This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118688 June 22nd, 2005 at 06:20 AM
OP Offline
I haven't been around due to a very busy schedule, but school is out this week and last week I finished up dance for the summer so now I'll have lots of time to garden! I planted some trees today, but I don't know if they'll live because they were in my fridge for about a month, when they were only supposed to stay in there for up to 5 days. :rolleyes: Oops! They are colorado blue spruces and they had bare roots, do you think they'll make it? I also transplanted some oriental perennial poppies, marigolds, echinacea, cobacea, and a bulb but I can't remember what the name of it was! I'll let you know how they all look in a few days, I hope they all live! I started them all from seed in February and they have been struggling indoors since then, I do better when I plant seeds directly into the ground.

~Kurlie wink smile

#118689 June 22nd, 2005 at 09:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Kurlie,
It's good to see you back here...

How's the chives and the strawberries doing???

I was out pickin' mine today!!!

Oh yes, keep us posted... on your plants from seeds.. we love to hear updates!!!!

#118690 June 24th, 2005 at 12:23 AM
OP Offline
Uh-oh, the poppies don't look so good! They are very wilted, do you think they'll pull through? I am making it my own personal mission to keep them wet, but how wet should I keep em?

#118691 June 24th, 2005 at 12:28 AM
Welcome back, Kurlie!

Dianna

#118692 June 24th, 2005 at 01:55 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Kurlie,
How often are you watering them??
I haven't watered mine yet this year..
*the oriental version*
But they're pretty hardy...

What kind of soil do you have them in?
Regular garden or raised beds?
Regular soil, have you used any fertilizers on them? If so, when and what time?

#118693 June 24th, 2005 at 04:18 AM
OP Offline
I had started them for seed so they weren't that big and strong when I planted them in the first place. I haven't used any fertilizers or anything, and I've been watering them once a day since a put them in the ground, which wasn't that long ago. They are in a brand-new raised bed with a mix of peat-moss, soil from the ground, and gardening soil. On the package it says that they don't handle transplanting well.

#118694 June 24th, 2005 at 05:59 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
The poppies, would you consider them the
kind your Granny might have had???
Orange colored one's??
Like this Oriental Poppie???

If it's like that kind, not a California poppie
or Op!um P*ppie....

I put mine in the crappiest kind of soil I could find, hardly any nutrients or anything....
And like I said, I haven't watered them yet..
I do have to say.... they are in shade in the hottest part of the day, so they don't dry out..

My first thought when you said you were watering them everyday, I thought that was a bit too much.
And when you said you put them in
They are in a brand-new raised bed with a mix of peat-moss, soil from the ground, and gardening soil.
The peat~moss may also hold tooooooo much moisture.
The raised bed part should be ok...
that should drain well, and they don't like soggy roots...

How's the sun that they are getting???
Alot or very little...??????

plant them too deep??
Did they base of the plant drop down below
the soil line?

And how many days actually have they been transplanted into the ground now???

#118695 June 27th, 2005 at 09:19 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for all the help weezie, but they are definately all dead. They were in full sun and they were fully dead about 3 days after I transplanted them. frown I planted more seeds though so maybe they will sprout and live. They weren't exactly like the ones in that picture, although very similar. On the packet the name was "Oriental Poppy Mix" Thanks any way!

#118696 June 28th, 2005 at 12:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glad to have you back with us all Kurlie....sorry to hear about your poppies dying.....hope you are able to visit us all a lot more now!

Laura

#118697 July 3rd, 2005 at 09:26 PM
OP Offline
Yay I think a poppy plant is living after all!

#118698 July 4th, 2005 at 12:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's great Kurlie.......glad to hear that at least one of them might've pulled through...

Link Copied to Clipboard