This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#116160 June 9th, 2005 at 03:24 PM
OP Offline
Mosquito Barrier. Made with garlic. I am wondering if anyone has tried it? Jim and I are thinking about buying some because the mosquitos are getting pretty full here using us as their buffet. Any reviews out there?

Dianna

#116161 June 9th, 2005 at 03:47 PM
Hi Dianna!

I'm curious about that too! We have a bad case of ticks, and I know that stuff is supposed to work for them too. Those suckers love me - I think they know how much I hate them!

As an aside, there are a couple of things that I've done, that you might try (if you haven't already) as temporary solutions.

One thing that has worked for me in getting rid of mosquitos is putting out a plate of water and a few drops of lemon scented dishwashing liquid. The key is to put it a distance from where you are! This works well for outdoor bbq's, etc., when you'll be in one general area. The mosquitos will flock to the dish and die after feasting. I dont know how organic that is, unless you have organic lemon dish soap wink

Save your dryer sheets. If you're working in the yard, rub it on your bare parts, and then tuck it in your belt loop. I didn't believe this would work till I tried it.

Sorry to have rambled on. I tend to do that! wink
Mary

#116162 June 9th, 2005 at 06:13 PM
OP Offline
Ramble away, Mary! I learned something.

I never knew that dishwashing liquid would help get rid of skeeters. I will definitely try that the next time we try to sit outside in the early morning or evening.

As for the dryer sheets, I have tried them and they didn't seem to work for me. Maybe because I was using store brand instead of Bounce?

Thanks for replying and stay tuned. Maybe someone has tried it and they will answer soon.

Dianna

#116163 June 9th, 2005 at 08:01 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Dianna...the garlic barrier...are you talking about something that you make...or buy ready made? I haven't heard of that. I do know that my mom use to give her Yorkie garlic tablets every day to keep fleas, ticks & mosquitos off...and it worked.

#116164 June 9th, 2005 at 09:05 PM
OP Offline
Vanessa, this is what I am talking about. Jim and I have been reading up on it and it sounds great. I am just wondering if it is too good to be true. We will probably end up trying it to deal with the mosquitoes around here. Those buggers hurt!

Dianna

#116165 June 11th, 2005 at 10:53 PM
D
D
I heard on the news the other day, for those people with bodies of water nearby, there are a type of fish called gambria(i think) and they feed on mosquito larvae. Also there are things called mosquito dunks and they are save to use everwhere including fish ponds and stuff. I don't know how organic they are but they seem to work. You can get them just about anywheer.

#116166 June 12th, 2005 at 07:44 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Hhmmm..haven't heard of that til now Dianna...I'm going to have to show this to my son. They live around a bunch of rice fields...we are talkin MAJOR Skeeters! Last summer when I would go to see them....just by the time I would open the truck door to get out, there would be a million skeeters on the inside of the truck. It is awful. Thanks for posting this!

#116167 July 5th, 2005 at 11:21 PM
A
A
Hello,
Not sure if you know this but maybe a reminder...skeeters hate!! SKIN SO SOFT by AVON. I put some in my horses fly spray, as a mix and they dont land on them or like it! Although it doesnt kill them (bummer) they wont land.purchase the bath or body OIL not the lotion. Noah could have left those two skeeters and the two flys off the ark. Hope this can help you .

#116168 July 9th, 2005 at 10:06 AM
I've used Garlic Barrier for 2 years now. It's great for those hasty bugs that eat up green beans and other veggies in the garden. The Mosquito Barrier is basicly the same thing - 99% pure garlic oil that you dilute in water. You also add canola oil as a surfactant and Polmolive Dish Soap to make them all mix. You don't need the oil or soap for a small veggie garden, but if doing large fields or if you are spraying to repel mosquitos you'll need them. Check out their web site - www.garlicbarrier.com. You can get info on Garlic Barrier and Mosquito Barrier.

Like I said - they are the same, but some other company has the marketing rights to the Mosquito Barrier name. (It's all made by the same company.)

Warning! Garlic Barrier does not work for our nasty Japanese Beetles eek

#116169 July 11th, 2005 at 01:14 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Dianna I take about two cloves of garlic mince in water add red pepper and orange oil or de-lymonine takes care of them pesky critters also I empty everything of water before evening and fill well after sunrise for dog waters. Use elephant garlic if you can find it I have trouble finding it here.
Jimmy

#116170 July 11th, 2005 at 10:16 AM
I started popping garlic pills again at night - got so tired of getting eaten up! Besides, it's good for yer heart and also helps your immune system and all that good stuff wink Now if I could just figure out how to keep the chiggers off me!

#116171 July 11th, 2005 at 02:02 PM
S
S
Heard from our county health dept, that Mineral Oil poured into small pond areas actually make the larvae of mosquitoes burst. I guess you'd have to use enough to cover the problem area .

The neighbor moved out in May and left 3 or 4 55 gallon drums w/no lids filled with water and the mosquitoes got bad. We tracked down source (not hard to do in the desert) and called them (C.H.Dept). They came out and tipped over the barrels, then charged my neighbor for the "service" about $200, I think.

Good idea to check old tires and other items around yard after it rains to keep that from being a problem. I wonder if used veggie oil would work as well?

#116172 July 27th, 2005 at 10:38 PM
T
T
Originally posted by MaryReboakly:

As an aside, there are a couple of things that I've done, that you might try (if you haven't already) as temporary solutions.

One thing that has worked for me in getting rid of mosquitos is putting out a plate of water and a few drops of lemon scented dishwashing liquid. The key is to put it a distance from where you are! This works well for outdoor bbq's, etc., when you'll be in one general area. The mosquitos will flock to the dish and die after feasting. I dont know how organic that is, unless you have organic lemon dish soap
Mary [/QB]
I just thought I would say that this doesn't work on Canadian Mosquitos!! I even tried putting real lemon in it and still I am prime rib dinner to them.

Gonna get whole bunch of garlic though and give that a try-I'll eat it if I have too!!

Link Copied to Clipboard