This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#119625 June 11th, 2005 at 12:30 AM
M
misslis Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'm new to the gardenhelper, so I'm just sayin hi!

I live in a VERY large warehouse loft with seven other artists/musicians/wierdos and we are starting a container garden in our also VERY large mainspace.

I've managed to scavange an old bathtub from our loading dock, we have lots of lumber and tarps to build additional boxes, a rommate works for a coffee shop/cafe and is going to try to aquire additional containers in a variety of sizes. I'm working on making macrame plant hangers for spices to be hung in our 14 foot tall windows. We've also scavanged fence segments that are 9.5 feet tall to grow climbing plants. A friend of mine works for an organic supply company and I will be using an organic soil/compressed coconut hull mixture for planting. There are lots of windows and no central air. We get by with heaters and window units, but will be willing to invest to keep our garden thru the winter. It's a possibility we will be installing and indoor greenhouse so we can monitor the temperatures in the winter months. We also have a tarp on our large fire escape to catch rain water to water our plants.

I am unsure of how to best use all of these awesome resources. I feel like we are starting somewhat late in the year to just begin planting from seeds. I'm going to start off with just the hanging planters and the bathtub.

A roommate has a pumpkin plant with a baby pumpkin on it already and we are going to have that in the bathtub along with tomatoes, egglant, chili peppers and cucumber. That's the plan anyways. I'm interested in any adviece for beginners and suggestions on vegetables/fruits that have vine-growing varieties.

We will have at least four or five of us putting our time/money/energy into this garden, and we are hoping to do a bit of canning our goods as well as freezing so we have a year-round food supply. We are, for the most part, a bunch of very healthy veggies/vegans and we are looking to make the most of this fabulous space!

If posting pictures of the space helps to guide anyone who's willing to provide advice, just lemme know.

#119626 June 11th, 2005 at 01:15 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Oh, misslis...you are living my dream life! wavey

Cindy

#119627 June 11th, 2005 at 03:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

It's nice to meet ya!

Sounds like you have a really awesome place thumbup I'll bet you get lots of veggies grinnnn

#119628 June 11th, 2005 at 08:24 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Would LOVE to see pics of the space! Sounds like you already have some really great ideas and RESOURCES!!! Awesome!
Welcome to the forum...have fun here...we also have artist/musicians/wierdos...mostlty wierdos! (just kidding) Lot's of beginner gardeners with questions and lot's more seasoned gardeners with answers!

Link Copied to Clipboard