This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#119801 June 9th, 2005 at 05:40 PM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
I've found 2 Hummingbird nests in my garden, but I can't get to them to take photos without disturbing them, so I'll just have to be happy with seeing someone else's Baby Hummingbirds!

#119802 June 9th, 2005 at 07:09 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
My son, Kevin found a hummingbird nest yesterday in my weeping birch.... an arm's reach overhead in the front walkway. I took some photo's this morning but I have to wait for my daughter to see if they are any good....if not I will try and take more.....new to this camera so not sure what I got. Momma will sit on the nest even as we walk by if we are real quiet and don't make any quick moves. I just love those little itty bitty nests. cool

#119803 June 9th, 2005 at 09:22 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Oh, MAN! That is so neat!
Catlover, I sure hope you get some good pics!
I can't wait to see them!!!
(I'm way too excited right now!)

I'm gonna go out after this little shower has passed and look for a nest. Surely with all these hummingbirds here I have a nest somewhere. I hope so! grinnnn

Cindy Faye

#119804 June 10th, 2005 at 05:18 PM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
Most my hummers seem to nest in the juniper hedge I have growing along the driveway. It isn't real friendly to nest searchers. I leave the hedge for the birds anyway....otherwise I would tear the ugly thing out. I can hardly wait to see your pics Catlover.

#119805 June 11th, 2005 at 12:11 PM
These photos are great. I have only heard about the tiny nests but have never seen one. I have been feeding a few of these little ones but in the recent 10 days the activity has dramatically dropped off. Can anyone recommend a suggestion? How about the food mixture? Is there a homemade recipe for food that works?

#119806 June 11th, 2005 at 05:37 PM
MAKEING HUMMINGBIRD NECTAR

Hummingbird nectar is 4 parts water to one part white granulated sugar. Dissolve the sugar in hot water stir to mix thoroughly and let cool and pour into a hummingbird feeder. You don't need to use all of the solution at one time. the rest can be refrigerated. Be sure to change the nectar as soon as it starts to get cloudy first washing the feeder with hot soapy water and rinsing it real well.you can add just a few drops of red food coloring if you like i do.but it is not nessasary to add it.hope this helps your friend in gardening.mike57

Link Copied to Clipboard