This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118538 August 4th, 2005 at 08:26 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
We've got quite a few this week - there was a lot of squealing so I guess they were having their litters.

Here's one of the wee ones now - I don't know how old it is; maybe born earlier on in the season . . .

[Linked Image]

He loved peeking at me from behind the tree - when I stepped toward him, he'd hide, then I'd stand still and he'd peek 'round the tree.

#118539 August 4th, 2005 at 07:07 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
They're soooooooooo cute when they're little
but I keep my distance...

We had a baby *or tiny* skunk the other day...
Left the ole perfume he'd been wearing lingerin'
in the yard for quite some time...

Cute picture Carly!

#118540 August 4th, 2005 at 08:56 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Our first summer on this lot was '95. At that time there was more grass out back - now it's just all tarmac since the parking lot was re-paved.

They used to come right up to the back door - we'd sit outside and feed them - silly us. Couldn't get rid of 'em. Ha ha!

The babies are always tame. People have tried to make pets of raccoons but after their first year they go wild again.

I wouldn't want any of these outdoor critters getting into the house - whew! I once had a squirrel get in my house. My cat (Harvey II) wouldn't chase it out - that cat was a real passivist - he used to sit at the back door and watch 'em eat my garden - didn't do a thng about it.

Skitter (the cat we have now) would raise hell - she allows nobody to invade her territory which encompasses the whole street. Squirrels, raccoons, even some dogs are put in their place in no uncertain terms.

#118541 August 5th, 2005 at 01:13 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
As a boy I had several pet raccoons who never went wild on me. My state Game and Fish Commission learned of my interest and issued me permits to keep wild animals. Before I knew it I was babysitting, skunks, foxes, bobcats, squirrels, kinkajous , and coata mundis for them and was written up in the newspapers for my hobby. I also kept a few monkeys. I HATE,HATE,HATE monkeys, (except baboons and gorillas).

#118542 August 5th, 2005 at 02:33 AM
I am the former owner of a coon or 2 and a skunk ( although he had his stinker taken out ), we also had a monkey and once I found a baby doe kept her in the back yard she stayed for a summer then ran off in the winter. I never had a bad experience with my coons going wild although I was told by many that they would. I had both for a few years. They can actually be very affectionate pets. At our first home my husband had 2 little wild ones that would just go nuts for him climb right up on him and perch on his shoulder, I have some pictures of them with him they are just adorable he looks like grizzley Adams as it is then you add a coon or to the shoulders and legs - now I member why I love him so! lol I will see if I can find one of them pics and post it.

#118543 August 5th, 2005 at 04:57 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, that's the first time I heard of anyone having success with that.

I knew about skunks though - de-skunked ones.

Raccoons seem friendly - they're curious animals. They look like they want a good hug.

When my youngest daughter was small I looked out the front door to see her and a baby raccoon walking down the sidewalk side by side. She got along well with animals - always. She doesn't keep pets of her own though; she's always glad to see my cat Skitter out and about - doesn't think she should be made to come inside.

We disagree - there are 24 hours in the day and if Skitter had her way, all of those hours would be keeping us employed as door persons.

Open the door!

Let me in!

Let me out!

Let me in!

Link Copied to Clipboard