This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#117825 July 25th, 2005 at 11:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
those garden hoses that are coiled up like a spring?????? Duh

My old hose just got a hole in it the other day so I need a new one--I like the idea of these hoses because they are lightweight...The one that broke was so heavy I could never roll it back up.... :rolleyes: Mark just loved tripping over it everyday.... laugh

Just wondering if the coil hoses are worth buying? I need to buy a new one fast because I can't reach all of my yard with the extra one we had......

#117826 July 25th, 2005 at 11:58 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
My dad has 3 of those coiled hoses...laying in a box on the couch, where they've been for 2 years now. He's never even taken them out of the box. He's a mail-order freak.
I might have to go steal one of them and "test" it! laugh

I've heard they are nice, but never used one myself. I was talking to someone the other day that has one of those hoses that collapses flat and you roll it up with a reel, and they said it was primo!

I bought a really good hose awhile back at Wal-Mart. It was "Guaranteed NOT to kink or tangle".
I thought..."Yeah, RIGHT!" :rolleyes:
So, I got it home and tried my best to kink it up, dragging it all across the yard and back, here and there....AND IT DIDN'T KINK! thumbup

You be the guinea pig and buy the coiled hose and let us know if it works, then WE will buy one! laugh

Cindy

#117827 July 26th, 2005 at 12:24 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
okay, here's my two cents on them....

I saw them on HSN, of course...*LOVE THAT CHANNEL*
and it looked like a really good idea.... thumbup

I got one, of course :rolleyes:

So, I use it on my side of the property...
and it ain't so hot, got it stuck on clumps of grass and kids toys, the fence, and "debris" in the yard shocked
Then I took it over to my mothers property...
let her use it... and she tried reaching plants around a corner and it got stuck on to things..
and for an older person, with alot of clutter,
*yard art, fencings, spinners, planters/pot's, buckets, watering cans, and corneres......
It wasn't so hot either...

BUTTTTT, we used it on her cement patio stuff another time, and it worked GREAT!!!!
Nothing to hang up on it... the cement kept it in
a straight line, anything we were watering on the cement pad was also in a straight line... and it
did coil back up nicely....
And it was great for short distances...
***Doesn't work all the way to the front part of my back 40, let alone the back half****

Sooooooo, IMHO, you have to have a smooth surface for it to work on so it doesn't catch anything along the way. Does that make sense...

#117828 July 26th, 2005 at 03:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First of all....Cindy go "borrow" one of them off your dad....he doesn't need all 3 of them!!LOL

Wonder what hose you got from walmart....see my problem is that my old hose was really nice, but it was also really heavy and I couldn't ever get it coiled back up nice, so I really need something light....Dad had one of those flat hoses and he hated it....it never wound back up right on the thing, but then again I guess there are different brands that are better quality....

Weezie, I was looking at one on HSN's website (I love HSN too)......How long is the one you have now? They have 50 ft ones but I guess they wouldn't go 50 feet because they are coiled.....I saw a 75 foot one on a different site that may not be so bad...I don't really have a lot in the way, at least in the directions/paths I take with the hose....I have a lot of stuff in the flowerbeds(statues, spinners, etc)...but the lawn is general clear of things...so maybe it would work for me???? I'd rather have to get a hose "unstuck" once in a while than have to try to pull the thing up through the yard and get it looking neat and tidy...I'm just not that strong....LOL

What is the water pressure like out of the one you have?????

I saw a hose on one of the shopping channels once that wound itself back up.....can't remember which one though...Now that's what I really need!!!!

#117829 July 26th, 2005 at 03:55 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I saw a hose on one of the shopping channels once that wound itself back up.....can't remember which one though...Now that's what I really need!!!!
My mother just got one of those... On the QVC I think it was... thumbup cool thumbup Jeepers creepers, I wish I had it..

You do have to attach it to something,
ground or wall... cause it needs leverage..

Then you put in your hose....
Turn on the water...
and water your plants....

Then leave the water on, you have to have a little drain hose off to the side, because it takes the pressure of the water to pull it back in.
*We are sooooooo water concious, that we have a little pail we drain it into and save it for hand watering our hanging baskets....or seedlings, etc.

She absolutely loves it!!!!

What is the water pressure like out of the one you have?????
The pressure was good on it,
never bothered me one way or the other...

For me, back when I was single and had money,
I bought two rubber hoses' from SEARS....
I have never regretted it....
and wished I had some extra $$ to buy 2 more...
*I had a short back yard when I only bought two
in the first place*

They aren't really all that heavy that I think...
They NEVER KINK, and I've had no problem with them
in 13 years, except when I ran them over shocked with shocked the shocked lawn mower.. :rolleyes: mad

#117830 July 26th, 2005 at 04:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, that winder upper sounds fantastic.....I'm going to go check out QVC and see if I can find it....

Mark's wary about ordering stuff online when he can't actually look at it, but I'm all for it...I keep saying...."but they have a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee"....LOL

I guess running over your hose with the lawn mower would cause a bit of a problem....LOL.....

Thanks for helping me out with this Weezie...Cindy you too....There are just so many hoses out there to choose from....

#117831 July 26th, 2005 at 04:21 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I guess running over your hose with the lawn mower would cause a bit of a problem....LOL.....
A BIT OF A PROBLEM!!!! shk

YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN mad MY mad HUSBANDS' mad FACE mad WHEN mad HE mad SAW mad IT!!!

OHMYYYYYYYYYYYGAWDDDDDDDDDD!!!
I had it wrapped around the mower thingie
a few times, before I was fast enough to
shut off the mower deck....

Thank goodness he's handy and patched the two up,
but it made my two hose's in to ONE long one...

I will NEVER do that again!!!

#117832 July 26th, 2005 at 04:23 AM
wavey HI all AMEN Weezie SEARS sells great hoses wavey flw flw

#117833 July 26th, 2005 at 04:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hmmmmm......Sears sounds like they have dependable hoses.....too bad I'm not stronger or I'd pick up one...LOL Who knows, maybe we can pick one up and get a hose reel like you have Mike.....

One good thing about my water is that the town never gave us a water meter....3 years ago they said they would and they didn't...so we pay a flat price each month regardless of what we use...and trust me I use the heck out of the cold water........That's one good thing about living here and being a gardener...I don't have to worry about huge water bills....

#117834 July 26th, 2005 at 05:01 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
i use a few hose reals that you crank to roll up my hoses i have them in diffrent places in my yard they have wheels on them so there easy to move around.
Ain't nothin' like a good hose reel on wheels!
That's what I've got.

But...a word of warning! laugh shocked

Last summer I was reeling my hose up real fast. The sprayer thing wasn't on the end of it, so it was not catching on anything. Man, I was gettin' down, just reelin' that sucker in like a big ole fish...and all of a sudden it got to the end and the metal part on the end of the hose flew up and busted my lip so bad.....it was awful! Actually, had to have a few stitches inside my mouth...

I was too embarrassed last year to tell THAT story! laugh

#117835 July 26th, 2005 at 05:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
shk Cindy, you have to be more careful!!!! OUCH....I bet that hurt! Sounds like something I'd do....I'm sort of clumsy.....always hurting myself one way or another... :p

#117836 July 26th, 2005 at 06:10 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Ahhhhhhhhhh, I thought you did???
I remember you splitin' your lip or something
or other last year...

#117837 July 26th, 2005 at 06:47 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I remember you splitin' your lip or something
or other last year...
Yeah...but I didn't fess up to having to get stitches...
shocked laugh

#117838 July 26th, 2005 at 06:49 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I was TUFF last year! laugh shocked thumbup

#117839 July 26th, 2005 at 07:57 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
thumbup

#117840 July 26th, 2005 at 08:11 AM
Meg Offline
OMG Cindy.. I kinda did the same thing this year.. windin that baby up, on a roll.. and BLAMO!! Right in the kisser. *ow* I didn't need stitches, but it really hurt like a ***** for a couple days. We removed the reel thing.. It was a pain in the rear, so heavy & exhausting to wind up. Nobody would wind it but me! GRRR. So, when I got a new hose this year, since my old one was leaking all over, and starting to fall apart, I removed the reel from the front of the house, and just put the hose right on the spigot. Now, my hose lays whereever. :rolleyes: I want one of those "flat" hoses, that collapses when empty, and rolls up easy & hangs on your house.

Meg

#117841 July 26th, 2005 at 09:26 AM
I purchased a flat hose and it was awful after a few monthes of use it started to leak. I have a wheel real I hate it too. I need something in the front yard to put mine on that is pretty. I havent purchased anything yet but I have been looking at the self reeling hoses at wal-mart. I believe they are about 40 dollars. I am hopeing they go on sale at the end of the year. They look like I could hide them behind a nice butterfly bush or shrub.

#117842 July 26th, 2005 at 12:08 PM
Karrie - you don't mean those that ya wind up that are in a box like dealio do ya? I DON'T recommend those...had one - didn't even last a season - and that was before I started gardening like a nut! It started leaking at the end where the spiggot connects to the 'box', and the hose would get all clumped up when ya reeled it in, etc. So now it makes a catch all stand outside my shed laugh I should probably put a potted flower on it and dress it up, or something.

But if you're talking about one of those that automatically reel up the hose...I saw one on this news show they have here 'does it work wednesday' LOL It looked pretty cool - they showed it at work...as long as the hose is fairly straight going back in, it worked well. Otherwise, not so great. I think that one was about $70 if I remember right.

#117843 July 26th, 2005 at 12:39 PM
T
T
I DO I DO!!

I have had my coiled hose for about 3 yrs now and it is great. The only problem I had was getting the coils tight enough in the winter to store it properly. This year the company I bought it from brought out a rack to store it on. Haven't tried it yet!!

#117844 July 26th, 2005 at 08:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HSN has a coil storage rack on clearance for 7.95 I think....I was checking it out!!!
In the clearance section under, deals for under $10......

#117845 July 26th, 2005 at 09:04 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I had two broken shovels..
Threw the shovel end out,
but saved the sticks with handle part...

So, I just put those down the stick part
and it worked great for FREE!!!

But you can't beat that price Loz!!!

Like I said before as far as I was concerned..
the hose worked great when you had a flat surface
to work off or from or over...it was great..

#117846 July 28th, 2005 at 01:26 AM
My neighbor has one of those coil hoses. She absolutely HATES it. She had the same problem as Weezie...also getting it stuck on something. And its not like you can just shake it and it comes loose. Nope, it just stays there.

I like my 50ft. wal-mart hose. My parents have a rubbermaid box with a handle that holds a 100ft. hose. They love it. You just pull the hose out, water, and then crank the hose back in. You don't have to even see the hose then, its just wrapped up real nice in the pretty box.

Link Copied to Clipboard