This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#117990 November 9th, 2005 at 09:48 AM
OP Offline
Okay, so about 3 weeks or so ago, I got rear-ended in a hit and run. I got the person's license number, but none of the witnesses were willing to admit they saw it. After the adrenaline wore off, I remembered I had a toddler with me and was pregnant, and I started to notice my neck was sore, so we turned around and went to the hospital and got checked out. I spent a few hours in "labor and delivery" hooked up to a monitor, and my husband had to leave work to take my son to urgent care to get checked. Then I spent another hour and a half filing a police report, after which the cop told me they wouldn't do anything because no one was hurt and there was no real damage to my car, just scratches on the bumper. (The detective who did the follow-up told me he was going to close the case, but he'd send the guy a letter. Yipee.)So I called it in to my insurance just in case I turned out to have whiplash, but told them I wasn't filing an actual CLAIM because as far as I could tell we were only out 22 bucks and a good bit of inconvenience. (The only 22 bucks was because of my husband's AMAZINGLY good HMO, so we were incredibly lucky.) As far as I was concerned, that was the end of it.

But my insurance adjuster sent me like 8 letters in the space of about 5 days, with "Fill out this," and "Call about that", and finally I got so irritated, I called her to tell her that I wasn't filing a claim. Bless her young, idealistic heart, she couldn't believe it. She sputtered. "But you went to the HOSPITAL. You're PREGNANT. You had a 2 year old with you. At least take your car to the mechanic--it's free. And did the police even run the guy's license plate?"
I said I didn't know, but they weren't going to do anything anyway.
She said, "Well, I did. I have his name and address right here. (pause) I could at least send him a letter asking for his insurance information. (pause) The car is a 2005 Dodge Magnum. He HAS insurance. (pause) Maybe at least it'll scare him."
So I told her, "Good, absolutely, go ahead. And tell him he hit a pregnant woman with a child in the car."
So it turns out that she can't ask for his insurance info unless she actually has something to bill them for, so she decides to send $200.00 each for me and my son for our time and so on. It doesn't hit MY insurance because if HIS insurance won't cover it, then it will go to collections against the leinholder on his car. (Hahaha. And they'll know that he's going around hit-and-running people.) So, again, I'm okay with that.
So she calls me again yesterday and tells me they're sending me $254.04, to cover the value of replacing the scratched bumper, and I say, "Is that coming out of my insurance? and she says. "Oh, NOOOO, he's paying for it." I can't believe it. "You mean after all that, he admits he did it?" She says no, his story is that he thought I "waved him on". But nonetheless, he took her letter to his attorney, and the attorney wrote my insurance and said to send all the bills to him, and he'd cover them.

So now, I am TOTALLY ROFLMAO, because not only is he now out the $654.04 my insurance paid ME, but he also has to pay his attorney!

If the jack@$s had just stopped to check on us after he HIT us, we would have traded insurance info, I'd have gotten me and my son checked out, and that would have been that. I don't imagine I would have even asked him to cover the 22 bucks.

Cosmic justice actually exists. Karma, man.

#117991 November 9th, 2005 at 10:12 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Cosmic justice actually exists. Karma, man.
MY NAME IS EARL! [Linked Image]

Geegee...that guy SHOULD have stopped.
I don't care how minor an accident is, you STOP!
...and that's not just my opinion...that's the law.
Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime...

I'm glad he had to pay for it...
...and I'm glad you all didn't get hurt.

Cindy

#117992 November 9th, 2005 at 10:16 AM
LOL

Karma caught up with him, for sure!!

Glad to know that you and your child are not damaged.

And yes, Cindy, he should have stopped and the police should have filed it as a "hit and run."

#117993 November 9th, 2005 at 10:47 AM
OP Offline
Hey, guys!

I know the guy should have stopped. AND there's no WAY anyone could really be that stupid to say that I "waved him on" after he rear-ended me, because even a student driver would know you have to AT LEAST stop, right?

That's why I think its SOOOOOO FUNNY! I was MAJOR P.O'd the day it happened, but when the cops said they weren't going to do anything about it, my main feeling (aside from being really ticked) was I was just glad we were all okay, and also that the car wasn't really messed up.

I think the police DID file it as a hit and run-- I guess out here they figure they've got better things to do with their time. (Which I don't mind if they're out stopping gang-bangers, not picking up doughnuts.)

PS- Cindy, I LOOOVE "My Name is Earl." One of the funniest shows I've seen in years, I think.

#117994 November 9th, 2005 at 11:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What a jerk to take off like that. When my friend and I were in a rear ender(we were the last in a line of 5 wrecked cars) we were told that it doesn't matter what your reason is...if you rear end someone else you are liable....

Even if it's raining and you're coming onto the highway off a ramp at regular speed and the wreck is BAM right there in front of you and you can't move over because of interstate traffic...There was a sharp turn in the road....you couldn't see the wreck until it was too late...Doesn't matter the cop said, it's still your fault...

I'm glad he had to be held accountable for what he did.....He should be lucky that he's only out of money and that he did really injure you or your son or baby.....Everyone knows it's the law to stop for any accident--the guy knew he messed up and was scared I bet....

#117995 November 9th, 2005 at 07:23 PM
GG, I'm so glad you and the children weren't injured. Duh nutz and the cruiser didn't have lights flashing or sirens on!

#117996 November 9th, 2005 at 09:01 PM
That is terrible, Geegeeburr! I can't believe the police didn't give him a "leaving the scene of an accident" ticket.

How is your neck now? I am thankful you and your babies were not seriously injured...

Dianna

#117997 November 10th, 2005 at 01:22 AM
I definately believe in karma. The three fold law-what you give outfor no gain to yourself gets returned to you three times over. and of course visa versa. So glad to know that you and the baby were not injured.

#117998 November 10th, 2005 at 03:08 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by melcon6:
years ago when I lived in Ma there was a story in the newspaper about a cop (on duty, in a cruiser) that rear-ended a truck that was stopped at a red light and they cited the truck for failure to yield Duh nutz and the cruiser didn't have lights flashing or sirens on!
Unbe-bleepin'-lievable! That's just wrong.

I know, Loz, it sucks about the rear-ending thing, because sometimes there really IS no way you could have avoided it. I rear-ended someone a couple of years ago (ALSO coming off a freeway ramp into street traffic), and my insurance agent asked me, "Who do you think is at fault" and I just wondered why they even bothered to ask, because I'm automatically at fault, and nothing the insurance company can say is going to get us out of that.

Hi Dianna! I should have said-- the neck was fine after about a day and a half, and baby and toddler were both fine. Do you still have wedding pictures posted somewhere, BTW?

#117999 November 10th, 2005 at 03:42 AM
Hey, Geegeeburr! wavey

Do you still have wedding pictures posted somewhere, BTW?
Yes, Jim still has some of the wedding pictures posted. These pics came off the cameras we had sitting around at all the tables. I still have more that haven't made it to the web yet...

http://jmoore933.photosite.com

Dianna

#118000 November 10th, 2005 at 05:51 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the link. smile You look beautiful, and you both look SOOOO happy! (And your hubby has FABULOUS hair.) The cake is beautiful, too, and who walked you down the aisle? Is that your son? (I don't know if you have a son....)

#118001 November 10th, 2005 at 06:33 AM
Yes, Geegee. That was my son. I tried to get him to "cowboy up", but he wasn't having any of that! grinnnn He really wanted to walk me down the aisle, though...

The short dark-headed girl with the baby is my daughter and granddaughter. The little boy that my son is holding in one of the pics is my grandson, too.

Thanks for the compliments. I really love Jim's hair color, too. I swear it was that color before he met me, though.... laugh laugh laugh

Dianna

#118002 November 10th, 2005 at 08:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jim and diana are a very handsome couple, and very gracious and friendly, and if i ever get a chance, i'm heading back up there! they are great folks, and i am happy they found each other!! thumbup

#118003 November 10th, 2005 at 08:32 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Dianna...I had to go look at the wedding pics again! I just love them! And it was such a special day for you both. I enjoyed them just as much this time as I did when you first posted them.... luv

#118004 November 10th, 2005 at 09:56 AM
Great pictures Dianna. Brave people have weddings outside.

#118005 November 10th, 2005 at 10:14 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Brave people have weddings outside.
Brave people have WEDDINGS!

lala

#118006 November 10th, 2005 at 11:15 AM
Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
Brave people have WEDDINGS!

laugh laugh laugh no comment!

Just took a second look at Diannas pics.
What a beautiful wedding.You look so pretty and happy. wink

That karma thing made me remember something spooky that happened 15 years ago.I was thinking of moving.So I was checking out rental houses.

I found a great place out of town with a small pond.
As soon as I walked in the house I got goosebumps all over my body and I felt so cold.
It was mid August,very hot outside.
By the time I left that house I was so sad,I felt like crying.

I asked the agent why the rent was so cheap.She wouldn't say.I found out a month later a little boy had drowned in that pond.

geez.......just thinking about it gives me willies.

#118007 November 10th, 2005 at 11:34 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Ewe Duckie...that gave ME the Willies...

We had a ton of trouble trying to sell our house. Everyone in town knew Dayne..and after he was killed in the auto accident...everyone reffered to it as "Dayne's house"...and no one would buy it! It wasn't like he was THERE or anything...everyone just knew that he was raised in that house. Finally, one of his best friend's bought our house. After about a month I ran into him and asked him how he liked the house...he said he would just sit there waiting for Dayne to come out of the bathroom! I l laugh aughed so hard I bout wet my pants!

#118008 November 11th, 2005 at 08:36 AM
oh wow, see sometimes the little guy gets lucky.

Cindy...ashley loved the dancing banana, she's doing the banana dance now. grinnnn

Link Copied to Clipboard