This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
I sprayed my soap shield today. I have actively growing cucumbers, and well, the area in which they are growing is kinda not mulched, so they are on the dirt, tho I am trying to get them up the trellis each day. Anyway, after reading the cucumber problems that Giraffe is having, and my own bad experience with the mildews & such last year with my pumpkins, I thought it may be a good idea to start spraying some of my soap shield. I read the paper that came with it, and actually, it's good for pretty much everything in my garden, so I went at it.

NOW, how soon can I spray my Pyola? Can the 2 be mixed, can they be sprayed close together, what's up with this? I need to Pyola again, I'm noticing more damage on my stuff from the aphids & beetles.. but I don't want to do something wrong if I'm not supposed to use the soap shield close to when I've done the pyola, or vice versa.

Meg

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I think Ducki maybe able to help????? Duh ????
I thought she used that stuff....

O
O
I don't use soap shield in the summer, only in the dormant season in late fall and late winter/early spring on my peaches and apples. (100% effective on peach leaf curl)

However, I spray THAT flowable sulfur (listed for organic growers) every week or two as a fungicide in the summer on my fruits, potatoes, and some tomatoes. I spray pyola in the same mix as well as Safer's Soap for a double whammy against aphids and other insects. I also include Spray-n-Grow every week and Bill's Perfect Fertilizer every other week. That way, one spraying a week takes care of everything.

Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
You mean, you can put both in the same jug, and spray at once? mixed together? That would save me so much time..

I have both Soap Shield, and Shield All II. I wanted to make sure to not mess things up by not having what I needed when I needed it. I had baaaaaaaaaad problems last year with my accidental pumpkins. I also got the Pyola & Oil Away, but now wondering if I should have gotten thier neem oil stuff too. I like the Pyola, it seems to do a pretty decent job, but it does need reapplied every so often, or the buggies come back & start destroying again.

So, just making sure, I can mix either the soap shield or shield all with the pyola or oil away, and spray at once?

Meg

O
O
Yes, with all the different products I spray, there's no way I'm going to spray them individually. It takes me nearly 2 hours from mixing to cleanup as it is.

Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh thank goodness!! All this time, I've been alternating when I spray.. so time consuming! Thank you!!!! [Linked Image]

Meg

wavey Hey Meg,good luck with your cucumbers.

I'm sorry I didn't notice your post before, about an organic solution to a problem.

I don't usually read anything here.(I get too many holes in my tongue) grinnnn

Pyola is a very good organic pesticide,but I only use it as a last resort.Because it kills all the bugs,the very BAD,and alas, the very Good.

I'm a pick and squish ...ewww...kinda gal.

About mixing the pyola and fungicide? I don't know.

I grow my cucumbers on a fence.I mulch them heavily with wheat straw.I can't water anything.

Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
duckie, thank you so much for popping in to help. I try to not spray too often. I have so many beneficials this year, waaaaaaaaaay more than last year, and I even bought them last year! They didn't seem to want to hang around then. I guess I got something right this year tho, cuz I've got ladybugs galore, and I've even seen a few praying mantis babies. However, when I start to notice more damage.. then I feel the need to try & control it with a little extra help. I just don't see the buggies, other than the nasty japanese beetles that are just now starting to take over my yard. Oy. Those, I'm trying to squish, but *ewwww* it's nasty. They *crunch*. I'm seeing a lot of aphids again, and bean beatle damage. The leaves were good for a few weeks, and all of a sudden, they are getting "lacy" again. That's why I wanted to spray. As long as the good guys keep working, I let it go. It's hard to ignore damage tho. I know they are hanging out in other areas that I didn't spray, so I'm hoping they migrate over..

Babbling gardener, signing off. G'night!
Meg

Link Copied to Clipboard