This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11649 June 12th, 2003 at 07:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I bought a really pretty african violet tonight. I just can't stop buying plants...... smile My question is, isn't there some type of special violet food that you are supposed to buy to give it every so often????? I hate asking people that work in the plant dept. because they never ever know anything....sometimes I wonder how they ended up there.....you think they would make them study up on plants at least...I am not naming names, but the store starts with a W....lots of you know where I mean....

#11650 June 12th, 2003 at 07:51 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
loz,
Don't get me started on the store that starts with W....I'd like to charge them with cruelty to plants here where I live.

I'm not sure of any specific brand for A.V. but I use one from QVC called "Spray~n~Grow"
and it's a micronutrient. Suppose to be good for all plants and it's organic. It's not to replace your fertilizer but you're to look at it like a vitamin for your plants.......
I have used it for my out side perennials and one or two house plants. The guy who sells it says it's for ALL plants. Can't hurt, he said you could use it everyday if you wanted to and it wouldn't burn the plant.
Hope this helps a bit!!!!
Weezie smile

#11651 June 13th, 2003 at 01:46 AM
Loz,

Don't know if have a Home Depot close to where you are, but I do most of my garden shopping there. They have a pretty extensive nursery section for part of the year. Cheaper than nurseries, a decent variety of plants, and a l year guarantee on any plant you buy if it doesn't grow, with no questions asked as to how come it died wink

In my Home Depot, they have a good selection of African Violets. I know, because I considered buying one, and didn't because they offered so much other peripheral stuff to go with it, that I thought the plant care might be more than I wanted to get into. The point is that they had food, special soil, pesticides etc. A large selection of stuff for just that plant. So you might want to at least give them a call and see your Home Depot has a similar selection to mine.

Ronni

#11652 June 13th, 2003 at 03:47 AM
Loz,
There is a special plant food just for African Violet..I can't remeber the name of it .But once you use it on the violets they bloom and bloom..I'll look later to see where i put it and tell you the name .But its just for violets ..

#11653 June 13th, 2003 at 04:19 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
African violets (Saintpaulia) must be fed with a specific fertilizer formulated for African Violets (0-10-10). (I always used "Shultz African Violet food") They require certain trace elements which aren't available with an all purpose food, as well as a soil acidifier. The violet food will take care of these needs. African violets need about fourteen hours of bright light a day. It may be necessary to provide supplemental light for them, by using a Gro light, especially during the winter months. Spent flowers should be removed as soon as they begin to fade. This will allow the plants energy to be used to produce new blossoms rather than seeds.

#11654 June 13th, 2003 at 04:36 AM
Bill,
Thats what i use.. Just found it..Bill is right if you keep the dead blooms picked off they just keep putting out new ones..Mine are so pretty..This is my first time to do african voilets im so proud of way they are doing.I have mine in my kitchen window must be just the right amount of light there for them..
smile

#11655 June 13th, 2003 at 07:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks everyone for the help...We don't have a home depot around here, just a lowes....I will have to check into the plant food for it and remember to take off the dead flowers......I have it in my dining room window.......It is really nice and sunny in there so it should do well....thanks again!

Link Copied to Clipboard