies, my hubby,among other things gave me the whole collection of the thin man.

#119842 December 26th, 2005 at 06:37 PM
GUMBY! [Linked Image] I just loved this guy! (& his horse, Pokey!)

Pant Stretchers! [Linked Image]
I can't imagine where mine went! I know I'd NEVER have given them away, so I guess they were probably lost in our house fire, 20 years ago. Hubby was a fork lift driver back then, so he wore jeans to work. A college degree in Business/Production management & a few smart career path decisions later, he now finds himself wearing slacks on the job... & I find myself at the ironing board! (Just the place NOT to be, in the summer... I'd rather be WEEDING!) Back then, when I used Pant Stretchers for his Sunday pants, they required little or no ironing afterward... Oh, what I'd give to have them now, but they just don't make them anymore! [Linked Image] (WHY?)

#119843 December 26th, 2005 at 07:01 PM
You paid 8 cents for a Comic book & 3 cents for a postage stamp! ...And, stores were closed on Sundays!

#119844 December 26th, 2005 at 10:28 PM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
All you youngsters a lot of that was after I was married that you talk about. Yes I had a crystal set and loved it. The best Christmas or at least the most vived I got a hand carved car and trailer my Grandad carved and a Glass Boat full of all sorts of small candy pellets my Grandmother on the other side gave me. Think them old glass boats must still be at the old house somewhere. Talk about side walks we went out to the Army Air base to skate after it was closed in 1948 or 49. Didn't know about Dairy Queen until around 1955. Got to see a drive in picture show (where not called movies back then) in Amarillo which to us was a big city back then. Bear in mind in my part of New Mexico they closed schools in Dunlap,Yeso,Taiban,Recardo and all the kids rode buses some of them left home art 4 and rode horses to the road and when it rained had to ride to a pavement. All got home after dark which mean they didn't have to milk or slope the hogs or gather eggs. Fort Sumner now is the only town left in DeBaca county. Skating rink came through town once in spring after school was out then right before school started in September. It was under a tent had wooden floors trhey could make them raise or lower to enhance the skating. Our phone was 91NJ my best friend Max Neely was on our party line we would tie up the line forever. His dad owned a mechanic shop I hung around there when I wasn't working. My first pack of Ready made cigaretts cost 25 cents. Prince Albert tobacco was 8 cents and came with rolling papers. dukes and Bull Duham was 2 pouch's for a nickel and came with paper's if you needed more papers it cost you 2 cents.I worked on fasrms for $10.00 a week we got to go to town on Saturday and nobody worked on Sunday all stores were closed and most people went to the church of their choice. Back in the 40's and 50's kids were raised in the church and prayers were said in school and before ball games and Rodeos' which the latter was our main entertainment . Roping's and bronc.Bull riding was held at a different farm or ranch every sunday after church. I wne to school with Cotton Lea's girls ( he was a world famous roper in the 40 and 50's) I didn't know he was famous met Jim shoulders (another world famous cowboy a bullrider) Got to see Roy Rogers free in Parades his frist wife came from Roswell about 84 miles south of us in state road 20 think that road is still narrow and probably hasn't been paved in years.
Jimmy

#119845 December 27th, 2005 at 03:35 AM
Lynne - what is CH? I tried to find it but got distracted by my adult ADD and ended up in hobbies.

I was on Bozo the clown in Boston once when I was 7 and it was the highlight of my early years, was very disillusioned when I saw the collapsed sets for other shows like Romper Room. Couldn't understand how that great big room could fit in such a small space.

#119846 December 27th, 2005 at 04:07 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Macrame dresses, empire style with matching purses. Pale pink lipstick and blue eyeshadow and pasley print pants for the guys lol. And the leather jackets with all the fring on them. And go go boots. Can't forget the go go boots.

#119847 December 27th, 2005 at 06:02 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
by Tammy
pasley print pants for the guys lol
Tammy where I was from guys wouldn't be caught dead in that getup or they just laugh might wind up dead their dad would have hanged or shot them. Gogo boots and Min-Skirts were well after I was married and had kids. When I was 20 I was manager of a small 30,000 acre ranch near Gayheart valley for $100. a month plus all the meat,milk and eggs we could use. House was furnished big old Adobe house around 100 years old living room was a good 40foot square where they use to hold dances in the western days. Tammy come to think about it those pants would not have gone good with boots and horses and ranch tools at all. laugh laugh Bull would probably gore you in that getup.
Jimmy

#119848 December 27th, 2005 at 06:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
patty, you can get the pants stretchers still, i just don't remember where i saw them. but, when i do, i'll let you know! (yes, i remember them too.

#119849 December 27th, 2005 at 09:42 PM
Bev - CH is Coffee House

#119850 December 27th, 2005 at 09:50 PM
I've never felt so young in all my life, I don't know what over half this stuff is. Maybe I'm not young but stupid.lol. I remember being young and getting spanked for running my hands in my moms beehive hairdoo, I remember her cork shoes and skanky dresses also. She used to dress like a go go dancer. I remember tupperware parties, chinese slippers and macrame being the in craft.

Link Copied to Clipboard