This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#119495 June 6th, 2005 at 02:39 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well the ants have been fed so to speak. I went out and empties an entire 5 lb bag of grits all over the weed patch. It made me feel much better since I am a non-smoker now. And yes I'm already getting antsy lol. It can't hurt and maybe this will kill them off. The organic bug killer didn't work worth beans.

#119496 June 6th, 2005 at 02:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
tk, let me know, 'cause i have some old grits and lots of ants, but i was waiting till you tried it 'cause if it doesn't work, the grits go in the compost pile.

#119497 June 6th, 2005 at 02:56 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
I bought a box of grits and spread them out near and on the ant holes once but didn't see any results....I have the argentine ants.....if that makes any difference.

Duh

#119498 June 6th, 2005 at 03:25 AM
Hi Tammy wavey

I must have missed something.Why do you want the ants to leave?Ants are natures clean-up crew.Do you mean fire ants?

btw,that myth about the ants eating the grits and exploding.That's not true,you'll just invite more if you feed them.

#119499 June 6th, 2005 at 04:06 AM
here is some info about the ants and grits myth

http://www.pestproducts.com/grits.htm

sorry,really.I wish it worked.

#119500 June 6th, 2005 at 04:18 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Duckie I use organic cornmeal and this is not a myth it is proven. Also I have used grits on fire ants seemed to help a little but maybe they do't like grits maybe I should try hash browns next time. I have never understood why anyone would take a poor little tater shred it and drown it is pure grease then burn it crisp cover in cheese and bacan bits or onions. Talk about stopped up veins wow. laugh
Jimmy

#119501 June 6th, 2005 at 04:48 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
It is a conspiracy started by potato farmers because they weren't selling enough spuds just for baking. Actually I think the first grease marriage was french fries.....that Kroc (not sure I have the right name) dude and the potato farmers are out to getcha!! laugh

At my old house was an ant hill the equivalent of china. Nothing ever worked to kill them off until I finally called the pest control guy who sprayed them with some kind of poison. I wouldn't have done it but they were biters, bad biters. Not fire ants, just mean little black buggers. On smaller hills I have used a type of stuff that the ants take back to the hill and it desexes the queen or something...takes awhile for it to work though. I never heard of exploding ants and grits. LOL

#119502 June 6th, 2005 at 05:00 AM
Hi Jimmy wavey

heck yes cornmeal is good,i think it's GREAT.

Very high in nitrogen...good fertilizer.And a great fungicide too.

But for fire ants?I don't see how.I think a pot of boiling water would be more effective.

Now, about those hash browns.yummy....with a couple of eggs,please.

Lots of veggies for me,and sometimes (once a week at least)deep fried something.
It's all about balance.You know that anyway dontcha?

luv duckie

#119503 June 6th, 2005 at 05:01 AM
ever try tapioca? Try it if the grits don't work. We did that and the ant hill hasn't been back since. While I don't really mind the ants, there were just tooooooo many of them! Anytime we mowed the lawn, it would disturb the hill and they would come running out and spread across our walkway. It made it really hard to walk through that mess, then you'd track ants into the house from the bottom of your shoes and then they'd be in the house eating stuff!

#119504 June 6th, 2005 at 05:11 AM
hmmmmm.......ants vs chemikills in my home?

I choose ants.

#119505 June 6th, 2005 at 06:28 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
So I wasted my grits? Ouch, I happen to like grits. Well it's the bleach next.

#119506 June 6th, 2005 at 06:31 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
me to Lupe

#119507 June 6th, 2005 at 12:13 PM
Meg Offline
Duckie, you are so sweet on all creatures, aren't ya. wink Personally, I don't like it when I have to throw out boxes of cereal they manage to finagle their way into. Me, I am going to do a thorough cleaning of the kitchen counter area, and empty, and spray. Yes, spray. It usually only takes me 1-2 sprays a year, from the kitchen door, to whereever they end up in my kitchen, and they don't seem to come back inside for the most part, for the rest of the year.

I am trying to be more careful of the stuff I use, really. Even bought my stuff from Garden's Alive this year. But it's gonna take a lot for me to go all organic.

And pass me some of those hash browns! Fry up some onion in them too, and I'll have them with breakfast, lunch, or dinner!! Mmmmmmm.

Roy Kroc was the founder of McDonalds. wink

Meg

#119508 June 6th, 2005 at 02:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've always used the grits and it has always worked. I spread them around the hill and within 2-3 days the ants are gone. It works better if they are broadcasted evenly and not just dumped.

G-Mom grinnnn

#119509 June 6th, 2005 at 02:56 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well G-mom. I should know if a couple of days if it worked for me lol. I spread it throughout the entire weedpatch cause they have doors everywhere.

Link Copied to Clipboard