This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#116051 June 20th, 2005 at 03:29 AM
M
msgvb Offline OP
OP Offline
M
hey I'm Scott from Virginia Beach, VA.

just surfed in yesterday while doing some reading trying to figure out how to prune one of my very first houseplants properly. just a standard philodendron golden pothos that I almost killed this past winter. accidentally, of course.

I'm new to taking care of something else living besides myself, so be kind if I ask silly questions smile

neat site. I hope to learn a lot here.

#116052 June 20th, 2005 at 06:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi there Scott......glad to have you here! And don't worry--there are no silly questions. I used to think that at first too, but then I realized that if I was wondering about something that there were probably lots of people wondering hte same thing(no matter how silly I thought the question was).

Virginia Beach is a nice area.....been there a few times!

Hope that you come by and chat with us all a lot....Welcome to the forum! wavey

laura

#116053 June 20th, 2005 at 04:52 PM
Hello Scott
Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you. wavey
[Linked Image]

#116054 June 20th, 2005 at 07:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

Welcome to the forum!

This is a great place to find answers to your questions. There is always someone here that can help you out thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn

#116055 June 20th, 2005 at 10:25 PM
HI Scott,

welcome to the family,you ll see there s always someone on line to answer you and they re a great buch of good gardeners.

Virginia Beach is so very nice,went there a couple of times,lot of history and fun things to do. parte parte parte

Happy first post!

#116056 June 20th, 2005 at 10:36 PM
V
V
Hiya Scott, Good to have ya here! Hope you like your stay with us!

#116057 June 21st, 2005 at 09:03 AM
M
msgvb Offline OP
OP Offline
M
sure is warm & friendly around here!

I stopped by my friend's parents' flower shop tonight for a few tips on starting a bonsai. they ended up sending me home with instructions to find a small juniper bush or to take advantage of all the maple seedlings that have popped up on the property. never to walk out of the store empty handed, they gave me a bamboo and a small elm seedling to play around with, too.

any of you toyed around with bonsais?

#116058 June 21st, 2005 at 07:18 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi & Welcome

It's always nice to welcome another Virginian to the group.

I've killed a few bonsai does that count?

About the juniper Will Creed said that evergreens have to experience winter so you will have to set it outside during the cold months. Other than that There isn't much I can tell you.

I've decided to go with miniature plants instead. That way I don't have to feel like I am abusing them as I bind roots and hard prune it to get it the shape I like.

#116059 June 22nd, 2005 at 08:11 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Hey, Scott! wavey
I love the "about" page on your website! thumbup
You gonna fit RIGHT in here! laugh

I'm no stranger to Virginia Beach...my dad was stationed in Norfolk for a long time.
(A body washed up under my air mattress while I was swimming at Virginia Beach once. Pretty freaky.) sca

Well..nice to meet you!

Welcome to the forum!

Cindy

#116060 July 1st, 2005 at 11:12 PM
M
msgvb Offline OP
OP Offline
M
holy cow! a body?!?

heheh, glad you got a kick out of my space on the web wink
sometimes you're just in the mood for something... a little less ordinary.

as for the bonsais, yeah, I heard they're supposed to be kept outside and only brought in for special occasions.

I've been turning up a good bit of information lately, so I've got a bit of reading to do!

#116061 July 3rd, 2005 at 02:11 AM
R
R
Cindy- eeewwww!! something like that could give you nightmares for life.

msgvb- My son always thought he was an alien. When asked where he was from he would get real still and slowly point up to the sky!!

He was sick as a newborn and seeing pictures of himself in an O2 mask and under an O2 hood convinced him that he was from outerspace!!

#116062 July 4th, 2005 at 02:05 AM
M
msgvb Offline OP
OP Offline
M
haha, yeah kids...
I should have put that imagination to work and made some money with it!

ps.
I was gonna go to the beach this holiday, but between the shark attacks and dead bodies floating around all over the place...

Link Copied to Clipboard