This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11758 December 23rd, 2003 at 12:09 AM
N
OP Offline
N
I have had this Jade plant for three years and it started drooping about a month or two ago. I just repotted it today. I just read on this website that you shouldn't water Jade plants in winter. I watered mine when I repotted it today. I was wondering if the water will hurt the plant in any way? I was also wondering if it will be okay because we don't have much sunlight in Oregon right now, and Jade needs a lot of sunlight.

#11759 December 23rd, 2003 at 12:39 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey Hello NatashaNacho wavey
First off I'd like to Welcome you to
The Garden Helpers Forum, and to let you know
that there's alot of great gardeners here that
are very knowledgeable in house plants, and
what I'm going to do is move your post to the
house plant section and hopefully the people
and/or gardeners that specialize in house plants,
who go through the house plant section, will be
able to answer your question, a little bit faster,
if it's in there.
And on that note, I'd like to Welcome you
here and in hopes you'll stick around and join
our group of gardeners here...
And don't be afraid to post as many questions as you need to ask, as that's why we're here, we love to talk about plants.
And to share your knowledge of plants with others as they come along!!!
We're one great big happy group here and feel free to post anywhere's else here too, we have added alot of new sections here with recipes, crafts and hobbies, and banter hall for chatting..

Weezie

P.S. My brother and sister~in~law live in Eugene, Or. and we also have several members here from Oregon as well, Lefse, Barleychown, and Diagones to name a few off the top of my head!!!

#11760 December 23rd, 2003 at 01:09 AM
B
B
Hello. Jades need a decent amount of sunlight, if you really want them to be happy. That being said, my jades are all currently inside because it is too cold out. They are in a northwest facing window and they are doing ok. Not thriving, but doing ok.

What kind of soil did you repot your jade with? I put mine in some very sandy soil, about 1/3 sand with rocks in the bottom. Needless to say the soil drains very quickly so my Jades do alright even if they are watered in the winter.

The biggest shock for your jade was probably the repotting. I would avoid watering your jade for quite some time now to force it to expand its roots.

Also for future reference I would repot a jade in the spring when it can get lots of sunlight and is busy doing a lot of growing, it will expand its roots very quickly.

#11761 December 24th, 2003 at 01:11 AM
T
T
Originally posted by NatashaNacho:
I have had this Jade plant for three years and it started drooping about a month or two ago. I just repotted it today. I just read on this website that you shouldn't water Jade plants in winter. I watered mine when I repotted it today. I was wondering if the water will hurt the plant in any way? I was also wondering if it will be okay because we don't have much sunlight in Oregon right now, and Jade needs a lot of sunlight.
First of all it's the wrong time to repot. Typically, the spring or early summer is repotting time for most plants. When new growth is starting to show. Secondly, never repot a plant that seems or appears to be not doing well. What kind of soil did you use to repot? Hopefully a cactus type mix.
How often to you water? Jades like to dry out a bit between waterings. You MAY be watering too much.

As far as light goes, keep it in the brightest window you have. Don't feed it for a while, wait about a month.

Tom

#11762 December 25th, 2003 at 09:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Natasha,

Jades have small root systems and rarely need repotting, even in the spring. Many can live in the same pot for decades. Certainly, ailing plants should never be repotted.

I strongly suggest that you undo the repotting, remove the extra soil that you added, and move your jade back into its original or similar sized pot. The extra soil that you added acts like a sponge by absorbing and retaining water for too long. That, in turn, will rot the roots.

Jades do best when allowed to get very dry, especially in winter when everything slows down due to the reduced hours of daylight. However, that does not mean it can go through the entire winter without water. If it is in the proper sized pot and it is not in a sunny window, then monthly watering is probably about right.

As mentioned by others, jades do best in direct sunlight. So place your jade right in front of your sunniest available window and make sure the window is uncovered throughout the daylight hours.

Link Copied to Clipboard