This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118553 July 2nd, 2005 at 03:54 PM
J
Jon Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Howdy folks - especially Weezie who sent me a few offboard notes wink

Been a lot of water under the bridge since I stepped off the board for a bit. The army has me back in uniform - - got a call that said - "You are no longer retired" and now, I've been in Baghdad, Iraq for 2 1/2 weeks.

Last September found a fantastic gal - and now she's gone and made me a grandpa - twice -- and given me 3 kids - to add to my daughter. Tied the knot in Jan - though we had planned for May. Turned out, I had known her one son for a couple of years - but he's away at Bible college - but when Lori told him she was dating me - he was all for it grinnnn grinnnn

There were some ugly stuff in mid to late summer - - but it was all to turn out for the better - otherwise, would not have met Lori.

Will attempt to stay in contact - - sorry for nothing from me in about a year.

Jon

#118554 July 2nd, 2005 at 06:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Jon, glad to see you back on the forum....Stay safe over there in Iraq okay? Must have been a shocker to get that call to come out of retirement....

Isn't it great when you find yourself such a fantastic person to spend your life with? I'm happy for you, and glad that her son gave you his approval.... smile

When you have time make sure you stop by and let us know how things are and that you are okay over there????

Laura

#118555 July 2nd, 2005 at 08:07 PM
HI wavey JON i agree with loz it must have been a shocker for them to tell you that you are no longer retired.i served in the army for 16 years so i know what you are going through and the hardships it places on you and your family.i am in a wheel chair now but if i where not. i would be honored to serve with you and all others at the time the Iraqi people need you to help them learn the true meaning of freedom.i for one salute you for coming out of retirement we need folks like you in leadership rolls to help guide the younger troops.may god bless you and keep you out of harms way.your friend mike57 thumbup

#118556 July 3rd, 2005 at 01:58 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi Ya Jon,
I have been sooooooooooooo wondering about you!!!!
And now I'll be even wondering more...where you are!!!!

Will be mixed thoughts with where you are... but hoping all is well, and you are safe, and comfortable, and not in harms way....
But know you are doing a wonderful thing over there, helping them become in Mike's words,
learn the true meaning of freedom.
What are your conditions over there??
Doing any gardening, or is thatttttttttt a silly
question????

I am soooooooooooooo glad to hear all is working
out well in your personal life too!!!
Very happy for you!!!!
I hope you will stay in touch with us, while you're stationed over there, and maybe we can get your whole troop yakkin' with us here, that
would be sooooooooooooo much fun and what an honour and adventure for us back here....

#118557 July 3rd, 2005 at 02:50 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
wavey Hey Jon I never met you on here but just want to say a great big THANK YOU for myself and my family. My youngest Grandson is in Basic at Fort sill now. Like Mike57 I can't serve if I could I would be honored to go and serve. Thank you again for all your doing. May God Bless and Keep you and your family. smile
Jimmy

#118558 July 3rd, 2005 at 08:37 AM
wavey Hello Jon! How interesting that I should find your message on the Fourth of July weekend. Here's a big Thank You from northern NY. kissies

#118559 July 4th, 2005 at 08:04 AM
flw flw Happy Day Jon, Happy Day! flw flw

Oh, Congratulations to you and Lori on your marriage.

Nice to see your post, but worrisome to think of you in Iraq. So you know you have all of our thought with you and your (now) big family each day.

All prayers, always.
Merme

#118560 July 4th, 2005 at 06:50 PM
Hi Jon! You don't know me but I wanted to say hi and let you know my prayers are with you and your new family. My boys are both former Marines so I know how easily uncle sam can pass out orders.

Stay safe and thanks

smile

#118561 July 8th, 2005 at 07:26 PM
J
Jon Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi to all

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll post up about Iraq from time to time. One of my many jobs over here is to write/publish the unit newsletter. If you are interested, I could try and put it up here - or in email as the case may be. The current edition I'm working on is about one of our subordinate units that is stationed where Saddam's secret police HQ was, and has pics of the prison that housed international prisoners - secretely.

I've also got a crapper full of pics - unedited - shooting too many when I have the opportunity - but have not had the op. to edit them yet.

We're in the Civil Affairs - which depends heavily on civilian skills rather than military - one of the reasons for calling retirees and IRR soldiers back (almost 1/3 of the soldiers deployed here are from the IRR or retired list). The job of CA is to assist the Iraqis to get their lives back in order - the gov. functioning better, and infrastructure and economy flowing smoothly.

Again - thanks for the well wishes, ...... As to gardening .... well, depends what we are cultivating - plant world .... got the wife taking care of mine kissies

Take care of yourselves and happy gardening

Jon

#118562 July 11th, 2005 at 07:32 AM
I spent 3 years active and 17 in the Reserves, I retired in 1997. I hope they don't call me back. I was in Petroleum Supply.

The thought of driving a fuel tanker down IED road doesn't thrill me one bit.

#118563 July 11th, 2005 at 07:49 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hiya Jon,

A news letter would be kinda fun...

How do you get to log on to the internet?
Is it your own computer, laptop, or a
community one~like at a library???

Just curious.....

How long will you be there?

#118564 October 11th, 2005 at 08:54 PM
my oldest son is over there.you all stay safe

#118565 October 31st, 2005 at 08:59 AM
Hi Jon, keep yourselve safe over there. am praying for you!

******Steph thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup

#118566 November 15th, 2005 at 10:20 AM
Stay safe Jon!!

angell

#118567 November 27th, 2005 at 01:19 PM
D
D
hey jon, thanks for all that you do for the country, and make us proud! you and the troops are in our hearts and prayers!

Link Copied to Clipboard