This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118035 May 2nd, 2005 at 05:20 PM
Fernie Offline OP
Snow Bunny
OP Offline
Snow Bunny
How you can get rid of birds you are not fond of? I have been happily feeding redwing blackbirds, doves, chickadees and swallows. All the sudden starlings have shown up and have chased off everything else. I am not a starling fan but I certainly don't want to harm them. How do I get them outta here?

Oh and by the way.....my first hummingbird (a rufous) was here last Wednesday and yesterday we saw a calliope and a broadtail. Just waiting for some black chinned hummers to show up and then all the ones native to my area will have checked in. smile

#118036 May 2nd, 2005 at 07:00 PM
G
G
I can relate to your problem.

Here's my problem... http://www.thegardenhelper.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/41/6.html :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that there's any way to get rid of just one kind of bird. The only thing I would think of is to stop feeding, but then everybody leaves. Duh

Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
Gisela

#118037 May 2nd, 2005 at 08:07 PM
Fernie Offline OP
Snow Bunny
OP Offline
Snow Bunny
I have pigeons down in the barn too but they seem rather on the shy side! That is hard to believe I know but I don't know why they won't come up to the house, nothing ever seemed to bother them in town. I have noticed if the feeder is low....then the starlings go off someplace else.....so am going to try that for a bit and see what happens.

#118038 May 4th, 2005 at 04:11 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I have never done this, well, only for the lack of funding really, but I have read along this concept...

Take the area you want to feed the birds, or certain birds..(*most people want to feed the smaller birds, chickadees, finches, sparrows, etc.*)
But if you take say a pole or a sheppards' hook...
put it in the ground and figure out a way to put some stakes in the ground and put a circle or square around the stakes... and figure out someway to get a way in for your self...
Make the circle out of chicken wire...
**Small holes*...... now if you have that enclosed on the top, the only birds that can get in the holes are the small birds...

And inside of that area is where you've hung the feeders or whatever inside there to keep the smaller one's in and the bigger one's out!!!

Weezie

Actually when I first read about this concept,
it was to keep animals, such as cats kit frown out of that area so they couldn't eat the birds...

Link Copied to Clipboard