This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#117248 May 11th, 2005 at 04:53 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
I found these tonight when I came back from visiting my son. flowers/PinkFairyRose.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/> flowers/NotherPinkFairyRose.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/> flowers/ZebraHollyhock.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/> flowers/Strawberryunkorg.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>
My sister gave me the Hollyhock last October was about 3" tall the Fairy rose trees I planted for my wife she loved them went to Tyler to get them for her. The Strawberry must have came with the Hollyhock as I have never planted any and my Mother and muggs sister have them growing wild in New Mexico.

#117249 May 11th, 2005 at 06:04 AM
wow those look great!! the last one isn't a strawberry...it's a raspberry I think...it looks like one anyway...we have blackberries :p (lol get it...when somebody gives you a raspberry?? lol) growing wild EVERYWHERE here thumbup what's that purple thing in the 2nd pic? looks kewl thumbup

#117250 May 11th, 2005 at 07:01 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Hmm taste like a strawberry according to my grandson. I do know that it came with the Hollyhock from my sister and she only has strawberies. That is all I really know about it. Duh That purple thing I am told is a wild wondering Jew. So Daons Nursery here in Irving told me. And everyone I talk to seems to agree.

#117251 May 11th, 2005 at 07:08 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Will try this post again. Thanks for the flowers avout my flowers sur eproud of them That ppurple thing in second photo is a wild Wondering Jew according to Doan's Nursey here. Others seem to agree,. I don't know if that is a :p or not as it came with the Hollyhock from my sister and she has lots of strwaberries but no :p . Also mu grandson ate one said it tasted like a strawberry. Duh
Jimmy

#117252 May 11th, 2005 at 11:10 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Everything is so pretty. I love the tea rose. Why I like the smaller roses and adore peonies I don't know but I do. I used to have a red tea rose in Port Orchard it was great until I had to get to the center of it to weed. Never did get the grass out of there. The rose always wanted to hold on to it. And the rose always won.

#117253 May 11th, 2005 at 01:04 PM
It looks like a raspberry to me also. A strawbery has only one fruit formation on itself covered by tiny seeds on the outside and a rasberry is made up of many to form one fruit with the seeds on the inside. Raspberries come in many flavours, I have a yellow raspberry (Fall's Gold) and they taste like peaches.
Beautiful roses, I'm jealous.

#117254 May 11th, 2005 at 04:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hmmm.....I grow Wandering Jew here every year, but I've never come across any that looked quite like that before.....yours are totally purple, where the leaves are usually green/purple/silverish in color, and your leaves on it are a shaped kind of different....a lot longer.....I'm not saying the nursery isn't right, I've just never saw one like that before. Duh Maybe a wild one looks different from ones you buy at a nursery.....

Looks like a raspberry in your pic to me too..... Duh

Thanks for sharing your pics smile ....I love looking at them..... thumbup

#117255 May 11th, 2005 at 06:42 PM
Yup, that close-up photo of the berry looks raspish to me, too. But...strawberries grow on vines and raspberries on canes, right? And, isn't it far too early for raspberries to be fruiting?

I tried to do a quick search of the Ontario agricultural site but golly, there are so many types of berries! I wish I could get a better view of the leaf configuration, too...

Merme

#117256 May 12th, 2005 at 12:29 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
:p laugh You may be right I really don't know just telling you what I was told. as for the Jew there again I had to ask what it was. It starts out green then as year goes on it turns the color you saw. I do know it comes back faster then you can dig it up. The pink Fairy roses are small trees. I know this to be true because thats what the tag said. Thanks for all the kind things you said about my photo's. flw
Jimmy

#117257 May 12th, 2005 at 03:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jimmy, your "wandering jew" is a relative of those that the others are talking about, but yours is usually called either "moses in a basket" "purple heart" or "one day flowering jew"

the reason for the names is that it has the prettiest little lavender flower that comes in it... but the bloom only lasts a day...

#117258 May 13th, 2005 at 02:04 AM
Leave it to Jiffy to sort out all confusion and instill a sense of order. kissies

Merme

#117259 May 13th, 2005 at 04:51 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
JV,
Purple heart, Wandering Jew

Not a Hollyhock, but a cousin called...
Malva sylvestris \'Zebrina\'

And for your strawberry/raspberry...
Does it have any thorns???

Weezie

#117260 May 13th, 2005 at 06:47 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Thanks everyone for the education I enjoyed it. Thats what I like about this forum everyone willing to help and make correct id's. Weezie your right it does have thorns also the fruit is now what looks like dark blue or maybe just a very deep red. Will get another photo of it.Keep on I might learn sompin huh laugh
Thanks again
Jimmy

#117261 May 13th, 2005 at 07:10 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
your "wandering jew" is a relative of those that the others are talking about, but yours is usually called either "moses in a basket" "purple heart" or "one day flowering jew"

Thank you for the clarification Jiffy....now I know for sure what I have.....and let me just tell you...after I transplanted it from a hanging basket to the ground....the SLUGS and SNAILS LOVE them. :rolleyes: thumbup
I just love this site....we learn something new everyday!!! kit

Link Copied to Clipboard