This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118682 June 30th, 2005 at 09:55 AM
OP Offline
Hi all. I live in WESTERN Massachusetts, in the city of Springfield. I've lived in the same, now 90 year old house, for 28 years so it is a real familiar place. Recently I've become interested in perennials instead of trying to grow beans, strawberries, tomatoes, etc., for fun. I dug up an area that is about 10 x 10 feet and have planted bulbs and perennials there. Now I'm looking to find flowers that bloom at all different seasons so that I can have constant color from April through October. I like whites to pinks and blues, NO heavy oranges or yellows in this garden. In the front of the house I have two beds that are filled with Lilly of the Valley, Violets, ferns, mints, wild bleeding hearts, many 5 foot tall Orange tiger lilies, and a host of other things that I've forgotton, a very wild mix to be sure, but it sure beats mowing! Most everywhere around the house and the garage, I've planted something. I desperately need organization in the garden.
I also collect vintage clothing and buttons in my spare time.
My husband and I are the happy parents of four grown children, the youngest just graduated from high school, has a job, turned 18, and still lives at home.
During the school year I teach 4th grade students in a Behavioral Special Education class. As you can see my life is far from bland.

Just today I noticed the white flies eating on the flower stalks of the hosta. Oh those darn white flies. I've been spraying with Neem oil for a different problem so I was surprised to see the white flies, especially this early.
A neighbor has a nasty Catalpa tree and it breeds and spreads the white flies. I don't remember ever seeing them this early in the summer. Ant suggestions???????

Bee safe and love one another. luv

#118683 June 30th, 2005 at 10:53 AM
Hi Mizzeliz! wavey

I'm a neighbor (sorta, kinda) here in western RI. Been to Springfield many times.

Sorry to hear about the whiteflies--don't know what to tell you, but I'm sorry anyway grinnnn Can't have Hosta here in the boonies cause the deer love em. :rolleyes:

Anyhew, WELCOME kit

#118684 June 30th, 2005 at 02:53 PM
Hi Mizzeliz wavey
Cygon is very effective for white flies, but must be repeated weekly for a while, I would suggest 3 or 4 applications. Your local Nursery should have it.
and Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you.
[Linked Image]

#118685 July 1st, 2005 at 04:39 AM
OP Offline
Thank you for your welcome to both pattioh and princessazlea. I will look at the garden store for Cygon to see if they have it. I need to take care of my plants and protect them from the dredded whiteflies. I also want to be sure that I'm careful to keep the yard safe for my friends the "Cardinal Couple" who have lived in the trees around here for years too.

We'll be picking up our youngest son from camp so I may be out of touch for a couple of days. Till then bee safe and garden happily! luv

#118686 July 3rd, 2005 at 08:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

It's a pleasure to meet you!

G-Mom grinnnn

#118687 July 3rd, 2005 at 10:37 PM
welcome from a fellow newbee